upgrading

Post by ak » Sun, 04 Nov 2001 14:41:44

Hi,

Just wanted to know if the xpPro upgrade cd is bootable
and asks for the prior version cd, or is it not bootable
and you have to have a prior version to write over...

Thanks,

ak

upgrading

Post by Chri » Sun, 04 Nov 2001 14:49:16

Yes, its bootable, you just have to insert your previous OS's cd during
installation to prove ownership.  You can do a fresh install from there.

Quote:> Hi,

> Just wanted to know if the xpPro upgrade cd is bootable
> and asks for the prior version cd, or is it not bootable
> and you have to have a prior version to write over...

> Thanks,

> ak

upgrading

Post by Mark L. Ferguso » Sun, 04 Nov 2001 14:46:12

During setup of XP, when asked for 'qualifying media',

you browse to the old Windows CD, then, if setup can't find the install files later,

you browse back to the ..\i386 folder of the XP CD.

Win 95, Win 98, 98SE, Win Me

for a Qualifying Product for XP Home,

Win 95, Win 98, 98SE, Win Me, NT 3.51, NT4 , Win 2000, or XP Home

for a Qualifying Product for XP Pro.

This is not the 'upgrade' requirement, just QP for a 'clean' install.

--

Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP Expert Associate
marfer's notes for XP - http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/xp_notes.htm

.

> Hi,

> Just wanted to know if the xpPro upgrade cd is bootable
> and asks for the prior version cd, or is it not bootable
> and you have to have a prior version to write over...

> Thanks,

> ak

upgrading

Post by Andrew Kueh » Sun, 04 Nov 2001 14:57:21

Many thanks!

Quote:> Hi,

> Just wanted to know if the xpPro upgrade cd is bootable
> and asks for the prior version cd, or is it not bootable
> and you have to have a prior version to write over...

> Thanks,

> ak

1. Upgraded, Upgrade, Upgrade and Upgrade

Hello,

Over the past 6 years I have upgraded 3 times.

I built my Own hot rod PC back in 1995.  I had installed WFW 3.11 on the
box.
In  1996 I purchases and installed Windows 95.
In  1998 I purchased a new computer (400MHZ)
I Ghosted my old hard disk to the new computer's hard disk.
I then purchased the Windows 98 "Upgrade Disk" From Microsoft.
I installed the "upgrade disk."  It required the Win95 "eligebility check".
In 2000 I bought the Widnows 98 to SE upgrade from Microsoft.
This disk did not let me do a clean install.  I had to upgrade from the 98
desktop.

Now after all that. Here is my question.

I need to know if anyone has done this 1st hand .  I contacted  the big guns
at MS support.
They do not seem to know the answer.  The support people did point me to the
page that lists
the "upgrade eligibility schemes".  This page does not say anything about
using the Windows 98 "upgrade disk" for the XP upgrade "eligibility check".
Will it work?

So  I'm looking for someone with 1st hand knowledge.

Will the XP upgrade disk be able to use my Windows 98 upgrade disk for it's
eligibility check?
Or,  Will we have to purchase the FULL version of XP.
Or,  Will we have to find a Windows 98 "full version cd" for XP to do the
eligibility check?
Again we still have our Windows 98 "upgrade" disk and Windows 98SE "upgrade
disks".

If you know of a Microsoft service bulletin with the answer written down.
Could you please pass the Q number along

I can go with the full version of XP or upgrade.  But it would be nice if I
could save $199.00 for a new hard disk or DVD drive.

Thank you for your help.

2. Win98 upgrade

3. Upgrading from Win ME upgrade to Win XP Pro/Home upgrade

4. Changing Printer Document Settings without Administration Authority.

5. upgrade Win98 Upgrade to WinME Upgrade

6. stop 0x0000000A and stop 0x000000DE error

7. Upgrade question, Win95, and upgrade media player

8. COM / DCOM on Windows CE 3

9. Can I upgrade IE outlook express 5.5 to 6.0 without upgrading IE

10. IE 6.0 upgrade from IE 5.5 (Computer won't recognize upgrade)

11. IE6 upgrade doesn't upgrade numerous files

12. to upgrade or not to upgrade...?

13. cann't down load upgrades on upgrade site