Misplaced CD key

Post by Kawipo » Mon, 27 May 2002 17:35:15

Where can I find the CD key for an installed version of Windows XP?  I
misplaced my jewel case. Thanks!

Misplaced CD key

Post by Trinit » Mon, 27 May 2002 17:57:19

OEM?  Should be a sticker on outside of your case.

Cheers!
T.

Quote:> Where can I find the CD key for an installed version of Windows XP?  I
> misplaced my jewel case. Thanks!

Misplaced CD key

Post by Kawipo » Mon, 27 May 2002 18:04:34

Like I said I don't have the case.

> OEM?  Should be a sticker on outside of your case.

> Cheers!
> T.

> > Where can I find the CD key for an installed version of Windows XP?  I
> > misplaced my jewel case. Thanks!

Misplaced CD key

Post by Trinit » Mon, 27 May 2002 18:07:50

PC case!  Not jewel case.

> Like I said I don't have the case.

> > OEM?  Should be a sticker on outside of your case.

> > Cheers!
> > T.

> > > Where can I find the CD key for an installed version of Windows XP?  I
> > > misplaced my jewel case. Thanks!

Misplaced CD key

Post by Kawipo » Mon, 27 May 2002 18:18:33

A jewel case is a PC case!

> PC case!  Not jewel case.

> > Like I said I don't have the case.

> > > OEM?  Should be a sticker on outside of your case.

> > > Cheers!
> > > T.

Misplaced CD key

Post by Trinit » Mon, 27 May 2002 18:22:46

Aaaarrrggghhh!

> A jewel case is a PC case!

> > PC case!  Not jewel case.

> > > Like I said I don't have the case.

XP?

Misplaced CD key

Post by Trinit » Mon, 27 May 2002 18:26:58

With thanks to:
http://www.dragon.ca/information/symbols/legend.htm

"The long answer:
The clear, hard plastic case which holds one or more CDs is called a jewel
case. These are traditionally used to hold CDs and are found inside the
Retail Box games that you purchase in stores. Although, more commonly now,
the CD is held in a paper sleeve. "

I'm talking PC case, not CD case!

> A jewel case is a PC case!

> > PC case!  Not jewel case.

> > > Like I said I don't have the case.

XP?

Misplaced CD key

Post by Mad » Mon, 27 May 2002 18:28:59

LOL!!!... this thread made my day :)
he he he

> Aaaarrrggghhh!

> > A jewel case is a PC case!

> > > PC case!  Not jewel case.

> XP?

Misplaced CD key

Post by Trinit » Mon, 27 May 2002 18:33:49

lol ... wow!  you've had a worse day than me!  glad someone got something
from this debacle!

Post by Michael Steven » Mon, 27 May 2002 19:31:20

> A jewel case is a PC case!

> > PC case!  Not jewel case.

Lot's of misunderstanding here. A Jewel case in reference to a computer is
the plastic container where the CD is stored. A PC (i.e. Personal Computer)
Case is the case (housing) the motherboard; CPU, Sound card, etc. etc.,
If you bought the computer with XP preinstalled, the CD Key would be on a
sticker on the PC case. If you bought the retail boxed version, it will be
on the Jewel Case. If you bought an OEM version, it will be on a sticker to
put on a PC case.

The only place you are going to most likely find the CD Key since you
mentioned the Jewel Case is the Jewel Case. It is not stored in the registry
like previous version of Win 9X/Me. If you can't find the key, you will have
to call MS and request a new Key after supplying proof of purchase.

--

Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP

> > > Like I said I don't have the case.

XP?

Misplaced CD key

Post by Bob Huntle » Mon, 27 May 2002 19:36:32

The tin box your computer lives in!!

> Like I said I don't have the case.

> > OEM?  Should be a sticker on outside of your case.

> > Cheers!
> > T.

> > > Where can I find the CD key for an installed version of Windows XP?  I
> > > misplaced my jewel case. Thanks!

Misplaced CD key

Post by Mad » Mon, 27 May 2002 23:14:49

He he he At first the problem is the misplaced CD Key, now the problem is to
define Jewel Case and PC Case...
:-))
LOL!!!!!

