Wireless 802.11b PC Card?

Post by Mark Newto » Mon, 01 Oct 2001 06:15:37

Does ANYONE make an 802.11b wireless PCMCIA card that works with Windows XP
RC-2?

Thanks,

Mark Newton

Wireless 802.11b PC Card?

Post by Nathan Merce » Mon, 01 Oct 2001 08:29:26

Cisco Aironet 340 and 350, there are others too.
Those are the 2 that I use

Nathan

Quote:> Does ANYONE make an 802.11b wireless PCMCIA card that works with Windows
XP
> RC-2?

> Thanks,

> Mark Newton

Wireless 802.11b PC Card?

Post by barb bowma » Mon, 01 Oct 2001 19:35:26

The Lucent Orinoco and Cisco cards have great in box XP support. There are
in box drivers for the 3Com Air Connect, Intel, and Symbol Spectrum 24
802.11b cards, but they are badly broken and there is no connectivity, even
with RTM 2600. If you are about to purchase a card, stick with Orinoco or
Cisco.

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist

Quote:> Does ANYONE make an 802.11b wireless PCMCIA card that works with Windows
XP
> RC-2?

> Thanks,

> Mark Newton

Wireless 802.11b PC Card?

Post by Mark Newto » Mon, 01 Oct 2001 22:52:08

I already have Netgear cards which worked on the desktop with RC-1. I have
installed RC-2 on my laptop and there is no hope. I will not work. I am
afraid to install RC-2 on the desktop with the Netgear card. If it does not
work I am toast.

If I knew for SURE that a particular card would work with RC-2 out of the
box, I would go buy it in a heartbeat. Looks like I will be searching for a
good price on the Cisco card this week.

Mark

> The Lucent Orinoco and Cisco cards have great in box XP support. There are
> in box drivers for the 3Com Air Connect, Intel, and Symbol Spectrum 24
> 802.11b cards, but they are badly broken and there is no connectivity,
even
> with RTM 2600. If you are about to purchase a card, stick with Orinoco or
> Cisco.

> --
> Barb Bowman
> Expert Zone Columnist
> http:/www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

> > Does ANYONE make an 802.11b wireless PCMCIA card that works with Windows
> XP
> > RC-2?

> > Thanks,

> > Mark Newton

Wireless 802.11b PC Card?

Post by barb bowma » Tue, 02 Oct 2001 00:52:54

There is no XP in-box support for all of these OEM Intersil Prism II based
cards like those from Netgear, Linksys, DLink, SMC, Sohoware, and a host of
others. Things to consider - if you upgraded from Windows 9x, you may have
to completely uninstall the drivers that were on the machine when you
upgraded and then reinstall the windows 2000 driver for the card. Most of
these ship with a utility that is sourced from Neesus Datacomm that just
plain doesn't work or worse, blue screens. Don't install it and if it is
installed, UNinstall it. If you have done all of this, to point the card at
the right access point, go to network connections and on the card properties
there is usually an advanced or settings button where you can specify the
SSID/station name, select the channel, or specify adhoc versus
infrastructure (and for many, WEP enable or disable, etc.)

I don't have a Netgear card, but I *DO* have cards from Linksys, DLink, and
Sohoware. They all worked with the w2k drivers (in some cases using newer
drivers from the vendor website) with no utility program installed on RC2
and they work in RTM 2600 as well.

I can tell you that I am personally able to use Lucent/Orinoco Silver cards
with built in XP drivers and that I have personally seen Cisco cards working
as well.
--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist
http:/www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

> I already have Netgear cards which worked on the desktop with RC-1. I have
> installed RC-2 on my laptop and there is no hope. I will not work. I am
> afraid to install RC-2 on the desktop with the Netgear card. If it does
not
> work I am toast.

> If I knew for SURE that a particular card would work with RC-2 out of the
> box, I would go buy it in a heartbeat. Looks like I will be searching for
> good price on the Cisco card this week.

> Mark

> > The Lucent Orinoco and Cisco cards have great in box XP support. There
are
> > in box drivers for the 3Com Air Connect, Intel, and Symbol Spectrum 24
> > 802.11b cards, but they are badly broken and there is no connectivity,
> even
> > with RTM 2600. If you are about to purchase a card, stick with Orinoco
or
> > Cisco.

