Problems with XP install (asms, incorrect function)

Problems with XP install (asms, incorrect function)

Post by Jason » Sat, 13 Apr 2002 09:46:10

I reformatted my HD and booted from the XP setup disks.
After that, I partitioned my drive fat32. the install
continued(blue screen part) and when i hit the next area
of the install (in windows interface) first thing that
happens is this:
*error: installation failed d:\i386\asms error message:
*incorrect function.
*fatal error: one of the components that windows needs to
*continue setup could not be installed.
*Incorrect function.
anyone know how to fix this frustrating problem?

Problems with XP install (asms, incorrect function)

Post by Tom Porterfiel » Sat, 13 Apr 2002 10:20:25

Quote:> I reformatted my HD and booted from the XP setup disks.
> After that, I partitioned my drive fat32. the install
> continued(blue screen part) and when i hit the next area
> of the install (in windows interface) first thing that
> happens is this:
> *error: installation failed d:\i386\asms error message:
> *incorrect function.
> *fatal error: one of the components that windows needs to
> *continue setup could not be installed.
> *Incorrect function.
> anyone know how to fix this frustrating problem?

This may be an indication that XP "lost" your CD drive at that point in
setup.  Try copying the i386 directory from the XP CD to the hard drive.
Then start setup by running winnt.exe in the i386 directory on your HD,
after loading smartdrv.exe.

--
Tom Porterfield
MS-MVP (DTS)

Problems with XP install (asms, incorrect function)

Post by Jason Tsan » Sat, 13 Apr 2002 11:00:39

See if this helps
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q311755

--
Jason Tsang - Windows XP MVP - DTS & Associate Expert

Find out about the MS MVP Program -
http://support.microsoft.com/support/mvp/

Find out about the Windows XP Expert Zone -
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

> I reformatted my HD and booted from the XP setup disks.
> After that, I partitioned my drive fat32. the install
> continued(blue screen part) and when i hit the next area
> of the install (in windows interface) first thing that
> happens is this:
> *error: installation failed d:\i386\asms error message:
> *incorrect function.
> *fatal error: one of the components that windows needs to
> *continue setup could not be installed.
> *Incorrect function.
> anyone know how to fix this frustrating problem?

1. Setup Problem - D:\I386\asms Incorrect Function

Here's the deal.  New 60GB Wester Digital drive.

Booted XP Pro CD and formatted dive as NTFS.  Installation began, blue
screen portion proceeded fine.  System restarted and Setup continues.
Splash screen shows, then switches to setup.

When setup tries to gather hardware information I get the following
error.  (This is from memory, so it may ne be exact)

Error: D:\I386\asms   Incorrect Function

Fatal Error: One or more components needed for setup to continue could
not be loaded.

Error:  Incorrect Function.

My system info is below:

FIC AZ11 motherboard
Visiontex GeForce 2MX video card
SoundBlaster Live Value
WD Cavier 60GB HD
HP CDR/W  (Don't remember the exact model)

Any ideas?  I'm planning on upgrading the MB bios this evening to see
if that helps.  Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. Apache webserver on Windows XP works only with localhost

3. ASMS, incorrect function

4. Icon Caption no longer Transparent

5. Install error e:\1386\asms the parameter is incorrect

6. Virtual TCP Needed

7. XP function GetVersionEx incorrect result on XP Home

8. ASMS error when re-installing xp

9. XP Professional - ISO install (I386\ASMS issue)

10. inline ARM ASM or how to link to ARMASM function?

11. Floppy problem: Incorrect function

12. FIXED CD "INCORRECT FUNCTION" Problem