boot ini. question

Post by Roy Lannin » Sun, 25 Aug 2002 05:26:31

Hello,

I have a boot ini. issue.

I've found KB Q289022 and some things at PowerQuest, so far. Can anyone recommend a site or two, or something?

Thanks, Roy

boot ini. question

Post by Lannin » Mon, 26 Aug 2002 10:29:16

Hi Walter,

I got the problem, and a related issue, fixed. I printed the two sites you
sent to keep with PowerQuest documents about boot ini. I paid Microsoft $35
(1-800 number) to help me sort through this and a related issue. Money well
spent - very, very good service. I've got a good understanding of boot ini.
in XP, now, thanks to MS and the links you sent.

*A Lesson I Learned* - First make sure the source partition in a Partition
Magic copy operation is free of errors if you're going to replace "C". PM
will delete "C" then halt due to errors on source partition. That's what got
me into a boot ini. problem in the first place.

I'm using the sweet again XP machine and I just checked for a reply to my
post. Your reply was there, of course. I went to my WIN98 machine, but it
still isn't getting any new posts from this particular newsgroup, other
newsgroups from MS, yes. Could MS server problems cause this difference in
my two computers both running the same version of O.E.?

Thanks for your years of help to so many, Roy.

> What specifically is your issue? There are some things that aren't
blatantly
> obvious in any existing  documentation.

> There is the following though:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q102873
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q99743

> --
> Walter Clayton - MS-MVP(MPS-D)
> Associate Expert
> Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
> http://www.dts-l.org

> Hello,

> I have a boot ini. issue.

> I've found KB Q289022 and some things at PowerQuest, so far. Can anyone
> recommend a site or two, or something?

> Thanks, Roy

boot ini. question

Post by Walter Clayto » Mon, 26 Aug 2002 11:17:59

MS is in fact having some issues with their server farm. I haven't heard
when they may be fixed. At the moment I'm hitting this NG through my ISP
rather than directly via the MS servers.

And, yes, always make sure your partitions are error free before beginning a
partition copy. ;-)

--
Walter Clayton - MS MVP(MPS-D)
Associate Expert

> Hi Walter,

> I got the problem, and a related issue, fixed. I printed the two sites you
> sent to keep with PowerQuest documents about boot ini. I paid Microsoft
$35
> (1-800 number) to help me sort through this and a related issue. Money
well
> spent - very, very good service. I've got a good understanding of boot
ini.
> in XP, now, thanks to MS and the links you sent.

> *A Lesson I Learned* - First make sure the source partition in a Partition
> Magic copy operation is free of errors if you're going to replace "C". PM
> will delete "C" then halt due to errors on source partition. That's what
got
> me into a boot ini. problem in the first place.

> I'm using the sweet again XP machine and I just checked for a reply to my
> post. Your reply was there, of course. I went to my WIN98 machine, but it
> still isn't getting any new posts from this particular newsgroup, other
> newsgroups from MS, yes. Could MS server problems cause this difference in
> my two computers both running the same version of O.E.?

> Thanks for your years of help to so many, Roy.

> > What specifically is your issue? There are some things that aren't
> blatantly
> > obvious in any existing  documentation.

> > There is the following though:
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q102873
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q99743

> > --
> > Walter Clayton - MS-MVP(MPS-D)
> > Associate Expert
> > Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
> > http://www.dts-l.org
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

> > Hello,

> > I have a boot ini. issue.

> > I've found KB Q289022 and some things at PowerQuest, so far. Can anyone
> > recommend a site or two, or something?

> > Thanks, Roy

1. Can't find boot.ini... only boot.ini.backup

I thought this was supposed to be in root directory. I can't find it. I have
disabled all file hiding. Just trying to figure out how to edit it. My dual
boot system is working fine so it should be somewhere right?

2. Corrupted CD/DVD drive names in BIOS and registry

3. Multiple WIN.INI SYSTEM.INI Boot?

4. Security zones

5. boot.ini question

6. music organisation

7. re Cant Ping - THANKS

8. Boot.ini Question

9. Boot.ini question

10. Boot.ini timeout setting question

11. boot.ini question

12. Moving WinXP Pro drive, have boot.ini questions