Changing screen resolution to one user only.

Changing screen resolution to one user only.

Post by Williant » Thu, 28 Feb 2002 03:05:32

Greetings all,

I use Microsoft XP Profesional Ed. in my home. I share the computer with my
wife. She prefer 800 x 600 resolution with a small font while I always
prefer 1280 x 1024 with large font. The problem is it looks like the screen
resolution setting cannot be differenciate between users.

I am missing something here? What should i do so that i can have different
screen resolution preferences with my wife?

TIA
Willianto

Changing screen resolution to one user only.

Post by Williant » Thu, 28 Feb 2002 03:05:32

Greetings all,

I use Microsoft XP Profesional Ed. in my home. I share the computer with my
wife. She prefer 800 x 600 resolution with a small font while I always
prefer 1280 x 1024 with large font. The problem is it looks like the screen
resolution setting cannot be differenciate between users.

I am missing something here? What should i do so that i can have different
screen resolution preferences with my wife?

TIA
Willianto

Changing screen resolution to one user only.

Post by Doug Knox MS-MV » Fri, 01 Mar 2002 07:33:51

You can't without 3rd party software. Screen Resolution is a per machine setting, not per user.

--
Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows XP/9x
Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes

> Greetings all,

> I use Microsoft XP Profesional Ed. in my home. I share the computer with my
> wife. She prefer 800 x 600 resolution with a small font while I always
> prefer 1280 x 1024 with large font. The problem is it looks like the screen
> resolution setting cannot be differenciate between users.

> I am missing something here? What should i do so that i can have different
> screen resolution preferences with my wife?

> TIA
> Willianto

Changing screen resolution to one user only.

Post by Williant » Fri, 01 Mar 2002 22:05:33

Hi Doug,

You can't without 3rd party software. Screen Resolution is a per machine
setting, not per user.

I see... Can you tell me what is the 3rd party software that would do the
job?

TIA
Willianto

Post by Doug Knox MS-MV » Sat, 02 Mar 2002 00:18:20

Sorry, but I don't use any of the programs.  You can try a search at www.hotfiles.com for "screen resolution windows xp".  You'll get hits for shareware and freeware programs that may or may not be what you're looking for.

--
Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows XP/9x
Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
Associate Expert
ExpertZone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

> Hi Doug,

> You can't without 3rd party software. Screen Resolution is a per machine
> setting, not per user.

> I see... Can you tell me what is the 3rd party software that would do the
> job?

> TIA
> Willianto

Changing screen resolution to one user only.

Post by Stephane Barizie » Fri, 12 Apr 2002 05:13:04

Quote:> Greetings all,

> I use Microsoft XP Profesional Ed. in my home. I share the computer with
my
> wife. She prefer 800 x 600 resolution with a small font while I always
> prefer 1280 x 1024 with large font. The problem is it looks like the
screen
> resolution setting cannot be differenciate between users.

> I am missing something here? What should i do so that i can have different
> screen resolution preferences with my wife?

> TIA
> Willianto

Here's the solution:

XPKeepPerUserDisplaySettings
The Microsoft Windows XP development team has decided that all users sharing
a Windows XP PC must have the same display settings -- same resolution, same
color depth, same refresh rate.

This is especially annoying in home environments, where mom and dad
typically do "serious things" that require higher screen resolutions, like
balancing bank accounts, and kids are running games or multimedia apps that
often assume 800x600 or 640x480.

If you add to the equation the very nice "Fast User Switching" feature, you
end up with the kids' games being displayed in a very small area on the
screen or the data in dad's spreadsheet being displayed with only 10 rows!

After some investigation of the Windows XP new APIs, I decided to bite the
bullet and try and work around that "design choice" (read: limitation).

Here's the current outcome: a rather small applet (though I've coded it
using MFC to be "quicker to market," it doesn't need to be; if there's
enough justification I might rewrite it in "plain SDK" code) that you need
to run in each user's account, that will save the display settings
independently for each user, and restore it at logon AND when switching
among several active users.

Freeware, available at

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/sto41/en/My%20Tools/XPKeepPerUserDisplaySetti...

Hope this helps!