system restore suspended because of space but there IS space!

system restore suspended because of space but there IS space!

Post by Margo Gud » Wed, 21 Jun 2006 04:34:16

On the system restore tab of system properties I have tried to allocate
less disk space for system restore points, and turned it off for drives
I do not want monitored. I would like to keep system restore turned on
for the system drive only, actually. The system drive is a 60 GB
partition with more than 40 GB available. But system restore is
suspended because there is not enough space? I have run disk cleanup and
removed temp, cache, etc files. There are oodles of bytes available on
the system. I have also moved the pagefile to another, otherwise unused
partition. What is happening, and why can't I turn on system restore?
How much space should I reserve for it?
Thanks in advance for advice.

Margo Guda.

system restore suspended because of space but there IS space!

Post by JS » Wed, 21 Jun 2006 05:27:04

See this MS KB article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299904/en-us
Apparently there is a 15 minute wait after enough space is made available
for the suspended message to go away.

JS

Quote:> On the system restore tab of system properties I have tried to allocate
> less disk space for system restore points, and turned it off for drives I
> do not want monitored. I would like to keep system restore turned on for
> the system drive only, actually. The system drive is a 60 GB partition
> with more than 40 GB available. But system restore is suspended because
> there is not enough space? I have run disk cleanup and removed temp,
> cache, etc files. There are oodles of bytes available on the system. I
> have also moved the pagefile to another, otherwise unused partition. What
> is happening, and why can't I turn on system restore? How much space
> should I reserve for it?
> Thanks in advance for advice.

> Margo Guda.

system restore suspended because of space but there IS space!

Post by Thomas Wendel » Wed, 21 Jun 2006 16:16:38

Also, about your moving the page file: You moved it to another partition,
but is that partition o another physical HD?? If not, move it back, as the
system, while reading/writing the pagefile, has to move a long way to
another part of the disk instead of being at least somewhere near the data,
thus creating a slowdown of the computer...

The page is usually better off being on the boot/system partition or on
another physical HD
It being on another physical HD can speed up disk access for programs
slightly, as the disk heads are usually near the data used, the pagefile
access being on the other HD...

--
Tumppi
=================================

> See this MS KB article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299904/en-us
> Apparently there is a 15 minute wait after enough space is made available
> for the suspended message to go away.

> JS

>> On the system restore tab of system properties I have tried to allocate
>> less disk space for system restore points, and turned it off for drives I
>> do not want monitored. I would like to keep system restore turned on for
>> the system drive only, actually. The system drive is a 60 GB partition
>> with more than 40 GB available. But system restore is suspended because
>> there is not enough space? I have run disk cleanup and removed temp,
>> cache, etc files. There are oodles of bytes available on the system. I
>> have also moved the pagefile to another, otherwise unused partition. What
>> is happening, and why can't I turn on system restore? How much space
>> should I reserve for it?
>> Thanks in advance for advice.

>> Margo Guda.

1. System restore has been suspended NEED to give XP more space on HD Please Help?

Can anyone help me get more space on my HD allocated to XP?
Presario 1200 durum 854 with 20GB ME/OS originally installed . Upgraded to
XP with converted  partition. Both O/S are installed now and I can choose at
boot which one I want to boot to which goes smoothly. Unfortunately, there
is so little drive space allocated to Drive D that XP cannot function
properly. I also deleted programs which I need which hasn't helped that much
at all.
Local Disk (C:) 15.8 GB.
System_Save (D:) 2.78 GB (where XP is installed)
System restore has been suspended due to not having enough HD space. How can
I add another 6 GB to D?
Thank you in advance

2. Sharing modem on a Windows NT server

3. System Restore suspended even though I have plenty of disk space

4. Irritating performance

5. Restore suspended due to low space on hardrive

6. Compression, What compression

7. 12+ gigs of space gone after system restore

8. Update on SP4 release date - its now Wednesday

9. Cutting BACK on System Restore Space?

10. Disabling "System Restore" , does not free disik space.

11. How Much Space Should I Allocate to System Restore?

12. System Restore & disk space

13. System Restore space problem