Restart Causes Shutdown

Post by Stephen E. Einso » Sat, 03 May 2003 05:00:19

====================================
Clicking the RESTART buttom causes the system to shut down.

Tabbing to the RESTART buttom, and then using the ENTER
key causes the system to shut down.

Software install's that automatically RESTARTS the system
also causes shutdown
=======================
The Stand By and Turn Off modes work correctly, and my
systems runs like a charm.

The problem has just recently occured.

Thanks for any help.
/steve/

Restart Causes Shutdown

Post by Jason Tsan » Sat, 03 May 2003 05:08:32

Your computer is essentially blue screening ... hence the restart...

Windows XP has a feature that is enabled by default, which automatically
reboots the computer when a BSOD ("Blue Screen of Death") is encountered. If
your computer is automatically rebooting, disabling this feature will allow
to see the error message on the BSOD.

To disable this feature, open System Properties by right clicking on My
Computer and selecting Properties. You also can hold down the Windows key on
your keyboard and press Pause/Break or use the System Control Panel to
access this screen.

Once you have System Properties open click on the Advanced tab, then click
on the Startup and Recovery button at the bottom. When the Startup and
Recovery panel opens simply uncheck Automatically Reboot. Then select OK
twice to accept. Now the next time your computer encounters the problem you
will be presented with a screen that will help you track down the issue you
are having.
Having that info, you can then have a pretty good idea what is causing the
crash.

If this doesn't apply to you, then go see
http://www.aumha.org/a/shtdwnxp.htm for more possibilities

--
Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Find out about the MS MVP Program -

> ====================================
> Clicking the RESTART buttom causes the system to shut down.

> Tabbing to the RESTART buttom, and then using the ENTER
> key causes the system to shut down.

> Software install's that automatically RESTARTS the system
> also causes shutdown
> =======================
> The Stand By and Turn Off modes work correctly, and my
> systems runs like a charm.

> The problem has just recently occured.

> Thanks for any help.
> /steve/

Restart Causes Shutdown

Post by Carl » Sat, 03 May 2003 19:13:20

You could check this out. Go to control panel , power option , click the
advanced tab , see what the  two boxes say at the bottom of page. should say
shut down and standby.
Hope this helps.

> ====================================
> Clicking the RESTART buttom causes the system to shut down.

> Tabbing to the RESTART buttom, and then using the ENTER
> key causes the system to shut down.

> Software install's that automatically RESTARTS the system
> also causes shutdown
> =======================
> The Stand By and Turn Off modes work correctly, and my
> systems runs like a charm.

> The problem has just recently occured.

> Thanks for any help.
> /steve/

1. Restart causes shutdown

My Windows XP Pro works perfectly, and no new hardware has
been added since the problem listed below showed up sfter
more than one year of use.

When I click RESTART the computer shuts down.

When I click TURN OFF, the computer shuts down.

When I click STANDBY, the machine enters Standby
correctly, and wakes up without problems.

The RESTART problem also occurs when I TAB to RESTART and
use the ENTER key.

/steve/

2. on windows

3. Dial-Out Causes Shutdown/Restart

4. WEB SERVER _ MOST IMPORTANT

5. Keyboard causes windows to restart instead of shutdown

6. SYSTEM_LICENSE_VIOLATION

7. Shutdown computer causes restart

8. Sorting the entries

9. Enabling Active Desktop causes a system hang during shutdown/restart

10. Why the restart/shutdown/restart loop?

11. Shutdown - Restart OK, Restart from Windows No Good

12. XP Pro Shutdown restarts rather than shutdown

13. Win xp and restart and restart and restart