> > --
> > Barb Bowman
> > Expert Zone Columnist
> > http:/www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

> > > Does ANYONE make an 802.11b wireless PCMCIA card that works with
Windows
> > XP
> > > RC-2?

> > > Thanks,

> > > Mark Newton

Wireless 802.11b PC Card?

Post by mcdevit » Tue, 02 Oct 2001 04:17:22

My linksys cards work great using the Win2K drivers on XP RC2.  I also have
3Com cards and that still do not work.  I have yet to hear when an upgrade
is coming for the 3Com cards.

There is no XP in-box support for all of these OEM Intersil Prism II based
cards like those from Netgear, Linksys, DLink, SMC, Sohoware, and a host of
others. Things to consider - if you upgraded from Windows 9x, you may have
to completely uninstall the drivers that were on the machine when you
upgraded and then reinstall the windows 2000 driver for the card. Most of
these ship with a utility that is sourced from Neesus Datacomm that just
plain doesn't work or worse, blue screens. Don't install it and if it is
installed, UNinstall it. If you have done all of this, to point the card at
the right access point, go to network connections and on the card properties
there is usually an advanced or settings button where you can specify the
SSID/station name, select the channel, or specify adhoc versus
infrastructure (and for many, WEP enable or disable, etc.)

I don't have a Netgear card, but I *DO* have cards from Linksys, DLink, and
Sohoware. They all worked with the w2k drivers (in some cases using newer
drivers from the vendor website) with no utility program installed on RC2
and they work in RTM 2600 as well.

I can tell you that I am personally able to use Lucent/Orinoco Silver cards
with built in XP drivers and that I have personally seen Cisco cards working
as well.
--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist
http:/www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

> I already have Netgear cards which worked on the desktop with RC-1. I have
> installed RC-2 on my laptop and there is no hope. I will not work. I am
> afraid to install RC-2 on the desktop with the Netgear card. If it does
not
> work I am toast.

> If I knew for SURE that a particular card would work with RC-2 out of the
> box, I would go buy it in a heartbeat. Looks like I will be searching for
> good price on the Cisco card this week.

> Mark

> > The Lucent Orinoco and Cisco cards have great in box XP support. There
are
> > in box drivers for the 3Com Air Connect, Intel, and Symbol Spectrum 24
> > 802.11b cards, but they are badly broken and there is no connectivity,
> even
> > with RTM 2600. If you are about to purchase a card, stick with Orinoco
or
> > Cisco.

> > --
> > Barb Bowman
> > Expert Zone Columnist
> > http:/www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

> > > Does ANYONE make an 802.11b wireless PCMCIA card that works with
Windows
> > XP
> > > RC-2?

> > > Thanks,

> > > Mark Newton

Wireless 802.11b PC Card?

Post by Mark Newto » Tue, 02 Oct 2001 07:24:06

Thanks for the assistance.. BTW What is RTM 2600?

> [...]

> > installed RC-2 on my laptop and there is no hope. I will not work. I am
> > afraid to install RC-2 on the desktop with the Netgear card. If it does
> not
> > work I am toast.

> > If I knew for SURE that a particular card would work with RC-2 out of
the
> > box, I would go buy it in a heartbeat. Looks like I will be searching
for
> > good price on the Cisco card this week.

> > Mark

> > > The Lucent Orinoco and Cisco cards have great in box XP support. There
> are
> > > in box drivers for the 3Com Air Connect, Intel, and Symbol Spectrum 24
> > > 802.11b cards, but they are badly broken and there is no connectivity,
> > even
> > > with RTM 2600. If you are about to purchase a card, stick with Orinoco

Wireless 802.11b PC Card?

Post by barb bowma » Tue, 02 Oct 2001 18:20:18

that means the officially released version of Windows XP - not a beta or RC
or eval.

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist
http:/www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

> Thanks for the assistance.. BTW What is RTM 2600?

> > There is no XP in-box support for all of these OEM Intersil Prism II
based
> > cards like those from Netgear, Linksys, DLink, SMC, Sohoware, and a host
> of
> > others. Things to consider - if you upgraded from Windows 9x, you may
have
> > to completely uninstall the drivers that were on the machine when you
> > upgraded and then reinstall the windows 2000 driver for the card. Most
of
> > these ship with a utility that is sourced from Neesus Datacomm that just
> > plain doesn't work or worse, blue screens. Don't install it and if it is
> > installed, UNinstall it. If you have done all of this, to point the card
> at
> > the right access point, go to network connections and on the card
> properties
> > there is usually an advanced or settings button where you can specify
the
> > SSID/station name, select the channel, or specify adhoc versus
> > infrastructure (and for many, WEP enable or disable, etc.)

