Slave drive causes fatal error on master. Help.

Slave drive causes fatal error on master. Help.

Post by Jatodo » Wed, 15 May 2002 06:22:22

Long story: Got Gateway Pentium 4 last year with 40Gb IBM HD with Windows ME
pre-installed. Has DVD and CD-RW as secondary master & slave. At that time I
installed a second 20Gb drive as primary slave to test my work in Windows
2000 (I program in VB). I had no trouble toggling the boot drive in BIOS.
Compile my program in ME, reboot and toggle BIOS to boot in Win2000 to test
application. I did this all last year with no problem. Then I decided to get
another 40Gb drive (Maxtor) so I could try my work in Windows XP & Windows
2000 Server, & try out Visual Studio.net. I disconnected the cables and set
this up alone as the master, with one partition for W2k and one for XP, and
could boot to either, no problem. Then I tried making it a slave to copy
work from my ME drive. That didn't work. I tried making the spare 20Gb Win2k
drive a slave to the new Maxtor, booting in Windows XP. That did work. I
tried disconnecting the CD & DVD and connected the original IBM 40 Gb IBM
drive as Secondary master, Maxtor 40 GB as Primary master, no slaves, set to
boot Windows 2000 Server so I could copy work from ME. On booting it said it
was checking the secondary drive for consistency, ok? I says "Ok." It
finished booting up ok but didn't recognize the secondary drive, it wasn't
in "My Computer." All the while the jumpers have been on cable-select, and
still are.
So I put everything back the way it was, the DVD & CD as secondary, 40Gb ME
as Primary Master, 20Gb Windows2k as primary slave. On booting to my
original ME drive I got these errors:
ERROR:00:0028:DE5696CA
and:
Unable to write to disk in drive C:
and it won't continue - I must turn it off at the power strip.
For a while I thought I had a virus. I shut down, reconnected the cables,
checked jumpers etc., & finally found that it boots fine if the slave drive
is disconnected, but always gets those same error messages if it is
connected. When stepping through the boot process, it does load some drivers
from C: before getting those errors - the last one is msmouse.vxd. And when
the slave is disconnected it boots fine in normal mode, even though it had
been shut off at the power strip. The slave also still boots as a master
drive alone. It seems I can now boot from any one drive alone, but no
combination. This combo of master and slave worked great all last year, not
any more.
Did Windows 2k server or XP change something on my original ME drive to
prevent it from working with any slave drive? What's going on? How can I put
it back the way it was? Help!

Slave drive causes fatal error on master. Help.

Post by The Sentine » Thu, 16 May 2002 00:13:02

Any version of NT, (Win2K and WinXP among them), are drive and partition
sensitive. After the O/S is installed, you can not "just change" their
relative locations or you will get the results you are seeing. You installed
WinXP while it was drive 1, partition xx. Then you changed the drive so it
is Drive 0, partition xx.

It just will not work!

Quote:> Long story: Got Gateway Pentium 4 last year with 40Gb IBM HD with Windows
> [...]
drive
> is disconnected, but always gets those same error messages if it is
> connected. When stepping through the boot process, it does load some
drivers
> from C: before getting those errors - the last one is msmouse.vxd. And
when
> the slave is disconnected it boots fine in normal mode, even though it had
> been shut off at the power strip. The slave also still boots as a master
> drive alone. It seems I can now boot from any one drive alone, but no
> combination. This combo of master and slave worked great all last year,
not
> any more.
> Did Windows 2k server or XP change something on my original ME drive to
> prevent it from working with any slave drive? What's going on? How can I

1. Slave drive causes fatal error on master. Help.

[...]

2. Win9x autologon to NT4 Domain

3. new master hard drive not recognizing old master as slave

4. Unmountable...Boot Disks

5. switching master/slave hard drive problem - please help

6. Add/Remove Programs

7. HELP: setup WDC & Seagate as Master/Slave hard drives??

8. Lan to Lan - What do I need?

9. Two EIDE Master HD's instead of One Master and One Slave

10. Second hard drive master/slave

11. Master/Slave Hard drives

12. What's the diff between "master" and "slave" drives?

13. Sec master/slave drive - atapi incompatible...