Windows XP upgrade from Windows 98

Post by Rick Jackso » Tue, 18 Feb 2003 12:09:08

I'm having a lot of ftrouble with my home computer running
Windows 98 and I'm thinking of upgrading to Windows XP.
If I have a corrupted version of Windows 98, will I still
be able to upgrade of would I have load a full version of
Windows XP.  I'm currently experiencing lockups when I
double click on "older" desktop icons.  Most of the more
recent additions seem to work o.k.

Windows XP upgrade from Windows 98

Post by Rick » Tue, 18 Feb 2003 12:41:50

Hi Rick,

You should be able to upgrade, WinXP only has to "see" the existing installation, it doesn't need to be all that functional. Be aware that upgrading may not solve all of your problems, and may create new ones depending on their cause.

I would *suggest* that you backup any data files you want to keep (do NOT use msbackup), then boot the WinXP CD and begin the installer, do a new installation and format the drive in the process. It will recognize the Win98 system as a qualifier before it begins.

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers aka "Nutcase" MS-MVP - Win9x - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Associate Expert - WinXP - Expert Zone - www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Win98 Help - www.rickrogers.org
Please reply only to newsgroup...

> I'm having a lot of ftrouble with my home computer running
> Windows 98 and I'm thinking of upgrading to Windows XP.
> If I have a corrupted version of Windows 98, will I still
> be able to upgrade of would I have load a full version of
> Windows XP.  I'm currently experiencing lockups when I
> double click on "older" desktop icons.  Most of the more
> recent additions seem to work o.k.

Windows XP upgrade from Windows 98

Post by Bruce Chamber » Tue, 18 Feb 2003 23:59:21

Greetings --

HOW TO Prepare to Upgrade Win98 or WinMe
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q316639

Bruce Chambers
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
----
You can have peace.  Or you can have freedom.  Don't ever count on
having both at once. -- RAH

Quote:> I'm having a lot of ftrouble with my home computer running