Windows XP upgrade with OEM version of Windows 98

Windows XP upgrade with OEM version of Windows 98

Post by Teres » Mon, 04 Mar 2002 07:35:54

Can I purchase and install the Windows XP upgrade if my
current operating system is an OEM version of Windows 98?

Windows XP upgrade with OEM version of Windows 98

Post by Cari » Mon, 04 Mar 2002 08:43:44

Quote:> Can I purchase and install the Windows XP upgrade if my
> current operating system is an OEM version of Windows 98?

If your OEM CD has cab files on it, you will be able to do the format and
clean install option upgrade.

If your OEM CD is a manufacturer's System Restore CD, you will be able to do
an upgrade without a clean formatted hard drive.

Cari
www.coribright.com

Windows XP upgrade with OEM version of Windows 98

Post by Cecil War » Mon, 04 Mar 2002 21:02:02

Depends.

The question is do you have a "real" Win98 CD - albeit an OEM version - with
the normal Win98 setup program on it? (That is, a CD with the real MS Win98
Setup program on it. As opposed to a manufacturer's "restore CD" that
doesn't allow you to set up the system.)  If you are in doubt, you should
buy the full version.

Why do you need a real Win98 CD? - Because the "upgrade" version of WinXp
Setup program asks to have a brief glimpse at your Win98 CD as
"proof-of-purchase" if you are doing a "clean installation" of WinXp.
("Clean installation" means one where you let WinXp completely wipe out the
existing system and install everything from scratch.)

Clean-install is extremely STRONGLY recommended, even though letting WinXp
setup "upgrade" your Win98 installation may sound tempting because its easy.
(I know this means wiping the system, and means having to back everything
up, but you should back up anyway, and you'll just have to believe me that a
clean install is the only way to guarantee a hassle-free future.)

--
Cecil Ward