Windows XP Upgrade

Post by Kath » Wed, 15 Jan 2003 09:30:43

I finally "bit the bullet" and installed XP.  I thought I
was ready, having prepared an upgrade report and
addressed as many issues as possible.

I now find that my "accessories" have disappeared --
calculator, word pad (not note pad, mind you)and paint.
The executable files have disappeared.

Any suggestions as to where I can get these invaluable
tools?

Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you,
Kathy

Windows XP Upgrade

Post by Howard J. Roger » Wed, 15 Jan 2003 12:52:00

God knows. But you didn't "install" XP, did you? You upgraded some earlier
version of Windows.

Don't.

I've had nothing but grief from upgrade installations.

Save your valuable data somewhere untouchable, and then do a clean install
of XP. Yes, you have to reinstall all your software, but it's the difference
between the 'dodgy, and it might work' and the 'perfectly sound, and does
work'.

Regards
HJR

Quote:> I finally "bit the bullet" and installed XP.  I thought I
> was ready, having prepared an upgrade report and
> addressed as many issues as possible.

> I now find that my "accessories" have disappeared --
> calculator, word pad (not note pad, mind you)and paint.
> The executable files have disappeared.

> Any suggestions as to where I can get these invaluable
> tools?

> Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you,
> Kathy

1. upgrading to Windows XP: upgrade vs clean install: how to preserve user files

For upgrading to XP, I would like to preserve all user files (those in \my
documents) and personal settings if possible, and I don't want to keep any
program files and anything under windows directory.  What should I use:
upgrade or clean install?

I understand upgrade will keep all user files and personal setting, but will
it wipe out everything in 'windows' and 'program files' and system files
under c:\ cleanly?  I understand clean install can wipe out everything in
'windows' and 'program files' and system files under c:\ cleanly, but can it
preserve user files and personal settings?

Thanks.

2. Query Regarding LSP on XP

3. Having Problems Installing Windows XP Upgrade on Windows ME

4. Icons near clock

5. Windows XP Upgrade from Windows ME?

6. CHANGE MY HOMEPAGE, HELP

7. windows xp upgrade from windows 98

8. Rebooting when i start IE

9. Windows XP upgrade from Windows 98

10. Windows XP upgrade with OEM version of Windows 98

11. Can I Install XP on Reformatted C: Drive using Windows XP Upgrade Edition?

12. downloaded office xp, meant to download windows xp upgrade

13. Problem with Office XP after Windows XP upgrade