Allowing incoming connections to my computer via vpn...

Allowing incoming connections to my computer via vpn...

Post by John » Thu, 25 Jul 2002 11:02:32

My friend who lives in the next town over is trying to connect to my small
home network via vpn so we can quickly and easily transfer files and data.
My network consists of 2 computers connected through lan using a linksys
4-port switch router. The router is connected to the internet via the WAN
port. Originally we he was trying to somehow send a rather large file to me.
My first thought was to directly connect somehow, but at the time I didn't
know how to do this. So I thought we might be able to transfer the file
using Windows Messenger as we are both running xp home. But that didn't work
for some annoying reason we couldn't connect to eachother. We are both
running the xp firewall and the 3rd party firewall Norton and we are both
connected to lan via linksys router. So basically we have the same setup. We
tried disabling all firewalls and going directly into cable modem instead of
through router and that didn't even work. Then I read up on vpn connections
to directly connect to a network. It seemed actually fairly simple. I
decided he would connect to my network. So I ran the xp "make a new
connection" wizard and then selected "allow incoming connections". This
seemed like it would all actually work. I eagerly hit the next button in the
wizard and it came up with a list of devices. Except there was only one
device listed... my modem. It gave me the option to choose which devices
would be used to allow the connections. Only problem was, my network
adapter/card was not listed. I obviously want to connect through my network
adapter to get a good solid fast broadband connection. I tried everything,
but I could not get it to recognize my network card as a valid connection
device. Would someone please help me. You guys know gads more about
networking than me. I know you will know what I should do.

Allowing incoming connections to my computer via vpn...

Post by Bill Sanderso » Thu, 25 Jul 2002 11:23:22

Several issues here.

You might want to be sure that you've updated the firmware in the Linksys
router to one which includes UPnP functionality--i.e. the "latest."
(which is 1.42.7 if you have the popular befsr line.)

This may help out with Messenger, which wasn't a bad idea.

Now, VPN:

Ignore the screen showing devices--don't check anything, and just hit next.
On the NEXT screen is a checkbox to enable VPN.  You don't need to say
anything about the network card, it just enables it on all network
interfaces.  Be sure to go through the process of enabling a user with a
password to connect remotely, as the UI will guide you to do.

Then, you need to enable VPN traffic to make it inbound through the Linksys:

On the filters page (first one reached via advanced)
make  sure SPI is disabled, and PPTP Passthrough is enabled.
on the Forwarding page, forward 1723 through 1723, tcp, to the correct
machine, enabled.

If you have multiple machines behind the router, you can test whether VPN is
enabled on the host machine by attempting a VPN connection over the lan
behind the router.  If this works, then any further issues must relate to
the router or possibly the machine on the other end.  You can test the
router by dialling out with a machine behind the router, and using the
dialup ISP to make an inbound VPN connection through the router.

Once your friend succeeds in connecting, he should right-click the
connectoid down by the clock and choose status, details, and note the Server
IP address.

Then do Start, Run, \\ServerIPaddress <enter>
and he should see the shared resources on your machine.

Quote:> My friend who lives in the next town over is trying to connect to my small
> home network via vpn so we can quickly and easily transfer files and data.
> My network consists of 2 computers connected through lan using a linksys
> 4-port switch router. The router is connected to the internet via the WAN
> port. Originally we he was trying to somehow send a rather large file to
me.
> My first thought was to directly connect somehow, but at the time I didn't
> know how to do this. So I thought we might be able to transfer the file
> using Windows Messenger as we are both running xp home. But that didn't
work
> for some annoying reason we couldn't connect to eachother. We are both
> running the xp firewall and the 3rd party firewall Norton and we are both
> connected to lan via linksys router. So basically we have the same setup.
We
> tried disabling all firewalls and going directly into cable modem instead
of
> through router and that didn't even work. Then I read up on vpn
connections
> to directly connect to a network. It seemed actually fairly simple. I
> decided he would connect to my network. So I ran the xp "make a new
> connection" wizard and then selected "allow incoming connections". This
> seemed like it would all actually work. I eagerly hit the next button in
the
> wizard and it came up with a list of devices. Except there was only one
> device listed... my modem. It gave me the option to choose which devices
> would be used to allow the connections. Only problem was, my network
> adapter/card was not listed. I obviously want to connect through my
network
> adapter to get a good solid fast broadband connection. I tried everything,
> but I could not get it to recognize my network card as a valid connection
> device. Would someone please help me. You guys know gads more about
> networking than me. I know you will know what I should do.

Allowing incoming connections to my computer via vpn...

Post by John » Fri, 26 Jul 2002 02:16:46

Thanks a lot Bill. You are the man.

Quote:> My friend who lives in the next town over is trying to connect to my small
> home network via vpn so we can quickly and easily transfer files and data.
> My network consists of 2 computers connected through lan using a linksys
> 4-port switch router. The router is connected to the internet via the WAN
> port. Originally we he was trying to somehow send a rather large file to
me.
> My first thought was to directly connect somehow, but at the time I didn't
> know how to do this. So I thought we might be able to transfer the file
> using Windows Messenger as we are both running xp home. But that didn't
work
> for some annoying reason we couldn't connect to eachother. We are both
> running the xp firewall and the 3rd party firewall Norton and we are both
> connected to lan via linksys router. So basically we have the same setup.
We
> tried disabling all firewalls and going directly into cable modem instead
of
> through router and that didn't even work. Then I read up on vpn
connections
> to directly connect to a network. It seemed actually fairly simple. I
> decided he would connect to my network. So I ran the xp "make a new
> connection" wizard and then selected "allow incoming connections". This
> seemed like it would all actually work. I eagerly hit the next button in
the
> wizard and it came up with a list of devices. Except there was only one
> device listed... my modem. It gave me the option to choose which devices
> would be used to allow the connections. Only problem was, my network
> adapter/card was not listed. I obviously want to connect through my
network
> adapter to get a good solid fast broadband connection. I tried everything,
> but I could not get it to recognize my network card as a valid connection
> device. Would someone please help me. You guys know gads more about
> networking than me. I know you will know what I should do.

