100% load in task manager ... :(

Post by LBJG » Wed, 15 Jan 2003 09:46:57

What the heck... 100% at idle just doesn't seem right.

So I went to msconfig and selected diagnostic startup.... still 100% load

I started in safe mode and the system goes back to 0-3% at idle

How can I track down the culprit that's sucking up my resources.

Here is a pic of the processes running.... it looks like system is really
working at it... but what it's doing is what I want to know.

http://members.rogers.com/lbjgh_ati/load.jpg

---

100% load in task manager ... :(

Post by Ken Ratajcza » Wed, 15 Jan 2003 09:56:18

You better check for a virus..........I have been seeing allot of this
lately.

Quote:> What the heck... 100% at idle just doesn't seem right.

> So I went to msconfig and selected diagnostic startup.... still 100% load

> I started in safe mode and the system goes back to 0-3% at idle

> How can I track down the culprit that's sucking up my resources.

> Here is a pic of the processes running.... it looks like system is really
> working at it... but what it's doing is what I want to know.

> http://members.rogers.com/lbjgh_ati/load.jpg

> ---

100% load in task manager ... :(

Post by Ron » Wed, 15 Jan 2003 11:42:00

Good Luck!

I've got the exact same problem.  Usually appears when
you try to do a search function.  Sometimes you will see
100% when you go to internet explorer and other times
when you are trying to use windows explorer.

Now the bad news. I went online to microsoft and did a
search to see if anyone else had this problem. I found:

microsoft knowledge base article 317751.
Explorer.exe process uses many cpu cycles when windows is
Idle.

They go on to list a fix - but they don't recommend using
it until they do another XP service pack that will
contain the fix.

I still wanted to do the fix, but since my XP Pro came on
my new Sony, the web site wouldn't let me have the fix.

I went to Sony, "Event ID 19097406" they said Microsoft
hasn't sent them the fix yet, so there was nothing they
could do.

Lets get together and sue the bas....s. I am so sick of
Sony.  This is my third Sony, I guess I'm stupid for
buying another one - Especially after my p240 (An old
pentium 2 running at 240 MHz)that was supposed to be the
wonder of the video world sucked. Then I bought my PCG
F480 laptop (A pentium 3 running at 600 MHz on AC power)
that was supposed to correct Sony's claims of being able
to capture video without dropping frames. HA! HA! Dumb
me, when it didn't work I should have bought me a Dell.
But no, I thought Sony's Great P4 2.0 Ghz with 1 Gigabyte
of ram would do the trick.  No such luck as I have now
discovered.

I don't know how long we're going to have to wait for the
little green window (indicates 100% cpu usage when the
task manager is minimized), to go away....I hope not long
I think my 5 years of waiting is long enough!

Enyone else reading this, don't buy a Sony if you want
your computer to work right

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>What the heck... 100% at idle just doesn't seem right.

>So I went to msconfig and selected diagnostic

startup.... still 100% load
Quote:

>I started in safe mode and the system goes back to 0-3%
at idle

>How can I track down the culprit that's sucking up my
resources.

>Here is a pic of the processes running.... it looks like
system is really
>working at it... but what it's doing is what I want to
know.

>http://members.rogers.com/lbjgh_ati/load.jpg

>---
>Checked by AVG anti-virus system

(http://www.grisoft.com).

Quote:>Version: 6.0.443 / Virus Database: 248 - Release Date:
1/10/2003

>.

100% load in task manager ... :(

Post by LBJG » Wed, 15 Jan 2003 13:29:09

Hey guys... I got the the save from a forum I visit...

I installed an application called Vcool which is designed to reduce idle
temperatures... I guess it did more than that...

I started in safe mode and searched and deleted the offending vcool.sys
files from the HD.  I then went into regedit and deleted the registry
entrys.

Good like new....

http://members.rogers.com/lbjgh_ati/fix.jpg

---

1. SYSTEM process in task manager hogging 100%of cpu time?

Explorer.exe Process Uses Many CPU Cycles When Windows Is Idle
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;317751

--
Mark L. Ferguson   TabletPC MVP

All email without "QZ" in the subject line will be automatically deleted.
marfer's notes for XP  >  http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/xp_notes.htm
.

2. error message keeps xp pro from starting , desktop is showing

3. 100% cpu on (system) in task manager

4. Can't get to sites

5. Task Manager using 100% CPU

6. SATA HDD's Set-up

7. 96-100 in the Task Manager

8. unhandled exception

9. computer usage under task manager goes to 100%

10. Task Manager says 100%, but it's all idle

11. Task Manager using 100% CPU