Remote Desktop Web Connection

Post by larr » Fri, 14 Feb 2003 23:39:08

Trying to connect to my XP machine works from some
computers within my group, but some get the error:
Line:67
Char: 7
Error: Object doesn't support this property or
method: 'MsTsc.Server'
Code: 0

Anyone know what the problem is?

Remote Desktop Web Connection

Post by Sooner A » Sat, 15 Feb 2003 03:54:42

This page should get you going...

http://dev.remotenetworktechnology.com/ts/fixmsrdp.htm

--
Sooner Al

Please post *ALL* replies to the news group for the mutual benefit of all of us...

> Trying to connect to my XP machine works from some
> computers within my group, but some get the error:
> Line:67
> Char: 7
> Error: Object doesn't support this property or
> method: 'MsTsc.Server'
> Code: 0

> Anyone know what the problem is?

---

Remote Desktop Web Connection

Post by Harr » Tue, 18 Feb 2003 07:25:05

I can get the remote desktop web connection to work
inside my LAN but not outside.  Whenever I try to access
using "http://mycomputer/tsweb", I get the "page cannot
be displayed" message.

I have forwarded the ports 80 and 3389 on my Netgear RP
114 router.  I have not specified a default DMZ server.

Inside the LAN, all works fine.  Any hints?
Thanx,
Harry.....

Remote Desktop Web Connection

Post by Bill Sanderso » Tue, 18 Feb 2003 12:50:51

What IP address are you specifying?  Are you sure it is correct?
Any chance the ISP is blocking port 80?
(And, once you DO get the page, remember NOT to put anything in the address
box when connecting across the Internet--just the opposite of what you do
when connecting locally.)

Quote:> I can get the remote desktop web connection to work
> inside my LAN but not outside.  Whenever I try to access
> using "http://mycomputer/tsweb", I get the "page cannot
> be displayed" message.

> I have forwarded the ports 80 and 3389 on my Netgear RP
> 114 router.  I have not specified a default DMZ server.

> Inside the LAN, all works fine.  Any hints?
> Thanx,
> Harry.....

Remote Desktop Web Connection

Post by David Wilso » Tue, 18 Feb 2003 17:44:34

Try forwarding port 500 on your RD server, used by
Internet Key Exchange service. On your PC, search for IKE
under help for more info. The XP firewall leaves 500 open
by default.

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>What IP address are you specifying?  Are you sure it is
correct?
>Any chance the ISP is blocking port 80?
>(And, once you DO get the page, remember NOT to put

anything in the address
Quote:>box when connecting across the Internet--just the

opposite of what you do
>when connecting locally.)

>> I can get the remote desktop web connection to work
>> inside my LAN but not outside.  Whenever I try to
access
>> using "http://mycomputer/tsweb", I get the "page cannot
>> be displayed" message.

>> I have forwarded the ports 80 and 3389 on my Netgear RP
>> 114 router.  I have not specified a default DMZ server.

>> Inside the LAN, all works fine.  Any hints?
>> Thanx,
>> Harry.....

>.

Remote Desktop Web Connection

Post by N » Tue, 18 Feb 2003 23:31:33

I have an XP machine at work and an XP machine at home.
The machine at work is on a network run via a Zyxel
router (Prestige 642)The home machine is on a direct ADSL
modem.

How do I get both machines to provide remote access to
each other?

Remote Desktop Web Connection

Post by Bill Sanderso » Wed, 19 Feb 2003 03:53:36

David, this might make sense if he were using an IPSEC VPN, but I don't
believe that's involved in this thread.

> Try forwarding port 500 on your RD server, used by
> Internet Key Exchange service. On your PC, search for IKE
> under help for more info. The XP firewall leaves 500 open
> by default.

Post by Bill Sanderso » Wed, 19 Feb 2003 03:57:20

Firstly, do not use the Web Connection--that isn't necessary for your usage,
and will complicate things and involve security issues you might not wish to
deal with.

Secondly, all the machines involved must be XP Pro, rather than XP Home
edition.

In the Zyxel router at work, you will need to find instructions to open port
3389, TCP and forward traffic to the XP Pro machine in question.

At home, you'll need to go to properties of the Internet Connection,
advanced tab, settings button, and enable Remote Desktop protocol to pass
through the Internet Connection Firewall.

You will need to know the current public IP address of both the home machine
and the Zyxel router.

Quote:> I have an XP machine at work and an XP machine at home.
> The machine at work is on a network run via a Zyxel
> router (Prestige 642)The home machine is on a direct ADSL
> modem.

> How do I get both machines to provide remote access to
> each other?