Allowing incoming connections to my computer via vpn...

Post by John » Fri, 26 Jul 2002 02:18:19

1 more thing. Will my 3rd party firewall get in the way? Should I disable it
or not bother? I know xp's firewall will automatically set itself to allow
incoming vpn connections.

Quote:> My friend who lives in the next town over is trying to connect to my small
> home network via vpn so we can quickly and easily transfer files and data.
> My network consists of 2 computers connected through lan using a linksys
> 4-port switch router. The router is connected to the internet via the WAN
> port. Originally we he was trying to somehow send a rather large file to
me.
> My first thought was to directly connect somehow, but at the time I didn't
> know how to do this. So I thought we might be able to transfer the file
> using Windows Messenger as we are both running xp home. But that didn't
work
> for some annoying reason we couldn't connect to eachother. We are both
> running the xp firewall and the 3rd party firewall Norton and we are both
> connected to lan via linksys router. So basically we have the same setup.
We
> tried disabling all firewalls and going directly into cable modem instead
of
> through router and that didn't even work. Then I read up on vpn
connections
> to directly connect to a network. It seemed actually fairly simple. I
> decided he would connect to my network. So I ran the xp "make a new
> connection" wizard and then selected "allow incoming connections". This
> seemed like it would all actually work. I eagerly hit the next button in
the
> wizard and it came up with a list of devices. Except there was only one
> device listed... my modem. It gave me the option to choose which devices
> would be used to allow the connections. Only problem was, my network
> adapter/card was not listed. I obviously want to connect through my
network
> adapter to get a good solid fast broadband connection. I tried everything,
> but I could not get it to recognize my network card as a valid connection
> device. Would someone please help me. You guys know gads more about
> networking than me. I know you will know what I should do.

Allowing incoming connections to my computer via vpn...

Post by Bill Sanderso » Fri, 26 Jul 2002 08:38:40

Actually, both firewalls will probably need configuration.  If XP's firewall
does this automagically, I'm not aware of it, which doesn't prove
much--somebody tell me this is true!  I would go into the firewall settings
and add a definition for PPTP VPN, 1723 external, 1723 internal, TCP. IP or
netbios name of the VPN host XP Pro machine.

XP does take care of GRE protocol 47 automagically.

I can't speak about your other firewall---don't know enough to say what to
do--nearly all firewall vendors have good info in their web support sites
about how to do PPTP VPN through them.

I'd disable the third-party firewall for test purposes to get this going,
and then figure out what needs to be done in the longer term.

> 1 more thing. Will my 3rd party firewall get in the way? Should I disable
it
> or not bother? I know xp's firewall will automatically set itself to allow
> incoming vpn connections.

> > My friend who lives in the next town over is trying to connect to my
small
> > home network via vpn so we can quickly and easily transfer files and
data.
> > My network consists of 2 computers connected through lan using a linksys
> > 4-port switch router. The router is connected to the internet via the
WAN
> > port. Originally we he was trying to somehow send a rather large file to
> me.
> > My first thought was to directly connect somehow, but at the time I
didn't
> > know how to do this. So I thought we might be able to transfer the file
> > using Windows Messenger as we are both running xp home. But that didn't
> work
> > for some annoying reason we couldn't connect to eachother. We are both
> > running the xp firewall and the 3rd party firewall Norton and we are
both
> > connected to lan via linksys router. So basically we have the same
setup.
> We
> > tried disabling all firewalls and going directly into cable modem
instead
> of
> > through router and that didn't even work. Then I read up on vpn
> connections
> > to directly connect to a network. It seemed actually fairly simple. I
> > decided he would connect to my network. So I ran the xp "make a new
> > connection" wizard and then selected "allow incoming connections". This
> > seemed like it would all actually work. I eagerly hit the next button in
> the
> > wizard and it came up with a list of devices. Except there was only one
> > device listed... my modem. It gave me the option to choose which devices
> > would be used to allow the connections. Only problem was, my network
> > adapter/card was not listed. I obviously want to connect through my
> network
> > adapter to get a good solid fast broadband connection. I tried
everything,
> > but I could not get it to recognize my network card as a valid
connection
> > device. Would someone please help me. You guys know gads more about
> > networking than me. I know you will know what I should do.

1. Incoming VPN via ethernet & modem

I am trying to set up an incoming VPN connection (XP
Professional) using ethernet only, not modem.  Using the
Network Connection Wizard for incoming connections, I do
not put an "X" next to the modem or any of the other
detected devices (i.e., WAN Miniport and Direct
Parallel), and on the next page I do select "Allow
virtual private connections".  However, when the phone
line rings, the modem answers on the first ring.  There
is no other application that uses the modem to answer.
When I delete the incoming connection, the modem no
longer auto-answers.

Is there a setting somewhere that tells the modem which
ring to pick up on, or not to answer at all?

Thanks,
Gary

2. System restore - start afresh - how do I do it?

3. Can't allow incoming connections

4. Logging into another NT workstation

5. lost files on upgrade

6. Allow incoming connections on a block of ports in WinXP Home?

7. director computer animation

8. Allowing an incoming connection through Linksys

9. Allowing incoming connections and terminal services conflict

10. Incoming Connections WIN2K TO XP Pro (VPN)

11. VPN Incoming Connections Properties

12. Incoming VPN connection to XP Pro