Good Backup Program

Post by Mark » Thu, 01 Aug 2002 01:42:12

I am looking for a backup program for Windows XP.  I've use the built
in program but it seems unreliable, especially with scheduled backups
which it rarely performs as scheduled.  I want something that will
backup the entire system and is easy to restore (possibly with a
bootable floppy) in case of a system crash.  I also want it to support
both tape backup as well as cd/dvd backup.  Any suggestions?

Good Backup Program

Post by Bob » Thu, 01 Aug 2002 01:56:30

I purchased a program called Back Up My PC. It is from Veritas
distributed and sold on the web site called stompinc.com. It seems to
meet all your requirements. first tho make sure it supports your cd
drive. HTH

> I am looking for a backup program for Windows XP.  I've use the built
> in program but it seems unreliable, especially with scheduled backups
> which it rarely performs as scheduled.  I want something that will
> backup the entire system and is easy to restore (possibly with a
> bootable floppy) in case of a system crash.  I also want it to support
> both tape backup as well as cd/dvd backup.  Any suggestions?

Please reply only to the group.

Good Backup Program

Post by Scott B » Thu, 01 Aug 2002 05:05:39

You might want to try Norton Ghost 2002 or The corporate version of Ghost.
Works great!

-Scott

Quote:> I am looking for a backup program for Windows XP.  I've use the built
> in program but it seems unreliable, especially with scheduled backups
> which it rarely performs as scheduled.  I want something that will
> backup the entire system and is easy to restore (possibly with a
> bootable floppy) in case of a system crash.  I also want it to support
> both tape backup as well as cd/dvd backup.  Any suggestions?

Good Backup Program

Post by Nick » Thu, 01 Aug 2002 05:34:41

Veritas is good. I'm using Backup Exec Desktop Pro, which I think is an
older release, but still great.

Only thing with any backup is that you will have to run packet writing
software (like IN-CD from Nero), if you want to back up to CDR / CD/RW.
Basically this allows Backup, Explorer, etc. to treat the CD like a
floppy disk.

--
Nick Petruck
Event Services Group

1. Suggest a good backup program?

Trying to be a good boy and do the right thing....I've been using my PC
for several months, and have yet to back it up.  OK, time to address
that.  So I try the included backup program (XP Pro), but - incredibly
- it seems to only back up to FLOPPIES?  Ay, carumba.....maybe I'm
doing something wrong (I am, after all, something of a moron), but it
seems like the included backup utility won't write to a CD burner
(which makes me question just how useful it is).  So I'm guessing I
need to buy a backup program if I want something that makes life
easier, rather than harder....

What I'd like is to be able to select various directories on my HD,
start the backup, and have the program fill up CDs as necessary - if I
want to backup up mondo files, then it should fill up one, pause,
prompt me for another blank CD, then continue, untill everything's all
backed up.

Is this so much to ask?  Surely there's a decent XP backup program out
there, no?....can someone suggest one?

Thanks!!

2. Voice over IP question

3. Good Backup Program

4. Nasty font/coding problem ! please help :(

5. Good Backup Program Please ??

6. Embedded Browser Control Wanted

7. Good backup program for NT 4.0

8. Sound Blaster 16 non-pno problem with MIC

9. Need good backup program...

10. anyone know a good automated backup program?

11. good inexpensive backup program for MEand/or XP

12. Backup to CDROM or HD using XP Pro's Backup program.

13. Backup program-How to do full system backup