Re-Activation after computer rebuild

Post by Dwigh » Sat, 03 May 2003 05:27:53

In the next week I'll be doing a major upgrade to my
primary home computer...motherboard, CPU, HDD, etc.

This computer currently has XP Pro installed & I want to
remove it & re-install on the new computer. (The old one
will be reformatted & have XP Home installed)

What do I need to do with Microsoft to make this happen
smoothly?

Thanks

Re-Activation after computer rebuild

Post by David Cand » Sat, 03 May 2003 05:36:57

Nothing as long as you are allowed to move pro. Type eula.txt in Start - Run to find out. Basically if XP came with your computer you can't. If bought in a shop you need do nothing. Just activate on the new computer by internet or phone.

--
http://www.g2mil.com/Apr2003.htm
http://prorev.com/forbesrussia.htm

Post by Michael Steven » Sat, 03 May 2003 06:10:38

> In the next week I'll be doing a major upgrade to my
> primary home computer...motherboard, CPU, HDD, etc.

> This computer currently has XP Pro installed & I want to
> remove it & re-install on the new computer. (The old one
> will be reformatted & have XP Home installed)

> What do I need to do with Microsoft to make this happen
> smoothly?

> Thanks

Check the web page in the link below on moving XP.
Copy and paste the link into your web browser address bar.
http://michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html
--

Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP

http://michaelstevenstech.com

Re-Activation after computer rebuild

Post by Kim A. VanLandingha » Sat, 03 May 2003 06:53:22

If this is the 1st time trying to reactivate WinXP, you may not have any
problems but then again who knows with MS.

You might  have to call MS and tell them what you have done and they will
give you some numbers to reactivate.

I believe you will get 1 auto reactivate where you go through the Internet,
but from then on you will have to call.

Good luck!

kimvan

Quote:> In the next week I'll be doing a major upgrade to my

Post by Michael Steven » Sat, 03 May 2003 10:02:25

> If this is the 1st time trying to reactivate WinXP, you may not have
> any problems but then again who knows with MS.

> You might  have to call MS and tell them what you have done and they
> will give you some numbers to reactivate.

> I believe you will get 1 auto reactivate where you go through the
> Internet, but from then on you will have to call.

> Good luck!

> kimvan

>> In the next week I'll be doing a major upgrade to my
>> primary home computer...motherboard, CPU, HDD, etc.

>> This computer currently has XP Pro installed & I want to
>> remove it & re-install on the new computer. (The old one
>> will be reformatted & have XP Home installed)

>> What do I need to do with Microsoft to make this happen
>> smoothly?

>> Thanks

Kim,
It depends on hardware changes, and if on the first hardware change you make
enough changes, it could trigger a phone call activation.
More info on XP activation.
http://aumha.org/a/wpa.htm
--

Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP

Post by Alex Nicho » Sun, 04 May 2003 06:37:48

>In the next week I'll be doing a major upgrade to my
>primary home computer...motherboard, CPU, HDD, etc.

>This computer currently has XP Pro installed & I want to
>remove it & re-install on the new computer. (The old one
>will be reformatted & have XP Home installed)

>What do I need to do with Microsoft to make this happen
>smoothly?

Provided it was a retail copy, not an OEM one that is licensed solely to
the first machine it is installed on, then all you need do is activate
the system in its new home.  If over 120 days since you did so before,
it will even do it on the net just as then.  Only if it is less will you
have to phone a toll free number that will be give, to explain and swap
one long number for another to type in

--
Alex Nichol MS MVP (Windows - File Systems)

1. de-activation/ re-activation

I am about to buy a new computer, I intend selling the
old one and re-installing xp back on that one from the
restore disks which came with it.

I also intend to put my copy of xp which i purchased
seperately, and is isntalled on mt current computer (not
the restore disks that came with the old computer) on the
new computer, the new computer is significantly different
and xp is sure to believe its installed on a new
computer, or beleive its installed on a second computer
(which will not be the case).

Is there a way to de-activate and disable it on the old
computer, to allow me to have a trouble free intalation
on the new one ??

Thanks

Andy

2. 817287 failed to install and update not working anymore

3. activation or rather re-activation

4. Blue screen error

5. XP Pro Re-Activation

6. Email/Modem on W95 network

7. Re-Activation?

8. Client32 -Mind of its own..

9. WinXP re-activation (HELP!)

10. Re-Activation

11. Re-Activation, OEM Vs full home version

12. Re-Activation

13. Selling xp and re-activation?