> > I don't have a Netgear card, but I *DO* have cards from Linksys, DLink,
> and
> > Sohoware. They all worked with the w2k drivers (in some cases using
newer
> > drivers from the vendor website) with no utility program installed on
RC2
> > and they work in RTM 2600 as well.

> > I can tell you that I am personally able to use Lucent/Orinoco Silver
> cards
> > with built in XP drivers and that I have personally seen Cisco cards
> working
> > as well.
> > --
> > Barb Bowman
> > Expert Zone Columnist
> > http:/www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

> > > I already have Netgear cards which worked on the desktop with RC-1. I
> have
> > > installed RC-2 on my laptop and there is no hope. I will not work. I
am
> > > afraid to install RC-2 on the desktop with the Netgear card. If it
does
> > not
> > > work I am toast.

> > > If I knew for SURE that a particular card would work with RC-2 out of
> the
> > > box, I would go buy it in a heartbeat. Looks like I will be searching
> for
> > > good price on the Cisco card this week.

> > > Mark

There
> > are
> > > even
Orinoco
> > or

> > Windows

Wireless 802.11b PC Card?

Post by Mark Newto » Tue, 02 Oct 2001 20:43:48

Thanks. Now for the next dumb question, any way to get the RTM 2600 before
October 25th?

Mark

> that means the officially released version of Windows XP - not a beta or
RC
> or eval.

> --
> Barb Bowman
> Expert Zone Columnist
> http:/www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

> > Thanks for the assistance.. BTW What is RTM 2600?

> > > There is no XP in-box support for all of these OEM Intersil Prism II
> based
> > > cards like those from Netgear, Linksys, DLink, SMC, Sohoware, and a
host
> > of
> > > others. Things to consider - if you upgraded from Windows 9x, you may
> have
> > > to completely uninstall the drivers that were on the machine when you
> > > upgraded and then reinstall the windows 2000 driver for the card. Most
> of
> > > these ship with a utility that is sourced from Neesus Datacomm that
just
> > > plain doesn't work or worse, blue screens. Don't install it and if it
is
> > > installed, UNinstall it. If you have done all of this, to point the
card
> > at
> > > the right access point, go to network connections and on the card
> > properties
> > > there is usually an advanced or settings button where you can specify
> the
> > > SSID/station name, select the channel, or specify adhoc versus
> > > infrastructure (and for many, WEP enable or disable, etc.)

> > > I don't have a Netgear card, but I *DO* have cards from Linksys,
DLink,
> > and
> > > Sohoware. They all worked with the w2k drivers (in some cases using
> newer
> > > drivers from the vendor website) with no utility program installed on
> RC2
> > > and they work in RTM 2600 as well.

> > > I can tell you that I am personally able to use Lucent/Orinoco Silver
> > cards
> > > with built in XP drivers and that I have personally seen Cisco cards
> > working
> > > as well.
> > > --
> > > Barb Bowman
> > > Expert Zone Columnist
> > > http:/www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

> > have
> am
> does
> > > not

> > the
> > for

> There
> > > are
Spectrum
> 24
> connectivity,
> Orinoco
> > > or

> > > Windows

Wireless 802.11b PC Card?

Post by barb bowma » Wed, 03 Oct 2001 05:24:45

not unless you buy a new computer with it pre-installed, are a MSDN
subscriber, etc.

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist
http:/www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

> Thanks. Now for the next dumb question, any way to get the RTM 2600 before
> October 25th?

> Mark

> > that means the officially released version of Windows XP - not a beta or
> RC
> > or eval.

> > --
> > Barb Bowman
> > Expert Zone Columnist
> > http:/www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

> > > Thanks for the assistance.. BTW What is RTM 2600?

> > based
> host
> > > of
> > have
Most
> > of
> just
> is
> card
> > > at
> > > properties
> > the

> DLink,
> > > and
> > newer
> > RC2

Silver
> > > cards
> > > working

RC-1.
> > > have
> > am
> > does

> of
> > > the
> searching
> > > for

> > There
> Spectrum
> > 24
> > connectivity,
> > Orinoco

Wireless 802.11b PC Card?

