Ok I have a Sound Blaster Audigy X-gamer. It has a firewire built in which
as you may or may not know will let you do networking and attach devices
such as dv cams.
After I installed a fresh copy of XP Pro I could not get the IEEE1394 device
to start I got the message "This Device Cannot Start (Code 10)"
I asked Sound Blaster about it and this is what i was told to do and low and
behold the thing works now.
Response from Creative: 10/8/2002 2:32:08 PM
1. Click START / RUN / Type MSCONFIG and press ENTER.
2. Insert a check to the left of SELECTIVE STARTUP and deselect 'LOAD
3. Select the SERVICES tab and select HIDE ALL MICROSOFT SERVICES.
4. Uncheck all results and click OK.
5. Click OK and reboot when prompted.
6. Open SYSTEM PROPERTIES: CLASSIC START MENU - START / SETTINGS / CONTROL
PANEL / SYSTEM. WINDOWS XP START MENU - START / CONTROL PANEL / SYSTEM.
7. Select the HARDWARE tab.
8. Click DEVICE MANAGER.
9. Click the plus (+) to the left of IEEE 1394 BUS HOST CONTROLLERS and
double-click OHCI COMPLIANT 1394 HOST CONTROLLER.
10. Click the DRIVER tab.
11. Click UPDATE DRIVER.
12. Select SEARCH FOR THE BEST DRIVER FOR THIS DEVICE OR SPECIFY A
LOCATION(ADVANCED)and click NEXT.
13. Select SEARCH FOR DRIVER IN THIS LOCATION and select INCLUDE THIS
LOCATION IN THIS SEARCH.
14. Type C:\WINDOWS\INF into the available text field and click OK.
If any errors occur during this procedure, please reply to this message
with the specific error information (When did the error occur, what is the
error message (error code), etc.). Michael
Ok well Im sure Microsoft would not recommed this but hey it worked for me
and hope it will work for you too.
One more thing When I rebooted and everything was working i went back into
MSCONFIG and rechecked off all the things they told me to uncheck.
I wanted to see if any of them were the cause of my problem, But the system
ran and is running fine.
One more thing when I went to find the driver XP would not install it. It
said the device already had a better driver so I decided not to force it to
install the one from the C:\Windows \inf Directory. But every thing is
working. Good luck all