Windows & IE Performance Slow

Post by Pat Ciriack » Sat, 17 May 2003 12:16:36

Last week my explorer performance slowed dramatically.
It takes several minutes for "My Computer" to come up and
the same for a partially specified IE URL.  I defragged
and did a virus scan with no improvement.  Any ideas?

Windows & IE Performance Slow

Post by Jupiter Jones [MVP » Sat, 17 May 2003 12:21:10

Pat;
Does this apply:
Some computers have issues with 811493 causing a slowdown, others do
not.
The issue seems to be a conflict with Windows Update 811493 and
antivirus applications.
Similar issues reported with McAfee, Norton, EZ Trust and possibly
others.
Uninstall 811493 from Control Panel Add/Remove Programs.
If a warning comes up about other applications, ignore it.
Uninstalling through Add/Remove Programs is far better than System
Restore to remove an application or fix.
Microsoft has stated they are working on the cause, so hopefully we
will get some definitive solution real soon.
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=819634

Otherwise:
Run an updated virus scan.
Run Disk Cleanup checking all boxes except "Compress old files"
Run Defrag.
If you have file sharing software such as Kazaa, disable it.
Check this link:
http://www.aumha.org/a/noads.php
Run Ad-Aware (free version) or Spybot to check for spyware:
http://www.lavasoft.de/  (Update if you already have it)
Or
http://spybot.eon.net.au/  (Update if you already have it)

--
Jupiter Jones  [MVP]
An easier way to read newsgroup messages:

Quote:> Last week my explorer performance slowed dramatically.
> It takes several minutes for "My Computer" to come up and
> the same for a partially specified IE URL.  I defragged
> and did a virus scan with no improvement.  Any ideas?

1. Windows XP slow network performance (if you call it performance)

Add me to the Windows XP networking sucks list!

From the amount of NG messages in regard to XP networking, it is
obvious that there are MAJOR problems, regardless of what the MS-MVPs
keep saying. FACT: After spending $500+ Australian dollars on XP
professional (why professional? Because Home does not support 2
processors and I have an ABit BP6 M/B with 2xCeleron 500 with 640MB
RAM) I am unhappy that it does not network. I have had better luck
with Windows for Workgroups v3.11 than this! I am using an Intel
10/100 PCI NIC which was found and drivers installed by XP. Why
doesn't it work? (If you call downloading at 5k per second from a 200K
cable internet connection working, then you better go back to your
local government job!).
FACT: Benchmarked P300 with Realtek 10/100 NIC connected via Netgear
RT314 gateway and downloaded file at 200-300K (using Win98SE) -
Windows XP PEAKED at 14k - Why? It was the same file from the same
website? Not Cached! Is it the physical hardware? NO, CAT 5 cable used
and tested with Win98SE PC. No performance problem.

FACT: Tried swapping NIC's. Put in SMC 10/100 NIC. Windows XP
plug-n-played and STILL same problem. - Why?

Can MS offer solution? NO, When will it get fixed? Umm.. wait for
service pack!
When is service pack being released? Umm... not sure.

Has anyone actually fixed, repaired a networking problem similar to
the above to THE SAME PERFORMANCE LEVEL as WIN98SE or better?

Please feel free to mail me if you can offer an insight to these
problems. I'm open to all suggestions.

2. 64-bit Windows XP

3. SLow slow slow performance

4. HYPERCARD FOR DOS? (D

5. Very slow performance of IE 5.1.6 on MAC OS 9.2.2

6. Unable to specify users when adjusting file sharing permissions.

7. Slow Performance of IE 5.2.2 in Mac OS X 10.2.2

8. Newsroups within Outlook Express

9. Slow Win XP performance, especially IE

10. Slow performance/hang opening Office document on Windows 2000 server from Windows XP Pro Client

11. XP Performance - super slow menus in IE

12. IE Bug Fixes: History, Cache, Content Advisor, slow performance, etc.

13. ie 4 & ie 5 & ie 6 living together in windaz xp