Sound Card Drivers Installed Auto, Why?

Post by Vukodlak7 » Thu, 25 Jul 2002 20:29:30

I need to install updated drivers for my sound card. In order to do this I
need to uninstall the current drivers and reboot. But when XP Pro starts up
it automaticaly installs drivers for it. Why can't I cancel it?

Sound Card Drivers Installed Auto, Why?

Post by Kell » Fri, 26 Jul 2002 01:51:52

Quote:> I need to install updated drivers for my sound card. In order to do
> this I need to uninstall the current drivers and reboot. But when XP
> Pro starts up it automaticaly installs drivers for it. Why can't I
> cancel it?

The short answer is, if you delete the driver and then reboot, XP detects
an error and is trying to  correct it by reinstalling the driver.
Try this, open the device manager:
To open Device Manager, click Start, and then click Control Panel. Click
Performance and Maintenance, and then click System. On the Hardware tab,
click Device Manager.

Scroll down to sound video and game controllers, double click on your
soundcard, i.e." soundblaster live ". Choose the drivers tab, select the
update drivers option. point it to the location of the new driver, follow
directions and you should be on your way.

You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the
Administrators group in order to complete this procedure. If your
computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may also
prevent you from completing this procedure.
You must have the following permissions and privileges to install a
driver. Administrators are granted these permissions:
The Load\Unload Drivers privilege.
The permissions needed to copy files to the system32\drivers directory.
The permissions needed to write settings to the registry.
Being logged on to your computer with these privileges can make your
computer's security vulnerable. For more information on why you should
not use administrator privileges unless absolutely necessary, see Related
Topics.

When you are upgrading a driver or installing new hardware, Windows
Update is automatically started. This allows you to search for the driver
to download and install. Your computer must have access to the Internet
to start Windows Update. For more information on Windows Update, see
Related Topics.
If you are not an administrator or a member of the Administrators group,
you can use Run as to perform certain administrator functions. For more
information on how to use Run as, see Related Topics.

HTH

Kelly

Post by Vukodlak7 » Fri, 26 Jul 2002 02:10:09

> > I need to install updated drivers for my sound card. In order to do
> > this I need to uninstall the current drivers and reboot. But when XP
> > Pro starts up it automaticaly installs drivers for it. Why can't I
> > cancel it?

> The short answer is, if you delete the driver and then reboot, XP detects
> an error and is trying to  correct it by reinstalling the driver.
> Try this, open the device manager:
> To open Device Manager, click Start, and then click Control Panel. Click
> Performance and Maintenance, and then click System. On the Hardware tab,
> click Device Manager.

> Scroll down to sound video and game controllers, double click on your
> soundcard, i.e." soundblaster live ". Choose the drivers tab, select the
> update drivers option. point it to the location of the new driver, follow
> directions and you should be on your way.

the above worked thanks.
I guess unlike Win 9x when the XP detects new hardware you can't just
cancel.

Post by Kell » Fri, 26 Jul 2002 02:37:26

>> > I need to install updated drivers for my sound card. In order to do
>> > this I need to uninstall the current drivers and reboot. But when
>> > XP Pro starts up it automaticaly installs drivers for it. Why can't
>> > I cancel it?

>> The short answer is, if you delete the driver and then reboot, XP
>> detects an error and is trying to  correct it by reinstalling the
>> driver. Try this, open the device manager:
>> To open Device Manager, click Start, and then click Control Panel.
>> Click Performance and Maintenance, and then click System. On the
>> Hardware tab, click Device Manager.

>> Scroll down to sound video and game controllers, double click on your
>> soundcard, i.e." soundblaster live ". Choose the drivers tab, select
>> the update drivers option. point it to the location of the new
>> driver, follow directions and you should be on your way.

> the above worked thanks.
> I guess unlike Win 9x when the XP detects new hardware you can't just
> cancel.

In essence yes, because it's generally done before you would have a
chance to.

1. driver for sound card cant be installed

hello,
I cant use my sound card since win XP cant install the
driver.
I tried to find a compatible driver on the Internet both
with hardware driver service and independently on the
manufacture home page ,but without success.
The sound card is Yamaha sound wave 128 PCI ,sy-p8.
Does anyone know how to fix it?

2. Internet Connection Sharing

3. Sound card shows in system info, but drivers won't install

4. Customizing the task bar

5. My sound card dosent work after installing the drivers

6. avi

7. Sound card driver can't be installed

8. IE6 6.028

9. sound and video card drivers not installed

10. Help me to install CT4730 model sound card driver

11. Sound Driver to simulate Sound Card???

12. Does any audio sound card - driver can support the Direct Sound?

13. Sound Blaster Compatible Sound Card Driver