DSL and home phoneline network

Post by Ryan » Mon, 07 Jan 2002 11:22:56

k, I am having a problem setting up dsl and a home phoneline network.

I have 3 computers on a homephoneline network, everything sets up fine, but
now i want to install dsl on the internet sharing pc.  The problem is, when
I install it (which is through a wizard on the cd that came with the dsl
modem) it screws up my homephoneline network.  Once rebooting a messages
comes up and says that network settings have been changed and the wizzard
must be ran again.  At this moment the dsl connection works, but not the
home phoneline network, once running the wizzard for the network, it will
work but the dsl modem won't.

I have also installed the dsl modem first and then the network.

For some reason the instillations mess each other up.

Anybody know what my problem might be or how to fix it.

I know this is a windows xp network board, but i don't know any other
boards.  But all 3 computers have windows 98

Is there a way to set up the dsl modem manually (so it doesn't mess up my
home network)

any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks

DSL and home phoneline network

Post by Ivan William » Mon, 07 Jan 2002 11:15:46

...if you're using a company like Bellsouth for your DSL once you turn on
Internet Sharing it will make all the other PC's obtain the IP from the main
PC. Thus making all the other PC's have the rule set to "Obtain IP
automatically"
You're better off having a Router, from there you can configure the Router
for the internal network (Peer-to-Peer) and then the DSL would plug right
into the Router, thus you would not have to set-up Internet connection
sharing, since the Router gives you the option for all PC's to get to the
internet via the Router (Default Gateway)

Quote:> k, I am having a problem setting up dsl and a home phoneline network.

> I have 3 computers on a homephoneline network, everything sets up fine,
but
> now i want to install dsl on the internet sharing pc.  The problem is,
when
> I install it (which is through a wizard on the cd that came with the dsl
> modem) it screws up my homephoneline network.  Once rebooting a messages
> comes up and says that network settings have been changed and the wizzard
> must be ran again.  At this moment the dsl connection works, but not the
> home phoneline network, once running the wizzard for the network, it will
> work but the dsl modem won't.

> I have also installed the dsl modem first and then the network.

> For some reason the instillations mess each other up.

> Anybody know what my problem might be or how to fix it.

> I know this is a windows xp network board, but i don't know any other
> boards.  But all 3 computers have windows 98

> Is there a way to set up the dsl modem manually (so it doesn't mess up my
> home network)

> any help would be greatly appreciated

> thanks

1. problem with phoneline network. hpes03 phoneline bridge!

hi i have a toshiba cable modem connected to the smc baracade router.
Port one of the router is connected to my computer thru cat5 cable. I
wanted my father and sister's computer to share internet as well so I
thought of configuring a home phoneline network. I bought a phoneline
bridge(linksys hpes03) and connect it port two of the cable router.
The bridge is then connect to two telephone cables, one goes to phone
wall jack and the other goes to my cordless phone. My father and
sister's computers has diamond phoneline network adaptor installed and
has their adaptors connected to the wall jack as well. Everything
worked well, all three of us could get online independently at the
same time, no interruption to incoming calls. This was perfect until
one day I decided to unplugged the bridge to
sort out the telephone cables and when i plug it back in. weird things
happened.
1)now if I connect my cordless phone to the back of the bridge, my
father and sister's computer can't get on internet thru phoneline
network. After I disconnect my cordless from the bridge, they can get
online again.
2) when they are online on their computer and there is an incoming
call, their internet connection gets interrupted if they pick up the
phone, but the connection resume after they hung up. Basically, they
can't surf the net and talk on the phone at the same time. Phoneline
network should not interfere with regular phone calls. Now that's
weird!

Now it seems there is something conflicting and gone bad, so here is
the followings have I have tried but with no luck.
1)switched to different telephone cables
2)use a telephone splitter at the wall jack to connect to both the
bridge and cordless phone, instead of cordless phone to the bridge.
3)move the computer to other rooms and tried different phone outlet.

None of that worked. I even called linksys and they had no idea what
was wrong. They said the bridge is just an adaptor and has no software
configuration to it. They suggested that I should contact my phone
company to check the phoneline.

My question is. Do you think something got shorted with the phoneline
bridge, or my home phoneline got shorted when I unplugged the phone
cables. Any suggestion is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Davie

2. WIN95 DOS printing don't work

3. Home Phoneline (PNA), wireless networking and XP

4. remote administration

5. Anyone have any recommendations for a Home Phoneline Network kit??

6. Best free TELNET client to run from Netscape

7. Home network via phoneline

8. XP Pro search facility gone missing

9. Windows 2k and Netgear PA301 Home Phoneline Network PCI Card:

10. Home network via phonelines?

11. home phoneline networking

12. Networking Win2k Pro & Win XP Home @ home via DSL router/modem/switch plus!!

13. VPN (XP Home for 2 networks, using Linksys DSL Routers)