Disk Cleanup hangs

Post by sfrenc » Wed, 15 Jan 2003 09:46:29

When I run the disk cleanup utility, it gets to the
message " Scanning: Compress Old Files" and then hangs
there. I have tried safe mode, and the same thing
happens. Any suggestions?

Disk Cleanup hangs

Post by Mr. X » Wed, 15 Jan 2003 10:08:50

Visit http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm and scroll
down to Line #48.  In the right-hand window, click on
"Disk Cleanup - Compress Old Files Freezes"

(courtesy of Kelly Theriot, MS-MVP)

1. Disk Cleanup Hung

When i try to run disk cleanup, it displays three progress
bars and the message "compressing files".  It does this
indefinitely without ever finishing (ie it hangs).  I try
to exit the program by hitting cancel and the progress
window disappears, but in task manager it still says
cleanmgr.exe is using 99% of CPU so it must be getting
really stuck.  i have tried getting rid of all my temp
files and caches, etc.  also have tried disabling screen
savers and antivirus.  any suggestions on what would cause
this and what i can do to fix this?
Thanks!
MD

2. XP shuts down

3. disk cleanup hangs

4. cannot access the specified device, path, or file error message

5. Disk Cleanup hangs

6. Ligos MPEG & WMEncoder & XP

7. Scrolling Graphics Fn

8. Windows XP Pro Disc Cleanup Hangs