Viewing .jpg's crashes explorer, even in open dialogue boxes

Viewing .jpg's crashes explorer, even in open dialogue boxes

Post by Shan » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 20:23:14

Have XP home edition on a 1G/256Meg Dell laptop.  I have
over 2000 of my own photos, but something happened a year
ago where some of the .jpgs get corrupted or the .jpg
viewing component of windows got corrupted, and
certain .jpg fiels can't be viewed.  (most created in
Photoshop 6, but not all).  ALSO, can't open the folder
with the .jpg in after that!  Not only in Windows
Explorer, but also in the open dialogue box in all other
programs.

Only solution so far has been to go into DOS and delete
(through guessing) the offending jpg.  Currently probably
have about 15 folders I can't open, and I don't want to
particularly delete what is in them.

Note, the files open just fine on other computers. So, I'm
suspecting that the way XP read/previews jpgs is corrupt.
Is there an easy solution, like downloading a single
component to fix the problem?

Thanks! -Shane

Post by Jake » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 23:34:08

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Have XP home edition on a 1G/256Meg Dell laptop.  I have
>over 2000 of my own photos, but something happened a
year
>ago where some of the .jpgs get corrupted or the .jpg
>viewing component of windows got corrupted, and
>certain .jpg fiels can't be viewed.  (most created in
>Photoshop 6, but not all).  ALSO, can't open the folder
>with the .jpg in after that!  Not only in Windows
>Explorer, but also in the open dialogue box in all other
>programs.

>Only solution so far has been to go into DOS and delete
>(through guessing) the offending jpg.  Currently
probably
>have about 15 folders I can't open, and I don't want to
>particularly delete what is in them.

>Note, the files open just fine on other computers. So,
I'm
>suspecting that the way XP read/previews jpgs is
corrupt.
>Is there an easy solution, like downloading a single
>component to fix the problem?

>Thanks! -Shane
>.
>When you try to open the photo file, are you also

opening thumbnails?  If YES, change your photo editor to
NOT open thumbnails for they eat up your memory and stop
many files from opening.  Break your photo files down to
no more than 100 per directory, I now have 20
directories.  I had the same problem.  All works fine now.

Viewing .jpg's crashes explorer, even in open dialogue boxes

Post by John Inze » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 03:46:23

Do you happen to have Adobe PhotoShop or
Elements installed?

If you do...right click on a .jpg file and choose
Properties. Click the Photoshop Image tab
and uncheck the "Generate Thumbnails" button,
then click OK.

--

John Inzer
Picture It! MVP

Quote:> Have XP home edition on a 1G/256Meg Dell laptop.  I have