The "My pictures" folder and "my documents" folder

The "My pictures" folder and "my documents" folder

Post by Chris Booto » Mon, 08 Jul 2002 04:12:43

I upgraded this system from Windows 98 , to XP. In 98, I had the my
documents folder altered to c:\windows\desktop\downloads .

In XP it seems insitent in continuing to use this folder as the "my
documents" folder , despite any changed I make to the personal folder
setting under:

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-1409082233-1364589140-725345543-1003\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell
Folders

For the "my pictures" folder, it's using the standard, but I want to
change it (as well as the my docs) folder to c:\documents and
settings\myusername\desktop\downloads

(ie I'll have a downloads folder on my desktop for quick and easy
access)

Unfortunatly when I make changes to the entires under this folder, it
just changes it right back to the older entry.

How can I get the changes to 'stick'?

On another note, can I simply get XP to just use the standard dir's from
win98 for my desktop etc, as while multiple people use this computer, we
all just use the same 'login' and have no real need for a multi user
type directory structure.

The "My pictures" folder and "my documents" folder

Post by Synapse Syndrom » Mon, 08 Jul 2002 05:54:03

Just use TweakUI for XP to change these 'special folders'

SS.

| I upgraded this system from Windows 98 , to XP. In 98, I had the my
| documents folder altered to c:\windows\desktop\downloads .
|
| In XP it seems insitent in continuing to use this folder as the "my
| documents" folder , despite any changed I make to the personal folder
| setting under:
|
| HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-1409082233-1364589140-725345543-
| 1003\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders
|
| For the "my pictures" folder, it's using the standard, but I want to
| change it (as well as the my docs) folder to c:\documents and
| settings\myusername\desktop\downloads
|
| (ie I'll have a downloads folder on my desktop for quick and easy
| access)
|
| Unfortunatly when I make changes to the entires under this folder, it
| just changes it right back to the older entry.
|
| How can I get the changes to 'stick'?
|
| On another note, can I simply get XP to just use the standard dir's
| from win98 for my desktop etc, as while multiple people use this
| computer, we all just use the same 'login' and have no real need for
| a multi user type directory structure.

The "My pictures" folder and "my documents" folder

Post by Keith Mille » Mon, 08 Jul 2002 05:58:19

Right-click on the 'My Documents' SHORTCUT (either desktop or start menu) & select 'Properties'.
Use the 'Move' button to change the folder XP uses for 'My Documents'.  This will also make 'My
Pictures' & 'My Music' subfolders of the folder you select.

Keith

> I upgraded this system from Windows 98 , to XP. In 98, I had the my
> documents folder altered to c:\windows\desktop\downloads .

> In XP it seems insitent in continuing to use this folder as the "my
> documents" folder , despite any changed I make to the personal folder
> setting under:

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-1409082233-1364589140-725345543-1003\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\E
xplorer\Shell
Quote:> Folders

> For the "my pictures" folder, it's using the standard, but I want to
> change it (as well as the my docs) folder to c:\documents and
> settings\myusername\desktop\downloads

> (ie I'll have a downloads folder on my desktop for quick and easy
> access)

> Unfortunatly when I make changes to the entires under this folder, it
> just changes it right back to the older entry.

> How can I get the changes to 'stick'?

> On another note, can I simply get XP to just use the standard dir's from
> win98 for my desktop etc, as while multiple people use this computer, we
> all just use the same 'login' and have no real need for a multi user
> type directory structure.

1. The "Owner's Documents" folder under the "Default User" folder

Hi,

I have a question about the "Owner's Documents" folder under the "Default
Users" folder in "Documents and Settings".  Is this folder tied to the
"Owner's" folder in any way?  If the "Owner's" folder is deleted, can this
folder be deleted as well?  And why is this folder here under "Default
Users" anyway?  Shouldn't the owner's folder be an administrative folder and
placed in a folder other than Default User?  Thanks for all the help.  I
know...too many questions.

Sincerely,
Ryan Cabanas

2. USB camera connection

3. Windows XP "my picture" folder in "my document"

4. Digital CD ripping in win2k

5. "Shared Documents" folder name changed to "Documents", how to change back?

6. WinXP and Intel SpeedStep

7. WINDOWS NT and mpeg players

8. Shell folder "Shared Documents" spontaneously renamed itself simply "Documents"

9. Folders: "My ..." versus "<named> folders"

10. "Access denied" for "My Documents" folder

11. "My Documents" folder & "Add/Remove Programs" missing!

12. Deleting "Temp" files in "Documents and Settings" folder