setting permissions for users to use programs

setting permissions for users to use programs

Post by Joni » Wed, 26 Jun 2002 22:46:42

Can anyone tell me how or point me to instructions on how
to set permissions for users on our family computer to
use a program.  All my kids want to have access to the
same game program, but it won't let anyone use it unless
they are using my profile at the time.

setting permissions for users to use programs

Post by fr33 » Wed, 26 Jun 2002 22:57:51

in run type: control folders
click on the view tab and uncheck "use simple file shareing"
then go to the folder that holds the program and right click it and
select properties, then click on the security tab and add the group you
want to give access

Quote:> Can anyone tell me how or point me to instructions on how
> to set permissions for users on our family computer to
> use a program.  All my kids want to have access to the
> same game program, but it won't let anyone use it unless
> they are using my profile at the time.

setting permissions for users to use programs

Post by Kent W. England [MVP » Thu, 27 Jun 2002 00:46:59

If your game or application falls into the category where it works OK
with admin accounts, but not with limited accounts, you can fix it to
allow limited users to access the program files folder with "change"
capability rather than "read" which is the default.

C:\>cacls "Program Files\appfolder" /e /t /p users:c

If you wish to undo these changes, then run

C:\>cacls "Program Files\appfolder" /e /t /p users:r

Some Programs Do Not Work If You Log On from Limited Account (Q307091)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;;q307091
provides a list of games that fall into this category.

Of course, "appfolder" is the actual name of the folder where the game
is installed. It is not literally appfolder.

Some applications also require registry changes, so post back with a
very specific subject line like "Need help changing registry permissions
for game" and I can help you make those changes.

--
Kent W. England, MS MVP for Windows XP
(Please respond only in the newsgroup)

> Can anyone tell me how or point me to instructions on how
> to set permissions for users on our family computer to
> use a program.  All my kids want to have access to the
> same game program, but it won't let anyone use it unless
> they are using my profile at the time.

1. How to set folder's permissions to prevent users change settings or install programs?

Hi:
    Our department is going to install NT on one of our student Lab. The
question is:
How to set the folders' permissions on local disk to prevent student
change system
setting or install games and other programs? The default permissions of
folders allow
everyone to change c:\, %Systemroot%, etc. If we change them to allow
only domain users can read them, will the NT workstation still working?
Why Microsoft set the default permissions like these? Does anyone has
the same problem and how do you set them up?
Any help will greatly appreciate!

Tony

2. Windows Media Player 9

3. Using C2ntfacl.inf to automatically set file/directory permissions IN A LAB SETTING

4. Encoder, Services and Bandwidth

5. User permissions, not setting certain users

6. "Passthrough" iritation

7. Setting Permissions using Perl

8. Arrow and Escape Keys

9. setting local dir permissions using system policies

10. Using the command line to set directory security permissions

11. setting 500 users permissions. HELP

12. Q: Setting up different permissions for different users

13. Account Creation:Setting Permissions, Sharing Attribs, and User FTP Info?