offline folder location

offline folder location

Post by Mike Bod » Thu, 16 May 2002 08:15:59



Maybe nobody saw this, so here it is again:

I have a notebook with XP and I am trying to use offline
folders and the synchronization features. However, the
notebook came with the HD in two partitions, and I'd like
to use the D: drive for the offline files and folders.
How do I tell XP that I want to store the offline copies
on the D: drive? All I can find is a feature to set the
maximum space for the offline items, but that's on the C:
drive.

mike

 
 
 

offline folder location

Post by Bill Sanderso » Thu, 16 May 2002 13:50:14


Under Windows 2000, there was a specific executable tool to change this
location.  I'm not clear whether it was a Resource Kit piece, or in the
product--anyway, other messages suggest that this same tool probably works
with XP, but I don't know where to find it, nor am I remembering the name at
the moment!


Quote:> Maybe nobody saw this, so here it is again:

> I have a notebook with XP and I am trying to use offline
> folders and the synchronization features. However, the
> notebook came with the HD in two partitions, and I'd like
> to use the D: drive for the offline files and folders.
> How do I tell XP that I want to store the offline copies
> on the D: drive? All I can find is a feature to set the
> maximum space for the offline items, but that's on the C:
> drive.

> mike


 
 
 

offline folder location

Post by David Holme » Thu, 16 May 2002 15:05:28



Quote:> Under Windows 2000, there was a specific executable tool to change this
> location.  I'm not clear whether it was a Resource Kit piece, or in the
> product--anyway, other messages suggest that this same tool probably works
> with XP, but I don't know where to find it, nor am I remembering the name
at
> the moment!

Its cachemov.exe in the  win2k resource kit.
http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q216581

There is no mention in the KB of the use of this tool with XP.

David

 
 
 

offline folder location

Post by Bill Sanderso » Thu, 16 May 2002 23:15:30


One forum participant opined that it might--but we need to hear from someone
who's willing to do the test.

I've never used the feature, I'm afraid, and can't easily test it--this
machine joins domains only over VPN's and it's a bit of a pain to switch
back and forth.

If it does work, we should petition for a change to the KB article!




> > Under Windows 2000, there was a specific executable tool to change this
> > location.  I'm not clear whether it was a Resource Kit piece, or in the
> > product--anyway, other messages suggest that this same tool probably
works
> > with XP, but I don't know where to find it, nor am I remembering the
name
> at
> > the moment!

> Its cachemov.exe in the  win2k resource kit.
> http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q216581

> There is no mention in the KB of the use of this tool with XP.

> David

 
 
 

offline folder location

Post by Mike Bod » Fri, 17 May 2002 06:43:31


I'd give it a try, but I don't have the 2K REsource Kit
(and don't want to buy since I have moved to XP). I'll try
to find it and post my results here.

mike

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>One forum participant opined that it might--but we need

to hear from someone
>who's willing to do the test.

>I've never used the feature, I'm afraid, and can't easily
test it--this
>machine joins domains only over VPN's and it's a bit of a
pain to switch
>back and forth.

>If it does work, we should petition for a change to the
KB article!





in message

>> > Under Windows 2000, there was a specific executable
tool to change this
>> > location.  I'm not clear whether it was a Resource

Kit piece, or in the
Quote:>> > product--anyway, other messages suggest that this
same tool probably
>works
>> > with XP, but I don't know where to find it, nor am I
remembering the
>name
>> at
>> > the moment!

>> Its cachemov.exe in the  win2k resource kit.
>> http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?

scid=kb;en-us;Q216581

- Show quoted text -

Quote:

>> There is no mention in the KB of the use of this tool
with XP.

>> David

>.

 
 
 

offline folder location

Post by Bill Sanderso » Fri, 17 May 2002 07:57:20


That's my other issue--I don't have the file handy myself.  Hope you find it
and let us know any result.


Quote:> I'd give it a try, but I don't have the 2K REsource Kit
> (and don't want to buy since I have moved to XP). I'll try
> to find it and post my results here.

> mike

 
 
 

offline folder location

Post by David Holme » Fri, 17 May 2002 15:59:11



Quote:> I'd give it a try, but I don't have the 2K REsource Kit
> (and don't want to buy since I have moved to XP). I'll try
> to find it and post my results here.

I didn't realize it was something you had to buy. I thought it was available
from here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/tools/default.asp

:-(

David

 
 
 

offline folder location

Post by Mike Bod » Sat, 18 May 2002 02:16:39


Yep, it works.

I just tried the cachemov.exe and it moved my cache to D:.
There is also a dll, but apparently you only need that if
you want to run the application unattended. The only thing
was that cachemov could not delete the "old" cache on the
C: drive and I had to do that manually. I had to take the
system off the network for that (no big deal since it's a
laptop anyway). So far I have not found any problems.
there is an article that says that one might have to
create a temp directory on the drive that houses the
cache, but I did not have to do that. So far, everything
is good. Thanks for your help (Bill and David).

mike

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>That's my other issue--I don't have the file handy

myself.  Hope you find it
>and let us know any result.



>> I'd give it a try, but I don't have the 2K REsource Kit
>> (and don't want to buy since I have moved to XP). I'll
try
>> to find it and post my results here.

>> mike

>.

 
 
 

offline folder location

Post by Bill Sanderso » Sat, 18 May 2002 04:31:29


Terrific!


> Yep, it works.

> I just tried the cachemov.exe and it moved my cache to D:.
> There is also a dll, but apparently you only need that if
> you want to run the application unattended. The only thing
> was that cachemov could not delete the "old" cache on the
> C: drive and I had to do that manually. I had to take the
> system off the network for that (no big deal since it's a
> laptop anyway). So far I have not found any problems.
> there is an article that says that one might have to
> create a temp directory on the drive that houses the
> cache, but I did not have to do that. So far, everything
> is good. Thanks for your help (Bill and David).

> mike

> >-----Original Message-----
> >That's my other issue--I don't have the file handy
> myself.  Hope you find it
> >and let us know any result.



> >> I'd give it a try, but I don't have the 2K REsource Kit
> >> (and don't want to buy since I have moved to XP). I'll
> try
> >> to find it and post my results here.

> >> mike

> >.

 
 
 

1. offline folder location

I have a notebook with XP and I am trying to use offline
folders and the synchronization features. However, the
notebook came with the HD in two partitions, and I'd like
to use the D: drive for the offline files and folders.
How do I tell XP that I want to store the offline copies
on the D: drive? All I can find is a feature to set the
maximum space for the offline items, but that's on the C:
drive.

mike

2. Kernel Debugger

3. Joining NT Domain

4. Removing Unavailable Offline Folders from Offline Folders Settings

5. How can I do an fdisk/mbr on my XP system ?

6. How to change Offline Files folder location?

7. FLAC FILES

8. Location of offline folder file

9. location of offline files/folders

10. Offline Folders - Change Default Location?

11. Location of Offline Files folder

12. offline files folder location