Can taskbar icons be removed?

Post by Rob » Sun, 14 Apr 2002 02:59:03

Hi all,

  Can the icons next to the clock be removed without closing down the
relevant program? Is it possible to have a program running with no taskbar
indication at all, i.e. the program will run in the background and the user
will not be aware that it is actually running?
  Any help is much appreciated,
      Thanks  Rob

Post by Jim Eshelma » Sun, 14 Apr 2002 03:58:57

>   Can the icons next to the clock be removed without closing down the
> relevant program? Is it possible to have a program running with no taskbar
> indication at all, i.e. the program will run in the background and the
> user will not be aware that it is actually running?

If you mean items in the Notification Area -- what used to be called the
System Tray -- yes.

Right-click the taskbar, pick Properties | Customize. Pick the item in
question and mark it to always hide.

--
Jim Eshelman MS-MVP
Windows Support Center: www.aumha.org

Can taskbar icons be removed?

Post by Rob » Sun, 14 Apr 2002 14:17:08

Thanks Jim, icons are now hidden !!!!

   Rob

> >   Can the icons next to the clock be removed without closing down the
> > relevant program? Is it possible to have a program running with no
taskbar
> > indication at all, i.e. the program will run in the background and the
> > user will not be aware that it is actually running?

> If you mean items in the Notification Area -- what used to be called the
> System Tray -- yes.

> Right-click the taskbar, pick Properties | Customize. Pick the item in
> question and mark it to always hide.

> --
> Jim Eshelman MS-MVP
> Windows Support Center: www.aumha.org
> Newsletter "The E-List" www.aumha.org/elist.htm

1. How to remove a "Safely remove hardware" icon from taskbar?

Hi all.

On my taskbar, by the clock, I have a small Icon that represents my
Compactflash memory card reader.  If I put my mouse over it I get the
message saying "Safely remove hardware".  If I right click on it I get
just one option, the same "Safely remove hardware".

If I left click on it I get more detail, i.e. the name ot the reader
and it's drive letter, G.  Double clicking on it brings up a window
listing just one object, my compactflash reader, and options to remove
it, cancel or close.

I can't find an option to close or remove this icon.

I don't *want* to remove my card reader, it's for my canon s40 digital
camera and I use it often.  I *do* want to remove the annoying little
icon from the screen, to tidy up, to remove a wasted process, and to
save anyone else from removing it for me.

So, how please?

Many thanks.

--
Mike Barnard, Worthing, UK.

AMD 1700+ on Soltek SL-75DRV2
512meg PC2100 RAM
Creative Geforce3 200Ti
Barracuda IV 60gig (C)
IBM 30gig HD (D)
Creative CDRW 8432E (E)
Hitachi 32x CD drive (F)
Jessops CompactFlash card reader (G)
Creative Audigy soundcard
Sirocco Crossfire speakers
Phillips 17" (107S) Monitor
Windows XP Home - registered
Diamond Supramax 56k USB modem

(Remove my TROUSERS spamblock to reply by email)

2. Possible Fix for IE6 SP1 Picture Loading Problem

3. How to Remove Taskbar Icon

4. Windows CE & /Windows directory

5. removing icon from taskbar

6. Re-Activate Winsows XP Pro

7. Remove Icon from taskbar

8. linking audio files seamlessly

9. To Remove Icon from Taskbar

10. removing icons from desktop and taskbar

11. Safely Remove Hardware Icon in Taskbar

12. removing icons from the taskbar/start

13. remove taskbar icon