Discovery of "My Computer Info" in XP

Post by Care » Thu, 31 Jan 2002 03:11:35

Quite by accident, I discovered a truly useful utility function in XP that I've not seen mentioned.  Its called "My Computer Information" and you can access it by opening your "Help and Support" window and typing in the "Search" box:  PC Health.
The topic that is revealed is: "Get Information about your Computer".  Click on this link and you'll get the following choices:

* View General System Information about this Computer

* View the Status of my System Hardware and Software

* Find Information about the Hardware installed on this Computer

* View the List of Microsoft Software installed on this Computer

* View Advanced System Information

There are built-in troubleshooters that can assist with hardware issues.  This is an excellent XP feature!

--
Carey Frisch (USA)

All inbound/outbound communications scanned with Norton AntiVirus 2002

Discovery of "My Computer Info" in XP

Post by Will Denn » Thu, 31 Jan 2002 03:27:21

Hi

Or you can open Help & Support, click on 'Use tools to view your
computer information and diagnose problems', then in the left hand
column click on 'My computer information'.

Will

Quite by accident, I discovered a truly useful utility function in XP
that I've not seen mentioned.  Its called "My Computer Information" and
you can access it by opening your "Help and Support" window and typing
in the "Search" box:  PC Health.
The topic that is revealed is: "Get Information about your Computer".
Click on this link and you'll get the following choices:

* View General System Information about this Computer

* View the Status of my System Hardware and Software

* Find Information about the Hardware installed on this Computer

* View the List of Microsoft Software installed on this Computer

* View Advanced System Information

There are built-in troubleshooters that can assist with hardware issues.
This is an excellent XP feature!

--
Carey Frisch (USA)

Discovery of "My Computer Info" in XP

Post by Alan L Brow » Thu, 31 Jan 2002 08:50:57

I Agree. Good info BUT I ran into a small problem with the first choice:
View General Information About This Computer. When I click on it, the green
line begins to move smartly to the right until underneath it, it says 66%
(collecting General Computer Information). Above the green line is written '
'TAG_COUNTRY28' is undefined '. At that point it halts with the hourglass
sitting there. I waited 5 minutes but no change. I was able to click on My
Computer Information on the left and then clicking on the other choices
worked okay. Anyone know how I can define 'TAG_COUNTRY28' so the next time I
can get to 100%?
--
Alan L Brown

Post by John » Thu, 31 Jan 2002 10:15:16

> Quite by accident, I discovered a truly useful utility function in XP that
> I've not seen mentioned.  Its called "My Computer Information" and you can
> access it by opening your "Help and Support" window and typing in the "Search"
> box:  PC Health.
> The topic that is revealed is: "Get Information about your Computer".  Click
> on this link and you'll get the following choices:

> * View General System Information about this Computer

> * View the Status of my System Hardware and Software

> * Find Information about the Hardware installed on this Computer

> * View the List of Microsoft Software installed on this Computer

> * View Advanced System Information

> There are built-in troubleshooters that can assist with hardware issues.  This
> is an excellent XP feature!

 Great....now, could you discover how to set your text to wrap at about 78 or
so?

  John
--
M$ and MSN...more useful every day...and one day it may actually get there!

Just remove NO to reply by e-mail

Discovery of "My Computer Info" in XP

Post by Ion Contro » Thu, 31 Jan 2002 12:30:54

Don't forget msinfo32.exe (actually listed under Help & Support).  Make a
shortcut... :)

[...]

Post by Ion Contro » Thu, 31 Jan 2002 12:32:55

Actually, I realized that I already had a shortcut under "System Tools."
But the Help & Support option is nice too... :)

[...]

Post by Volt » Fri, 01 Feb 2002 02:26:19

Except it gets some of it wrong... it's sure I have 512MB of RAM, when I
only have 256.

--
www.prop-pak.co.uk

> Hi

> Or you can open Help & Support, click on 'Use tools to view your
> computer information and diagnose problems', then in the left hand
> column click on 'My computer information'.

> Will

> Quite by accident, I discovered a truly useful utility function in XP
> that I've not seen mentioned.  Its called "My Computer Information" and
> you can access it by opening your "Help and Support" window and typing
> in the "Search" box:  PC Health.
> The topic that is revealed is: "Get Information about your Computer".
> Click on this link and you'll get the following choices:

> * View General System Information about this Computer

> * View the Status of my System Hardware and Software

> * Find Information about the Hardware installed on this Computer

> * View the List of Microsoft Software installed on this Computer

> * View Advanced System Information

> There are built-in troubleshooters that can assist with hardware issues.
> This is an excellent XP feature!

> --
> Carey Frisch (USA)

1. XP: "My Computer" hangs when right click on drives in "My Computer"

I right-click on the drives in the My Computer window and all I get is
an hour-glass pointer.

Yes:   I  1) uninstalled the video drivers  in safe mode,
              2) installed the new video drivers in safe mode
              3) installed the CORRECT sound drivers for XP for the
sound card.

SO, why would the "wait"  pointer happen when right-clicking on a drive
?

Thanks to whoever can help.

2. Windows XP vs. Excel/Word

3. "My Computer", "Control Panel", and "Trash Bin" error.

4. processor or hard drive

5. can't access "windows explorer" , "my computer", "control panel"

6. question

7. "ActiveX" and "plug-ins" message

8. Delet files

9. Problems in Netscape Plug-Ins "Cool Talk" and "Live 3D"

10. Network browser lists "Computer Descriptions" instead of "Computer Names"

11. When is the "first computer" installed no longer the "first computer"

12. Windows XP "Restarts" on "Turn OFF Computer"

13. |||||"""" How do I lock a CDROM """"|||||