Remote Desktop Web Connection

Post by David Wilso » Wed, 19 Feb 2003 08:44:54

It's probably best to use a VPN anyway for security
reasons with web RD as opposed to the RD client
application. In that case, the port to open is 1723 (I
succeeded without opening port 500 with XP pro). You
don't need any other ports open on the router since the
other ports will be open through the tunnel once created.
If you are running a pre-win 2000 machine for the client,
you need to download an updated vpn client to support
L2TP/IPSec at:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?
FamilyID=6a1086dc-3bd0-4d65-9b82-
20cbe650f974&DisplayLang=en

Post by Harr » Wed, 19 Feb 2003 11:12:56

Bill,

When I connect thru a router, I am not clear how to
determine the correct IP address.  Right now I am using my
computer name "vaspac-admin".  The only other address I
can see is my router address which I don't think is not
unique.

I don't think my ISP is blocking port 80.  I am using
Sympatico for my ISP which is part of Bell Canada.

Thanks for your assistance,
Harry...

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>What IP address are you specifying?  Are you sure it is
correct?
>Any chance the ISP is blocking port 80?
>(And, once you DO get the page, remember NOT to put

anything in the address
Quote:>box when connecting across the Internet--just the

opposite of what you do
>when connecting locally.)

>> I can get the remote desktop web connection to work
>> inside my LAN but not outside.  Whenever I try to access
>> using "http://mycomputer/tsweb", I get the "page cannot
>> be displayed" message.

>> I have forwarded the ports 80 and 3389 on my Netgear RP
>> 114 router.  I have not specified a default DMZ server.

>> Inside the LAN, all works fine.  Any hints?
>> Thanx,
>> Harry.....

>.

Remote Desktop Web Connection

Post by Bill Sanderso » Wed, 19 Feb 2003 14:05:42

Most folks who are using Web Connection are doing this because they put a
high value on the flexibility of being able to connect from most
web-browsers.  Having to use a VPN first is a limitation most such users
won't accept easily.

The RD connection is encrypted with RC4 encryption and a 128 bit key
strength--the same as a PPTP VPN connection.

> It's probably best to use a VPN anyway for security
> reasons with web RD as opposed to the RD client
> application. In that case, the port to open is 1723 (I
> succeeded without opening port 500 with XP pro). You
> don't need any other ports open on the router since the
> other ports will be open through the tunnel once created.
> If you are running a pre-win 2000 machine for the client,
> you need to download an updated vpn client to support
> L2TP/IPSec at:
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?
> FamilyID=6a1086dc-3bd0-4d65-9b82-
> 20cbe650f974&DisplayLang=en

Post by Bill Sanderso » Wed, 19 Feb 2003 14:06:51

You need the public address acquired by the router when it connects.

One way to see this is a site such as
http://www.myipaddress.com

> Bill,

> When I connect thru a router, I am not clear how to
> determine the correct IP address.  Right now I am using my
> computer name "vaspac-admin".  The only other address I
> can see is my router address which I don't think is not
> unique.

> I don't think my ISP is blocking port 80.  I am using
> Sympatico for my ISP which is part of Bell Canada.

> Thanks for your assistance,
> Harry...

Post by Harr » Thu, 20 Feb 2003 10:51:49

Thanks Bill.

I new it was going to be something obvious but it is hard
to find a good roadmap thru the Internet weeds.  I had the
same kind of fun publishing my first website.

Thanks again,
Harry...

Post by Bill Sanderso » Fri, 21 Feb 2003 04:25:55

Something like this is router-specific these days.  Many routers have an
html interface, and perhaps a "status" page with such information in it.

The coming solution is Universal Plug n Play, which allows the OS or
software to query the router for this information in a standards-based way.

Until all routers are UPnP compliant, we'll have this issue.  And, even now,
RD doesn't do this query for you--nor does it open the port automatically.

Remote Assistance does attempt to do this for you.

> Thanks Bill.

> I new it was going to be something obvious but it is hard
> to find a good roadmap thru the Internet weeds.  I had the
> same kind of fun publishing my first website.

> Thanks again,
> Harry...

Post by MV » Sun, 23 Feb 2003 10:25:55

The router method is better if you can use it, especially if you use a
dynamic dns service as the constant pings can bring the server to its
knees...

Jeffrey Randow - Windows MVP (Networking & Smart Displays)
.NET Server Community -
http://www.microsoft.com/windows.netserver/community
Smart Display Website -
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/smartdisplays

For Remote Desktop/VPN/Remote Network FAQs & Support Links, Visit the
Remote Network Technology Wiki -
http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
For Smart Display (Hardware & Software) FAQs & Support - Visit the
Smart Display Support Site - http://www.smartdisplays.us

of all USENET users.  Messages sent via email may or may not

On Wed, 19 Feb 2003 14:25:55 -0500, "Bill Sanderson"