XP critical update question

Post by curiou » Wed, 20 Feb 2002 06:15:37

Using windows update I am shown this critical update for WinXP:
<quote>
This update resolves the "Unchecked Buffer in SNMP Service Could
Enable Arbitrary Code to be Run" security vulnerability in Windows XP,
and is discussed in Microsoft Security Bulletin MS02-006. Download now
to prevent a malicious user from running code of his or her choice or
launching a denial of service (DoS) attack on your computer.
</quote>
It will d/l but will not install after many tries. Then I look in my
"services" and I see that I have both "SNMP" services disabled and I
do not even think they are installed in the first place.

So every time I check windows update I am told I have this critical
update to install. Am I right in assuming this is not for my machine,
WinXP HE? If not for my machine, am I going to get the notification of
this update forever? I could not find a way to omit this notification
warning every time I check for updates.

Thanks in advance!

Post by Bob Byrn » Thu, 21 Feb 2002 00:10:37

>>Using windows update I am shown this critical update for WinXP:
>><quote>
>>This update resolves the "Unchecked Buffer in SNMP Service Could
>>Enable Arbitrary Code to be Run" security vulnerability in Windows XP,
>>and is discussed in Microsoft Security Bulletin MS02-006.
>It may be that you have already downloaded and installed a later
>update which includes that one.  I suggest getting the latest
>comprehensive update for IE, at
>http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q316/0/59.asp
>and then ignore anything for it that might appear in Critical updates
>from earlier than the date of that

The IE cumulative update you refer to is MS02-005.  MS02-006 is a
later update for SNMP, not IE specifically.  XP doesn't install SNMP
by default so if it hasn't been installed or is disabled then you don't
need the update.

--
Regards, Bob

1. Loaded IE6 Critical Update and VM 816093 Critical Update

I was prompted for these two critical updates on my
computer.  I am currently using Windows ME - Now when I go
into games, they will not load and the help says to make
sure you have Virtual Machine loaded, which it is, and to
check to make sure you have all Java stuff enabled, which
they are.  I was reading about the update for 816093 and I
do not understand what it is actually saying - if this
update has a problem or if it is supposed to fix the
problem - anyway - I have been having problems since I
loaded these two updates.  Anyone have any suggestions?

2. How to get WMP to work with firewall?

3. Windows Update - Q817287: Critical Update (Catalog Database Corruption in Microsoft Windows XP)

5. XP update site - non-critical updates recursive problem

6. NT3.5.1 emulating Adaptec Aspi SCSI

7. Windows XP Automatic updates/Critical updates

8. cannot shut down windows

9. XP won't update critical updates

10. XP critical update Q313484 keeps being installed by Windows Update

11. Windows update failed to download a critical update... now any update fails.

12. Critical update question

13. Critical Updates Question.