USB 2.0 Hub Problem

Post by chu.. » Tue, 20 Jun 2006 00:20:50

Hi, I have a Dell Latitude D400 laptop with 2 X USB 2.0 ports.
To accomodate more USB devices, I bought a 4 port USB 2.0 hub with an
ac adaptor.

However, it is recognized as "Generic USB Hub" in device manager
(wherease it should say "Generic USB Hub on USB 2.0 Bus" if it is
recognized as USB 2.0 hub) and when I connect USB 2.0 device, Windows
give me a warning saying that "HI-SPEED USB Device Attached to
non-HI-SPEED Hub" and I can definately feel the decrease in transfer
speed.

The same device works fine at HI-SPEED (480Mbps) when connected to the
laptop directly, though.

I tried another USB 2.0 device, but getting the same result.
When connected to the laptop directly, it works fine, but when
connected to the hub, Windows give the same warning as before.

I thought it was a problem with the hub, so I went to the store and got
a replacement hub, but still the same problem.

Any help?

USB 2.0 Hub Problem

Post by Yves Lecler » Thu, 22 Jun 2006 10:52:31

>Hi, I have a Dell Latitude D400 laptop with 2 X USB 2.0 ports.
>To accomodate more USB devices, I bought a 4 port USB 2.0 hub with an
>ac adaptor.

>However, it is recognized as "Generic USB Hub" in device manager
>(wherease it should say "Generic USB Hub on USB 2.0 Bus" if it is
>recognized as USB 2.0 hub) and when I connect USB 2.0 device, Windows
>give me a warning saying that "HI-SPEED USB Device Attached to
>non-HI-SPEED Hub" and I can definately feel the decrease in transfer
>speed.

>The same device works fine at HI-SPEED (480Mbps) when connected to the
>laptop directly, though.

>I tried another USB 2.0 device, but getting the same result.
>When connected to the laptop directly, it works fine, but when
>connected to the hub, Windows give the same warning as before.

>I thought it was a problem with the hub, so I went to the store and got
>a replacement hub, but still the same problem.

>Any help?

I have several USB 2.0 hubs that are listed as "Generic USB Hub."  You may
have to completely all USB devices, hubs, root hubs and USB controllers from
Device Manager and  let XP re-install the drivers at new reboot.

Also, you must make sure that you have "Enhanced .... USB Controller.." listed
in Device Manager and be running XP Service Pack 1 or 2.

--
---

Y.

1. HELP: USB 2.0 Hub Problems with old 500 mhz computer

Two things. First, check with Dell's website to see if there are any
BIOS updates available.  Second, check the BIOS settings to make sure
that you don't have the ability to boot off USB devices enabled.  I find
that my computer will not boot up if I leave a USB Flash Drive in a USB
port. You may be experiencing something similar.

----
Nathan McNulty

2. xp problem - user environment?

3. USB 2.0 Root Hub shows as USB Root Hub in device manager

4. What files should be in C:\

5. USB 2.0 Hard Drive using USB 1 Root Hub

6. Lost Run as

7. USB 2.0 Hard Drive using USB 1 root hub

8. How to Expand All in newsgroup view

9. Plugging a Self Powered USB Hub into a Reg. USB Hub?

10. USB 2.0 Root Hub

11. XP does not recognize USB 2.0 hub

12. USB 2.0 HUB - 'NOT RECOGNIZED' in XP PRO

13. NEC 2.0 USB Hub