Dependency Walker

Post by Webber We » Sat, 23 Mar 2002 10:30:24

Dear all,
    Follow the recommedation from Microsoft and I tried to use the 3rd party
tool named "Dependency Walker" to check the driver file "S3display.dll" of
my built VGA component under XPE system.
    It shows me "At least one module has an unresolved import due to a
missing export function in a delay-load dependent module", and there's a red
high light module "mpr.dll".
    How could I resolve such a problem? The problem of the "cut-off screen"
has happened for more than 2 weeks, but there's no further improvement so
far. Please give me a suggestion, and thanks for all of your help!
B/R
Webber

Dependency Walker

Post by M » Sun, 24 Mar 2002 09:03:57

Quote:> Dear all,
>     Follow the recommedation from Microsoft and I tried to use the 3rd
>     party
> tool named "Dependency Walker" to check the driver file
> "S3display.dll" of my built VGA component under XPE system.
>     It shows me "At least one module has an unresolved import due to a
> missing export function in a delay-load dependent module", and there's
> a red high light module "mpr.dll".

The file might be there, but the rest of the support information may not
be.  Check to make sure your configuration includes the "Primitive: Mpr"
component.

--
--Jon, MS

Dependency Walker

Post by Webber We » Tue, 26 Mar 2002 09:57:19

> > Dear all,
> >     Follow the recommedation from Microsoft and I tried to use the 3rd
> >     party
> > tool named "Dependency Walker" to check the driver file
> > "S3display.dll" of my built VGA component under XPE system.
> >     It shows me "At least one module has an unresolved import due to a
> > missing export function in a delay-load dependent module", and there's
> > a red high light module "mpr.dll".

> The file might be there, but the rest of the support information may not
> be.  Check to make sure your configuration includes the "Primitive: Mpr"
> component.

> --
> --Jon, MS

rights.

Dear Jon,
    Thx for your reply! And I'm sure that there's a component "Primitive:
Mpr" in my configuration. So that I felt confused why it can't show the
correct image of the display bitmap and the correct function of the display
utility. Please give me a hand.
B/R
Webber

Dependency Walker

Post by Steve Mill » Wed, 27 Mar 2002 04:07:15

>     Follow the recommedation from Microsoft and I tried to use the 3rd party
> tool named "Dependency Walker" to check the driver file "S3display.dll" of
> my built VGA component under XPE system.
>     It shows me "At least one module has an unresolved import due to a
> missing export function in a delay-load dependent module", and there's a red
> high light module "mpr.dll".

There is a section in the Dependency Walker FAQ that talks about this
particular case.  You can find it at the bottom of...

http://www.dependencywalker.com/faq.html

It reads...

Q: Why am I seeing a lot of applications where MPR.DLL shows up in red
under SHLWAPI.DLL because it is missing a function named
WNetRestoreConnectionA?

A: Some versions of SHLWAPI.DLL (like the one on Windows XP) have a
delay-load dependency on the function WNetRestoreConnectionA in
MPR.DLL. Missing delay-load functions are not a problem as long as the
calling DLL is prepared to handle the situation.  Dependency Walker
flags all potential problems as it cannot detect if an application
intends to handle the issue. In the case of SHLWAPI.DLL, this is not
an problem as it does not require WNetRestoreConnectionA to exist and
handles the missing function at runtime. This warning can be ignored.
See the "How to Interpret Warnings and Errors in Dependency Walker"
section in help for more details.

Dependency Walker

Post by Webber We » Wed, 27 Mar 2002 11:27:33

> >     Follow the recommedation from Microsoft and I tried to use the 3rd
party
> > tool named "Dependency Walker" to check the driver file "S3display.dll"
of
> > my built VGA component under XPE system.
> >     It shows me "At least one module has an unresolved import due to a
> > missing export function in a delay-load dependent module", and there's a
red
> > high light module "mpr.dll".
> It reads...
> Q: Why am I seeing a lot of applications where MPR.DLL shows up in red
> under SHLWAPI.DLL because it is missing a function named
> WNetRestoreConnectionA?

> A: Some versions of SHLWAPI.DLL (like the one on Windows XP) have a
> delay-load dependency on the function WNetRestoreConnectionA in
> MPR.DLL. Missing delay-load functions are not a problem as long as the
> calling DLL is prepared to handle the situation.  Dependency Walker
> flags all potential problems as it cannot detect if an application
> intends to handle the issue. In the case of SHLWAPI.DLL, this is not
> an problem as it does not require WNetRestoreConnectionA to exist and
> handles the missing function at runtime. This warning can be ignored.
> See the "How to Interpret Warnings and Errors in Dependency Walker"
> section in help for more details.

Dear Sir,
    Thanks for your reply.
    Do you mean that my case "S3display.dll" is as the same as the above
case?
    And then I could follow the section in help to resolve the cut-off
screen situation?
B/R
Webber