Changing username / My Documents

Post by Jo » Sun, 15 Dec 2002 01:13:29

I've changed the username on computer because I felt it was too
descriptive.

How can I change C:\Documents and Settings\oldname\My Documents to
C:\Documents and Settings\newname\My Documents?

Will simply changing the folder name wreak havoc with multiple
references to the old name?

Thanks for any help.

Joe

Changing username / My Documents

Post by Casey Maine » Sun, 15 Dec 2002 01:31:23

It should automatically create the new folder for you with the new name.
Then you can just go to the old My Documents folder and copy all of your
files over to the new user folder.

//*--> C a s e y

Quote:> I've changed the username on computer because I felt it was too
> descriptive.

> How can I change C:\Documents and Settings\oldname\My Documents to
> C:\Documents and Settings\newname\My Documents?

> Will simply changing the folder name wreak havoc with multiple
> references to the old name?

> Thanks for any help.

> Joe

Changing username / My Documents

Post by DennisLazo.co » Sun, 15 Dec 2002 01:55:49

create first a user with admin privileges you will use for moving (maybe
called move)...then move the contents of the old folder to the new folder.

you can't use either of the two users because windows would be opening some
hidden files in the current user folder...and you can't copy nor over-write
such hidden files.

the delete the move user you have created above.

| It should automatically create the new folder for you with the new name.
| Then you can just go to the old My Documents folder and copy all of your
| files over to the new user folder.
|
| //*--> C a s e y
|

| > I've changed the username on computer because I felt it was too
| > descriptive.
| >
| > How can I change C:\Documents and Settings\oldname\My Documents to
| > C:\Documents and Settings\newname\My Documents?
| >
| > Will simply changing the folder name wreak havoc with multiple
| > references to the old name?
| >
| > Thanks for any help.
| >
| > Joe

1. How do I change the "username" under "documents and settings?

Allright...I give up....how can I change the username
that comes after documents and settings/<username> ?  Ive
tried the recommendation i found on a previous post (run
user.  The first time I did it, it displayed as the name
I wanted to change.  I changed it as per recommendation,
but when rebooted and went into my computer>documents and
settings> there it was, unchanged.  I think it may have
something to do with the "Registered to" name, since
that's what it keeps defaulting to.

Any suggestions? Thanks
-Jeff

2. XP "Help & Support"

3. "Shared Documents" folder name changed to "Documents", how to change back?

4. XP to XP Networking?

5. Alpha and SP4

6. "Username Documents" folder does not appear

7. Change place of offline files

8. How to enable <limited access username>'s Documents shared folder?

9. Username's Documents folder missing. Why?

10. Restoring "username's Documents" shortcut to 'My Computer'

11. %UserName% Documents

12. My Computer\[username]'s documents