Re-Loaded Windows XP - Why can't I map to the pre-loaded software?

Re-Loaded Windows XP - Why can't I map to the pre-loaded software?

Post by Curti » Fri, 07 Feb 2003 00:07:56

Brief History: I loaded Windows XP on my machine. During a
software update with the MS website, we took a power
outage and lost the transmission. After that, we could not
re-boot the machine. I booted with WIn 98, loaded Win 98,
and then upgraded to Windows XP. Now the WIndows XP is
working but it does not recognize the software that was on
the machine prior. I still see the software out there.

Question: How do I get Windows XP to recognize the
existing software I loaded the first time with XP (ie. MS
Outlookm MS Word, Palm Desktop, etc.) without having to re-
load the software and risk losing the data - not to
mention the hard drive space I am eating up with 2 OS's.

Thanks!

Curtis

Re-Loaded Windows XP - Why can't I map to the pre-loaded software?

Post by B » Fri, 07 Feb 2003 05:45:31

A boot from the Windows XP cd and then selecting a repair action would have
been the advice to take. If in the Windows XP install you can still see the
software programs but they do not work when trying to run them then more
than likely they are not recorded in the registry so you will have to reload
the software programs. Since you are essentially reloading them hopefully
you will not have any data lost.

regards

Quote:> Brief History: I loaded Windows XP on my machine. During a
> software update with the MS website, we took a power
> outage and lost the transmission. After that, we could not
> re-boot the machine. I booted with WIn 98, loaded Win 98,
> and then upgraded to Windows XP. Now the WIndows XP is
> working but it does not recognize the software that was on
> the machine prior. I still see the software out there.

> Question: How do I get Windows XP to recognize the
> existing software I loaded the first time with XP (ie. MS
> Outlookm MS Word, Palm Desktop, etc.) without having to re-
> load the software and risk losing the data - not to
> mention the hard drive space I am eating up with 2 OS's.

> Thanks!

> Curtis

Re-Loaded Windows XP - Why can't I map to the pre-loaded software?

Post by Bruce Chamber » Fri, 07 Feb 2003 06:16:18

Greetings --

    Since you, in effect, removed WinXP, installed Win98, and then
reinstalled WinXP, you'll also need to reinstall all of your
applications so the WinXP will "know" that they are there and how to
access them.

Bruce Chambers
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
----
You can have peace.  Or you can have freedom.  Don't ever count on
having both at once. -- RAH

Quote:> Brief History: I loaded Windows XP on my machine. During a
> software update with the MS website, we took a power
> outage and lost the transmission. After that, we could not
> re-boot the machine. I booted with WIn 98, loaded Win 98,
> and then upgraded to Windows XP. Now the WIndows XP is
> working but it does not recognize the software that was on
> the machine prior. I still see the software out there.

> Question: How do I get Windows XP to recognize the
> existing software I loaded the first time with XP (ie. MS
> Outlookm MS Word, Palm Desktop, etc.) without having to re-
> load the software and risk losing the data - not to
> mention the hard drive space I am eating up with 2 OS's.

> Thanks!

> Curtis

Re-Loaded Windows XP - Why can't I map to the pre-loaded software?

Post by A Frale » Fri, 07 Feb 2003 10:31:03

So......why did you reload Win 98.  You do not need to since you apparently
have a qualifying CD of a previous OS.  If you don't need 98, do a "clean
install" of XP.  The upgrade version is a full version of XP, and your
system will have fewer problems.  You will have to reload your other
programs though.

Quote:> Brief History: I loaded Windows XP on my machine. During a
> software update with the MS website, we took a power
> outage and lost the transmission. After that, we could not
> re-boot the machine. I booted with WIn 98, loaded Win 98,
> and then upgraded to Windows XP. Now the WIndows XP is
> working but it does not recognize the software that was on
> the machine prior. I still see the software out there.

> Question: How do I get Windows XP to recognize the
> existing software I loaded the first time with XP (ie. MS
> Outlookm MS Word, Palm Desktop, etc.) without having to re-
> load the software and risk losing the data - not to
> mention the hard drive space I am eating up with 2 OS's.

> Thanks!

> Curtis

Re-Loaded Windows XP - Why can't I map to the pre-loaded software?

Post by Tony Marsto » Fri, 07 Feb 2003 16:56:17

If you loaded XP into a different partition rather than over the top of your
existing Win98 partition then you will have to install all your software
while inside XP. This is because each OS has its own system registry which
contains vital information about installed software. If you have not yet
installed your applications in XP then it doesn't know that they exist.

If you had upgraded over the top of your existing Win98 partition then it
would have merged the Win98 registry into its own, thus giving you access to
your applications without having to re-install tem. You would not, however,
be able to boot into Win98 separately from XP.

Hope this helps.

Tony Marston

> > Brief History: I loaded Windows XP on my machine. During a
> > software update with the MS website, we took a power
> > outage and lost the transmission. After that, we could not
> > re-boot the machine. I booted with WIn 98, loaded Win 98,
> > and then upgraded to Windows XP. Now the WIndows XP is
> > working but it does not recognize the software that was on
> > the machine prior. I still see the software out there.

> > Question: How do I get Windows XP to recognize the
> > existing software I loaded the first time with XP (ie. MS
> > Outlookm MS Word, Palm Desktop, etc.) without having to re-
> > load the software and risk losing the data - not to
> > mention the hard drive space I am eating up with 2 OS's.

> > Thanks!

> > Curtis

1. Re-Loaded XP but cannot Map to Existing Software

Brief History: I loaded Windows XP on my machine. During a
software update with the MS website, we took a power
outage and lost the transmission. After that, we could not
re-boot the machine. I booted with WIn 98, loaded Win 98,
and then upgraded to Windows XP. Now the WIndows XP is
working but it does not recognize the software that was on
the machine prior. I still see the software out there.

Question: How do I get Windows XP to recognize the
existing software I loaded the first time with XP (ie. MS
Outlookm MS Word, Palm Desktop, etc.) without having to re-
load the software and risk losing the data - not to
mention the hard drive space I am eating up with 2 OS's.

Thanks!

Curtis

2. Internet Browsing Permissions!

3. Reinstall from pre-loaded software

4. Is there a way to set up the XP to automatically power-on?

5. Partition on XP pre-loaded

6. Win CE .NET apps

7. Installing Office 2000 onto a pre-loaded XP laptop...

8. PC performance is disappointing

9. Pre-loaded Works for Windows

10. Re-loaded XP

11. How to pre-load the software keyboard to the bottom-right corner (Taskbar) ?

12. Windows XP Home(OEM Pre Loaded) Clean-Up

13. Re-Loaded OS