can't get ip address frome dhcp server

Post by mark » Sat, 02 Mar 2002 00:16:23

 I am Losing my internet connection when xp goes in power
saving mode. Every time the computer goes in to the power
saving mode and then when I trigger it to come back on,
my network card to my cable modem changes the ip address
I get from the dhcp server from my ISP(road Runner). It
goes to the automatic IP Addressing for  a local Lan.
Even when I try to repair it , the repair program  for
that connection stops responding. I can't even tell my
nic to get the ip address obtain automatically. It goes
to the automatic ip addressing applet.  The only way I
can get my Ip address back from my ISP is to restart my
computer. I can reproduce this problem everytime.
Thanks for any help

Win Xp Pro
Mark
.

Post by allan grossman [ms-mvp » Sat, 02 Mar 2002 00:49:53

> I am Losing my internet connection when xp goes in power
>saving mode. Every time the computer goes in to the power
>saving mode and then when I trigger it to come back on,
>my network card to my cable modem changes the ip address
>I get from the dhcp server from my ISP(road Runner). It
>goes to the automatic IP Addressing for  a local Lan.
>Even when I try to repair it , the repair program  for
>that connection stops responding. I can't even tell my
>nic to get the ip address obtain automatically. It goes
>to the automatic ip addressing applet.  The only way I
>can get my Ip address back from my ISP is to restart my
>computer. I can reproduce this problem everytime.
>Thanks for any help

Hi, Mark -

After logging on as a user with administrator privileges, do the
following:

Right-click "My Computer" and select "Manage".

Click "Device Manager" then the "+" sign next to "Network Adapters".

Right-click the listing for your network adapter, select "Properties"
and then hit the "Power Management" tab.

Uncheck the box that says "Allow the computer to turn off this device
to save power."

That oughtta fix it.
--

allan grossman, ms-mvp (windows xp)
associate expert

can't get ip address frome dhcp server

Post by jlhoug » Sun, 03 Mar 2002 13:28:08

Go to your control panel> power and disable or modify power saving settings.
It isn't very useful unless you have a laptop or portable.

Quote:> I am Losing my internet connection when xp goes in power
> saving mode. Every time the computer goes in to the power
> saving mode and then when I trigger it to come back on,
> my network card to my cable modem changes the ip address
> I get from the dhcp server from my ISP(road Runner). It
> goes to the automatic IP Addressing for  a local Lan.
> Even when I try to repair it , the repair program  for
> that connection stops responding. I can't even tell my
> nic to get the ip address obtain automatically. It goes
> to the automatic ip addressing applet.  The only way I
> can get my Ip address back from my ISP is to restart my
> computer. I can reproduce this problem everytime.
> Thanks for any help

> Win Xp Pro
> Mark
> .

1. DHCP client can't get ip address from new server

All of our microsoft clients are having problems with the obtaining
a dhcp allocated ip address.  The server(SUN) they were accessing has
been deactivated,  It has been replaced with a more stable server(HP).

When we run winipcfg it has the address of the old server in the
"more info" window.  We cannot seem to get the clients to recognize
the new server.  I have "Sniffed" the packets and the following occurs:

client: DHCP DIscover
server: DHCP offer
client: DHCP discover
server: DHCP offer

This continues for 4 cycles then waits a time and reoccurs.

I have tried reading the packets captured by our Sniffer but am
not sure exactly why the client does not recognize
the DCHP offer.  They seem to be following the RFC1541 specs.

Any help, ideas  would be appreciated.

--
   Wes Hall                                        Armstrong State College

2. can't get ADOCE 3.1 to wok on HPC 2000 OS - where do i get an older version?

3. Client can't get IP-Address from DHCP-Server

4. space eater?

5. changing DHCP server's IP address

6. Unistalling Accessibility Options?

7. DHCP Server and IP Address change of the server

8. How to make harddrive removable in Win XP Pro?

9. Getting IP address of client, or own IP address

10. Having problems getting an IP address assigned with DHCP.

11. Getting DHCP address on boot, but can't route TCP

12. Getting IP-adress at validated logon from DHCP IP-adress pool

13. Unable to contact DHCP server, IP address needs to be renewed