Search - new issue (NOT related to "missing" results) _________

Post by Mark Levitsk » Sat, 11 May 2002 00:29:57

SEARCH FILES tool issue - not related to much discussed failure to detect
all filetypes by "word/phrase" which we all now solved (received official MS
promise to incorporate it future XPServicePack release), this is new:

On the list of searched results, opening one or several files sequentially -
direct from Search window (not by going to location in WinExplorer) causes
Search to restart.  I never enabled any option to restart search when
potential changes to filetree occured and Indexing service is off, I wish to
start MANUALLY WHEN I WANT and this was the case in Windows9.x/ME (Indexing
also off).  Any solution to prevent automatic restart?

This feature annoys me.  Example: open a couple of  *.log items, Search
restarts causing ridiculous slow down in computer response and juggling on
search list, and I need to click Stop every 10 seconds when opening 20+
files???

P.S. Please do not confuse with missing filetypes issue mentioned above,
Registry hack and WinXP ServicePack later this year solved it.

Search - new issue (NOT related to "missing" results) _________

Post by David Cand » Sat, 11 May 2002 01:09:52

ME/98 did refresh automatically as well.

Is it the fact that you are creating shortcuts in the recent documents folder for the files you are opening? That's what I put it down to.

David Candy
www.mvps.org/serenitymacros
http://www.winsite.com/bin/Info?500000002364 or http://www.simtel.com/pub/pd/18669.html

Please don't Reply To All - It gets confusing.

> SEARCH FILES tool issue - not related to much discussed failure to detect
> all filetypes by "word/phrase" which we all now solved (received official MS
> promise to incorporate it future XPServicePack release), this is new:

> On the list of searched results, opening one or several files sequentially -
> direct from Search window (not by going to location in WinExplorer) causes
> Search to restart.  I never enabled any option to restart search when
> potential changes to filetree occured and Indexing service is off, I wish to
> start MANUALLY WHEN I WANT and this was the case in Windows9.x/ME (Indexing
> also off).  Any solution to prevent automatic restart?

> This feature annoys me.  Example: open a couple of  *.log items, Search
> restarts causing ridiculous slow down in computer response and juggling on
> search list, and I need to click Stop every 10 seconds when opening 20+
> files???

> P.S. Please do not confuse with missing filetypes issue mentioned above,
> Registry hack and WinXP ServicePack later this year solved it.

Search - new issue (NOT related to "missing" results) _________

Post by Mark Levitsk » Sat, 11 May 2002 02:09:09

Yes "Recent" folder shortcuts are created by OS...
 But I dodn't remember Win98/ME insanely restarting Search each time user
clicks a file in resutls pane.  Or at least it wasn't annoyingly frequent on
each click.

Search - new issue (NOT related to "missing" results) _________

Post by David Cand » Sat, 11 May 2002 02:28:05

Well 98 didn't make the system feel sluggish while it was searching, and it was very quick so it finished quick.

David Candy
www.mvps.org/serenitymacros
http://www.winsite.com/bin/Info?500000002364 or http://www.simtel.com/pub/pd/18669.html

Please don't Reply To All - It gets confusing.

> Yes "Recent" folder shortcuts are created by OS...
>  But I dodn't remember Win98/ME insanely restarting Search each time user
> clicks a file in resutls pane.  Or at least it wasn't annoyingly frequent on
> each click.

1. Search - new issue (NOT related to "missing" results)

[...]

2. missing attachments for OE 6.00.2800.1106 (xpsp1)

3. How can I stop computer from reading Drive A each time I open Word 2000?

4. "Tip of the Day" and "Related" ToolBar button not working

5. Import messages from Out Look Express 5.5?

6. Missing "User Accounts" And "Search Companion" Options

7. Serious SP1 problem!

8. Missing "User Accounts" and "Search Companion"

9. "Search" results not diplaying on main window

10. When saving a search result, the "type of file" is not saved.

11. ADDRESS BOOK: "Shared Contacts"missing; CAN'T create "New Folder"

12. "My Documents" - using "search" and "Send to"