explorer.exe using 100% of cpu

Post by Dan » Tue, 15 Apr 2003 08:18:43

Just recently, every time I use windows explorer, my cpu
usage spikes to 99%, and will not come down until I quit
the windows explorer.  Copmuter then slows down
dramitically.

explorer.exe using 100% of cpu

Post by Earl F. Parris » Tue, 15 Apr 2003 10:04:44

Quote:> Just recently, every time I use windows explorer, my cpu
> usage spikes to 99%, and will not come down until I quit
> the windows explorer.  Copmuter then slows down
> dramitically.

You cannot quit Windows Explorer.  It is the operating system shell.
It is running all the time.  If you close the last instance of
Explorer, the computer will shutdown.

Do you perhaps have a network drive or folder mapped on your
computer?

--
Earl F. Parrish

explorer.exe using 100% of cpu

Post by Dan » Tue, 15 Apr 2003 11:31:43

I do not have any mapped drives or have a network drive.
I was trying to figure out the problem further and
realized explorer.exe only used 100% of the cpu when I
had a particular folder open, then I narrowed it down to
2 files (avi. files about 700M each).  When I selected
either of the files, explorer jumped to 100% until I
closed windows explorer (I did not quit "explorer.exe"
from task manager)

I decided to burn the 2 files on CD.  The CPU still jumps
to 100% when I select the same file that I just burned
onto CD.  Once the file begins to play in Windows Media
Player, and windows explorer is closed, it's fine.  I've
had large files like that on my computer in the past, and
never had that problem.

btw, I do have all the available updates and virus
protection for my computer

thanks

Post by Unknow » Wed, 16 Apr 2003 01:22:48

Shut down your virus protection and test it.

> I do not have any mapped drives or have a network drive.
> I was trying to figure out the problem further and
> realized explorer.exe only used 100% of the cpu when I
> had a particular folder open, then I narrowed it down to
> 2 files (avi. files about 700M each).  When I selected
> either of the files, explorer jumped to 100% until I
> closed windows explorer (I did not quit "explorer.exe"
> from task manager)

> I decided to burn the 2 files on CD.  The CPU still jumps
> to 100% when I select the same file that I just burned
> onto CD.  Once the file begins to play in Windows Media
> Player, and windows explorer is closed, it's fine.  I've
> had large files like that on my computer in the past, and
> never had that problem.

> btw, I do have all the available updates and virus
> protection for my computer

> thanks

1. explorer.exe uses 100% of CPU

Hi,

When I open windows explorer, and click on a AVI. file,
explorer.exe spikes up to 100% and will not go down.
I've tried looking online, and received one suggestion to
remove a key in the registry (it worked for about 10 min,
then went back to normal).  This only happens with AVI.
files.

I have all updates for xp, and all virus definitions.

thanks!

2. Console via telnet

3. explorer.exe uses 100% of CPU?

4. Comments on CodeGuard for Borland C++ 4.5?

5. explorer.exe uses 90-100% of CPU cycles

6. Using Media Type to guarantee use of a custom filter

7. explorer.exe uses 100 percent of my cpu

8. Source Plug-In!!!

9. Explorer.exe using 90-100% of CPU cycles

10. explorer.exe using 100% CPU

11. CPU at 100%, explorer.exe hogging CPU usage, SLOW notebook!!

12. lsass.exe & svchost.exe using 100% cpu

13. Explorer.exe causes 100% CPU usage