help..some one is using my email to send viruses to others

help..some one is using my email to send viruses to others

Post by bren » Fri, 15 Nov 2002 11:08:12

helppppp...some 1 is using my isp email address to send
out viruses to others...what can i do?..thanx

help..some one is using my email to send viruses to others

Post by Bruce Chamber » Fri, 15 Nov 2002 11:40:08

Greetings --

    Install antivirus software, for a start.

Bruce Chambers
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

----
You can have peace.  Or you can have freedom.  Don't ever count on having
both at once. -- RAH

Quote:> helppppp...some 1 is using my isp email address to send
> out viruses to others...what can i do?..thanx

help..some one is using my email to send viruses to others

Post by dave » Fri, 15 Nov 2002 12:18:52

buy norton antivirus, it costs a couple of bucks, but when it saves you from
having to erase your entire computer you will be thankful!
nobody should surf the web without one...

> is that free ?..whats a good 1 to use?..thanx

Post by wilbur » Fri, 15 Nov 2002 13:24:56

Listen virus software want keep others from sending mail that is sent out by
them because THEY have the virus not you. There are several virus's out that
if you are in someone's address book and they have a virus's, then it uses
you as the sender. There is really nothing much you can do, because you
never really know who it is that has the virus...you could be in thousands
of people's address book. As far as buying virus software ...well shoot the
guy's making the virus software are the one's behind sending out the biggest
majorty of the virus's to begin with. There is big money in Virus software,
and a bunch of crooks behind it. See if you can find some free stuff on the
net to scan your computer, this Virus software is expensive and, you have to
keep on buying it as virus's come out .....its a never ending story. They
will give you a few updates , but well ya know how that goes.

Quote:> helppppp...some 1 is using my isp email address to send
> out viruses to others...what can i do?..thanx

help..some one is using my email to send viruses to others

Post by Jupiter Jone » Fri, 15 Nov 2002 14:04:10

There are viruses that "spoof" your address.
An infected computer that has your I-Mail address can send the virus
to others usually without you or the owner of the computer knowing the
source.
Get an antivirus software, run it and update it at least weekly, here
are a couple:
http://makeashorterlink.com/?I44E53172
http://www.grisoft.com/html/us_index.htm?session=254279960b18b0e166ace
4d35ddbae5d
You need a good anti virus software to ensure your computer is not the
culprit and to keep viruses off the computer.

--
Jupiter Jones
Please respond to newsgroup only.

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Greetings --

>    Install antivirus software, for a start.

>Bruce Chambers
>Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

>----
>You can have peace.  Or you can have freedom.  Don't

ever count on having
>both at once. -- RAH

>> helppppp...some 1 is using my isp email address to send
>> out viruses to others...what can i do?..thanx

>.

help..some one is using my email to send viruses to others

Post by DC » Fri, 15 Nov 2002 17:24:09

This one is free.
http://www.grisoft.com/html/us_index.htm

help..some one is using my email to send viruses to others

Post by MS-MVP WindowsX » Sat, 16 Nov 2002 04:43:19

AVG from www.grisoft.com is free for personal use.

Cari
www.coribright.com

> is that free ?..whats a good 1 to use?..thanx

Post by Unbreakabl » Sat, 16 Nov 2002 01:52:50

Let me explain to you what has happened.

At some point someone that had your email in their address book got attacked
by a virus. The virus stole the whole address book and then it was sent to
another user. The virus then stole the other address book also. So now there
are copies of the same virus on various computers that are infected. Now
this various keeps sending at random copies of it self to all the people on
the address database it has made, but not only that.
IT SENDS THEM USING THE FROM ADDRESS of one of the emails in the address
database. In other words you may never send an email, but the VIRUS is
sending a copy of itself  to other computers, FROM other computers,
sometimes having YOUR address as the person who sent it!

I was perplexed at this too, but I figured it out.

You cannot do anything, except asking your ISP to cancel your email address
and give you another one, because the old one has been stolen by the virus.
People MAY accuse YOU of sending them a virus, and this is NOT the case.

But to be totally sure it was not you, download the free AVG antivirus, and
scan your system. This is a nice and FREE program that I have been using.
Its Great!
Get it from here:
www.grisoft.com

--
If you have found my tips useful please take a look at my site
www.TalentGrid.com

THANKS
- Kenny S

Quote:> helppppp...some 1 is using my isp email address to send
> out viruses to others...what can i do?..thanx

---

help..some one is using my email to send viruses to others

Post by mrte » Sat, 16 Nov 2002 11:23:35

And it works!

AVG from www.grisoft.com is free for personal use.

Cari
www.coribright.com

---

help..some one is using my email to send viruses to others

Unbreakable, you might want to check for an update!  The latest release is 10-13-02.