> lol ... wow!  you've had a worse day than me!  glad someone got something
> from this debacle!

> > LOL!!!... this thread made my day :)
> > he he he

> > > Aaaarrrggghhh!

> Windows
> > > XP?

Misplaced CD key

Post by mrte » Mon, 27 May 2002 23:57:11

My retail XP CD did not come in a jewel case, it was contained in a threefold paper sleeve with the key code on that sleeve.

| Lot's of misunderstanding here. A Jewel case in reference to a computer is
| the plastic container where the CD is stored. A PC (i.e. Personal Computer)
| Case is the case (housing) the motherboard; CPU, Sound card, etc. etc.,
| If you bought the computer with XP preinstalled, the CD Key would be on a
| sticker on the PC case. If you bought the retail boxed version, it will be
| on the Jewel Case. If you bought an OEM version, it will be on a sticker to
| put on a PC case.
|
| The only place you are going to most likely find the CD Key since you
| mentioned the Jewel Case is the Jewel Case. It is not stored in the registry
| like previous version of Win 9X/Me. If you can't find the key, you will have
| to call MS and request a new Key after supplying proof of purchase.
|
| --
|
| Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP

---

Misplaced CD key

Post by Stuart Sutherlan » Tue, 28 May 2002 00:12:20

>My retail XP CD did not come in a jewel case, it was contained in a threefold paper sleeve with the key code on that sleeve.

So did mine, along with something along the lines of "Do not lose this
key.  You will need it if you wish to reinstall"  So I now have at
least three copies scattered about in various places.

Stuart sutherland

Misplaced CD key

Post by Juny » Tue, 28 May 2002 02:18:06

The article says that SP1 would focus on known serial numbers that are said
to be in use.  In a previous post Michael Stevens (MS-MVP XP) said that the
serial numbers arent stored in the registry.  Just curious, but is he
misinformed, would the serial number be stored somewhere else in the system
other than the registry or is the 'rumor' a line of BS.

Chip

> > A jewel case is a PC case!

> > > PC case!  Not jewel case.

> Lot's of misunderstanding here. A Jewel case in reference to a computer is
> the plastic container where the CD is stored. A PC (i.e. Personal
Computer)
> Case is the case (housing) the motherboard; CPU, Sound card, etc. etc.,
> If you bought the computer with XP preinstalled, the CD Key would be on a
> sticker on the PC case. If you bought the retail boxed version, it will be
> on the Jewel Case. If you bought an OEM version, it will be on a sticker
> put on a PC case.

> The only place you are going to most likely find the CD Key since you
> mentioned the Jewel Case is the Jewel Case. It is not stored in the
registry
> like previous version of Win 9X/Me. If you can't find the key, you will
have
> to call MS and request a new Key after supplying proof of purchase.

> --

> Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP

> XP?

1. Misplaced my Win 98 CD-KEY (Honest)

I have rather stupidly misplaced my Win 98 CD-Key - I wrote down the
product ID in the System Properties but unfortunately, this I now know
bears no resemblance to the actual CD-Key.

I have spoke to Microsoft who referred me to my OEM (My pc came bundled
with 98).
I contacted Time Computers in Lancashire but have been unable to get any
sence out of them at all.

No matter what problem you have they insist you need to speak to their

got an engaged tone/ ringing tone with no answer.

I have looked for a win 98 Key Generator as a last resort but alas to no
avail.

I am getting a bit fed up! Does anyone know a code that works or a back
door?

Your help would be appreciated.

2. Netscape Commerce on NT, curious URL/directory probs..

3. Misplaced Certificate of Authenticity or Product Key

4. Can't Search Anywhere!

5. keyboard keys misplaced

6. CD-Rom Read & Write Technology ?

7. CD key in registry does not match my cd key why?

8. Packard Bell problem

9. Misplaced SB16 and Teac CD-55-A installation disks

10. Icon Misplaced

11. Misplaced Icon

12. Forgot and misplace password to log on to my windows XP.

13. misplaced game