Help:Expanded memory doesn't load for a dos application.

Help:Expanded memory doesn't load for a dos application.

Post by Charles C » Wed, 09 Apr 2003 17:05:43

Hello
Windows XP cannot load into expanded memory because it is not installed.  If
I go to properties for the dos program and set Expanded Memory  to Automatic
or higher, it still does not work.  How do I install EMM386 or how can I
resolve this problem?

Thanks
Charles

Post by Alex Nicho » Thu, 10 Apr 2003 13:37:42

>Windows XP cannot load into expanded memory because it is not installed.  If
>I go to properties for the dos program and set Expanded Memory  to Automatic
>or higher, it still does not work.  How do I install EMM386 or how can I
>resolve this problem?

You need to have the related line in the windows\system32\config.nt file
- where it has a lot of REM comments about it, insert a line

EMM = B=4000 RAM

(note spaces either side the first =, none next the second one)

And if you run the program from a shortcut, take its properties and I
would set an explicit amount (say 10240 for 10MB) rather than Auto

--
Alex Nichol MS MVP (Windows - File Systems)

Help:Expanded memory doesn't load for a dos application.

Post by Charles C » Thu, 10 Apr 2003 15:43:25

Hello Alex,
Thank you for your response.  I tried adding the line you suggested with
proper spacing, but it didn't work.  The application is Accpac Plus for Dos
and one of the finder keys loads records into expanded memory for quicker
searching.  It works with Win98 and Win2000 but it does not work with
Windows XP.  I hope there is a way.

Thanks.