Post by Mark Newto » Wed, 03 Oct 2001 06:10:10

I got the Netgear Card working!...I downloaded the current drivers from the
Linksys web site. I uncompressed the files to my local drive and then
updated the Driver on the already installed Netgear Wireless MA401 card. The
property sheet on the Linksys does not allow for all the settings so I
reinstalled the Netgear Utility and set all my parms. Presto! It worked.

There is only one oddity and that is the Netgear utility indicates I am
connected at 11Mbist/s but the prosperities on the network connection
indicate that I am connected at 2Mbits. Don't know which one is correct
right now but at least it's working!

Mark Newton

> Thanks for the assistance.. BTW What is RTM 2600?

> > There is no XP in-box support for all of these OEM Intersil Prism II
based
> > cards like those from Netgear, Linksys, DLink, SMC, Sohoware, and a host
> of
> > others. Things to consider - if you upgraded from Windows 9x, you may
have
> > to completely uninstall the drivers that were on the machine when you
> > upgraded and then reinstall the windows 2000 driver for the card. Most
of
> > these ship with a utility that is sourced from Neesus Datacomm that just
> > plain doesn't work or worse, blue screens. Don't install it and if it is
> > installed, UNinstall it. If you have done all of this, to point the card
> at
> > the right access point, go to network connections and on the card
> properties
> > there is usually an advanced or settings button where you can specify
the
> > SSID/station name, select the channel, or specify adhoc versus
> > infrastructure (and for many, WEP enable or disable, etc.)

> > I don't have a Netgear card, but I *DO* have cards from Linksys, DLink,
> and
> > Sohoware. They all worked with the w2k drivers (in some cases using
newer
> > drivers from the vendor website) with no utility program installed on
RC2
> > and they work in RTM 2600 as well.

> > I can tell you that I am personally able to use Lucent/Orinoco Silver
> cards
> > with built in XP drivers and that I have personally seen Cisco cards
> working
> > as well.
> > --
> > Barb Bowman
> > Expert Zone Columnist
> > http:/www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

> > > I already have Netgear cards which worked on the desktop with RC-1. I
> have
> > > installed RC-2 on my laptop and there is no hope. I will not work. I
am
> > > afraid to install RC-2 on the desktop with the Netgear card. If it
does
> > not
> > > work I am toast.

> > > If I knew for SURE that a particular card would work with RC-2 out of
> the
> > > box, I would go buy it in a heartbeat. Looks like I will be searching
> for
> > > good price on the Cisco card this week.

> > > Mark

There
> > are
> > > even
Orinoco
> > or

> > Windows

Wireless 802.11b PC Card?

Post by Beau » Wed, 10 Oct 2001 17:44:18

I've got the Linksys WPC11 card.  I recently "upgraded"
(foolish lad never learns), to Windows XP Build 2526 via
the RC2 ISO download that Microsoft offered recently.  I'm
unable to communicate with my other workstation on my
wireless network.  The wireless network worked great,
before the upgrade.  I've got the link light lit up, and
the data light is flashing away merrily.  However, I'm
unable to ping the WAP or the other workstation.  Any
thoughts?

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>There is no XP in-box support for all of these OEM

Intersil Prism II based
Quote:>cards like those from Netgear, Linksys, DLink, SMC,

Sohoware, and a host of
Quote:>others. Things to consider - if you upgraded from Windows
9x, you may have
>to completely uninstall the drivers that were on the
machine when you
>upgraded and then reinstall the windows 2000 driver for
the card. Most of
>these ship with a utility that is sourced from Neesus
Datacomm that just
>plain doesn't work or worse, blue screens. Don't install
it and if it is
>installed, UNinstall it. If you have done all of this, to
point the card at
>the right access point, go to network connections and on
the card properties
>there is usually an advanced or settings button where you
can specify the
>SSID/station name, select the channel, or specify adhoc
versus
>infrastructure (and for many, WEP enable or disable, etc.)

>I don't have a Netgear card, but I *DO* have cards from
Linksys, DLink, and
>Sohoware. They all worked with the w2k drivers (in some
cases using newer
>drivers from the vendor website) with no utility program
installed on RC2
>and they work in RTM 2600 as well.

