Windows XP network traffic

Post by Kelly Jand » Sun, 15 Sep 2002 04:35:03

I'm hoping that someone out there can clear something up
for me with regard to how much traffic a Windows XP Pro
machine sends and receives as compared to W2K Pro.  I have
a corporate network of about 300 people and we are
thinking of migrating to XP from W9x and W2K.  In a test
deployment, though, the first three XP Pro PCs (all w/ 256
MG memory, 17 GB drives, and Intel 10/100 network cards)
send and receive three times the network traffic that a
W2K Pro PC with identical hardware does!  My main network
is *really* simple, too, using only one network segment
for all clients and servers located on the "inside".  We
use DDNS and WINS (for now); no HOST or LMHOST files.  I
ran a sniffer and found a bunch of UDP-type packets on the
wire - nothing out of the ordinary - but I'm still
wondering WHY is XP so chatty?  Any help?

Windows XP network traffic

Post by ZeBel » Sun, 15 Sep 2002 05:11:24

it is more detailed

Quote:>-----Original Message-----