>I can tell you that I am personally able to use

Lucent/Orinoco Silver cards
>with built in XP drivers and that I have personally seen
Cisco cards working
>as well.
>--
>Barb Bowman
>Expert Zone Columnist
>http:/www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

>> I already have Netgear cards which worked on the

desktop with RC-1. I have
Quote:>> installed RC-2 on my laptop and there is no hope. I
will not work. I am
>> afraid to install RC-2 on the desktop with the Netgear
card. If it does
>not
>> work I am toast.

>> If I knew for SURE that a particular card would work

with RC-2 out of the
Quote:>> box, I would go buy it in a heartbeat. Looks like I

will be searching for

>> good price on the Cisco card this week.

>> Mark

>> > The Lucent Orinoco and Cisco cards have great in box
XP support. There
>are
>> > in box drivers for the 3Com Air Connect, Intel, and
Symbol Spectrum 24
>> > 802.11b cards, but they are badly broken and there is
no connectivity,
>> even
>> > with RTM 2600. If you are about to purchase a card,
stick with Orinoco
>or
>> > Cisco.

>> > --
>> > Barb Bowman
>> > Expert Zone Columnist
>> > http:/www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

that works with
>Windows
>> > XP

>.

Wireless 802.11b PC Card?

Post by barb bowma » Wed, 10 Oct 2001 19:18:56

What did you upgrade *from*?

Have you tried completely uninstalling the card and then reinstalling it
since this upgrade? Please check the card properties and make sure it is set
to "infrastructure" and that the station name/SSID is correct. This
generation of Linksys pcmcia cards uses "linksys" as the default name. Did
you previously change the name on the WAP11? Were you running encryption?

If you could post some details - answers to above, it would help diagnose --

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist
http:/www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

> I've got the Linksys WPC11 card.  I recently "upgraded"
> (foolish lad never learns), to Windows XP Build 2526 via
> the RC2 ISO download that Microsoft offered recently.  I'm
> unable to communicate with my other workstation on my
> wireless network.  The wireless network worked great,
> before the upgrade.  I've got the link light lit up, and
> the data light is flashing away merrily.  However, I'm
> unable to ping the WAP or the other workstation.  Any
> thoughts?

Wireless 802.11b PC Card?

Post by x » Thu, 11 Oct 2001 07:45:33

I was able to get it working this morning.  Thanks for the response.  It
started working as soon as I disabled WEP.  Not exactly ideal, but I'll deal
with it considering WEP is pretty much useless...

> What did you upgrade *from*?

> Have you tried completely uninstalling the card and then reinstalling it
> since this upgrade? Please check the card properties and make sure it is
set
> to "infrastructure" and that the station name/SSID is correct. This
> generation of Linksys pcmcia cards uses "linksys" as the default name. Did
> you previously change the name on the WAP11? Were you running encryption?

> If you could post some details - answers to above, it would help
diagnose --

> --
> Barb Bowman
> Expert Zone Columnist
> http:/www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

> > I've got the Linksys WPC11 card.  I recently "upgraded"
> > (foolish lad never learns), to Windows XP Build 2526 via
> > the RC2 ISO download that Microsoft offered recently.  I'm
> > unable to communicate with my other workstation on my
> > wireless network.  The wireless network worked great,
> > before the upgrade.  I've got the link light lit up, and
> > the data light is flashing away merrily.  However, I'm
> > unable to ping the WAP or the other workstation.  Any
> > thoughts?

1. 3Com AirConnect Wireless 802.11b pcmica network card

I am unable to get a 3com Airconnnect 802.11b pcmica
wireless NIC to work in XP.  I have seen other posts
dealing with RC2 and other non RTM versions, but I was
wondering what the current status is.  I have worked with
3com 2.0 drivers, and the drivers native to XP, but no
luck.  The card is seen, and installed.  After setting
the ESS ID, the WLAN is seen for a moment or two, then
connectivity is lost.

has anyone had more luck than I?

2. << Real, Protected Mode >>

3. Problem with XP and 802.11b Wireless PCMCIA card.

4. Network topology

5. Installing Belkin PCI 802.11b Wireless Network Card

6. Shut Down doesn't work

7. Questions about 802.11b WEP keys and wireless NIC cards

8. XP upgrade/defunked modem

9. Who has a XP certified 802.11b PC card?

10. ActiveSync over 802.11b card, conflict with onboard network card

11. OT-basic questions about 802.11b and 802.11g