Problem Upgrading RAM on a Dell Dim 4100

Problem Upgrading RAM on a Dell Dim 4100

Post by SonomaAirporte » Thu, 20 Jan 2005 06:07:03

I'm trying to upgrade my older Dell Dimension 4100 at home from 512MB ram to
1GB. The AIDA32 utility I use shows I have two DIMM slots each populated with
a 256MB PC133 non-ECC module. I purchased two 512MB PC133 non-ECC modules.
One, a Viking,  is brand new and the other, no name showing, is used. I put
the new Viking in slot 0 and the used one in slot 1.

When I booted up, AIDA32 reported correctly that both slots were populated
with 512MB modules. But it also reported that total memory was only 512MB. So
I left the new Viking in slot 0 and removed the used one. At bootup, report
indicated that slot 0 was populated and slot 1 empty. I then pulled the
Viking and inserted the used one in slot 0. When I powered up I got 3 beeps,
and bootup process stopped.

Leaving the used in slot 0, I put the new in slot 1. Got a beep at powerup,
but bootup proceeded and XP started up. System says only 512MB total memory.
Rebooted and went into BIOS setup. It shows 512MB for whichever slot the
Viking is in, but Not Intitialized for the slot used module is located. (With
just the Viking in slot 0, BIOS reports 512MB for slot 0 and Not Installed
for slot 1).

I also tried the Viking 512MB in slot 0 and one of the two 256MB modules
which I know were working in slot 1. Bootup to XP went fine, but total memory
still reports only 512MB.

The AIDA32 report on the modules are identical (PC133, non-ecc,unregistered,
etc) with one exception. The Viking module's width is 72-bit, but the used
module is 64-bit.

So, I guess my question is: Is the used stick bad, or is it incompatible
with the 4100, or is the max memory for the 4100 only 512MB?

Problem Upgrading RAM on a Dell Dim 4100

Post by LVTrave » Thu, 20 Jan 2005 06:40:22

Memory width has to be the same and the used module is incompatible with the
system but it may not be "bad."  Return to place of purchase for refund if
possible and purchase an IDENTICAL Viking stick as the second stick.

Quote:> I'm trying to upgrade my older Dell Dimension 4100 at home from 512MB ram
> 1GB. The AIDA32 utility I use shows I have two DIMM slots each populated
with
> a 256MB PC133 non-ECC module. I purchased two 512MB PC133 non-ECC modules.
> One, a Viking,  is brand new and the other, no name showing, is used. I
put
> the new Viking in slot 0 and the used one in slot 1.

> When I booted up, AIDA32 reported correctly that both slots were populated
> with 512MB modules. But it also reported that total memory was only 512MB.
So
> I left the new Viking in slot 0 and removed the used one. At bootup,
report
> indicated that slot 0 was populated and slot 1 empty. I then pulled the
> Viking and inserted the used one in slot 0. When I powered up I got 3
beeps,
> and bootup process stopped.

> Leaving the used in slot 0, I put the new in slot 1. Got a beep at
powerup,
> but bootup proceeded and XP started up. System says only 512MB total
memory.
> Rebooted and went into BIOS setup. It shows 512MB for whichever slot the
> Viking is in, but Not Intitialized for the slot used module is located.
(With
> just the Viking in slot 0, BIOS reports 512MB for slot 0 and Not Installed
> for slot 1).

> I also tried the Viking 512MB in slot 0 and one of the two 256MB modules
> which I know were working in slot 1. Bootup to XP went fine, but total
memory
> still reports only 512MB.

> The AIDA32 report on the modules are identical (PC133,

non-ecc,unregistered,

Quote:> etc) with one exception. The Viking module's width is 72-bit, but the used
> module is 64-bit.

> So, I guess my question is: Is the used stick bad, or is it incompatible
> with the 4100, or is the max memory for the 4100 only 512MB?

Problem Upgrading RAM on a Dell Dim 4100

Post by Joe » Thu, 20 Jan 2005 06:51:49

Dell Dimension 4100 can only use 512MB max. Check the
www.crucial.com website for compatible ram.

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>I'm trying to upgrade my older Dell Dimension 4100 at

home from 512MB ram to
Quote:>1GB. The AIDA32 utility I use shows I have two DIMM

slots each populated with
Quote:>a 256MB PC133 non-ECC module. I purchased two 512MB

PC133 non-ECC modules.
Quote:>One, a Viking,  is brand new and the other, no name

showing, is used. I put
Quote:>the new Viking in slot 0 and the used one in slot 1.

>When I booted up, AIDA32 reported correctly that both

slots were populated
Quote:>with 512MB modules. But it also reported that total

memory was only 512MB. So
Quote:>I left the new Viking in slot 0 and removed the used

one. At bootup, report
Quote:>indicated that slot 0 was populated and slot 1 empty. I
then pulled the
>Viking and inserted the used one in slot 0. When I

powered up I got 3 beeps,
Quote:>and bootup process stopped.

>Leaving the used in slot 0, I put the new in slot 1. Got
a beep at powerup,
>but bootup proceeded and XP started up. System says only

512MB total memory.
Quote:>Rebooted and went into BIOS setup. It shows 512MB for
whichever slot the
>Viking is in, but Not Intitialized for the slot used

module is located. (With
Quote:>just the Viking in slot 0, BIOS reports 512MB for slot 0
and Not Installed
>for slot 1).

>I also tried the Viking 512MB in slot 0 and one of the
two 256MB modules
>which I know were working in slot 1. Bootup to XP went

fine, but total memory
Quote:>still reports only 512MB.

Post by Jerr » Thu, 20 Jan 2005 08:08:31

AIDA32 is obsolete. Use Everest Home Edition from www.lavalys.com

Quote:> I'm trying to upgrade my older Dell Dimension 4100 at home from 512MB ram
> 1GB. The AIDA32 utility I use shows I have two DIMM slots each populated
> with
> a 256MB PC133 non-ECC module. I purchased two 512MB PC133 non-ECC modules.
> One, a Viking,  is brand new and the other, no name showing, is used. I
> put
> the new Viking in slot 0 and the used one in slot 1.

> When I booted up, AIDA32 reported correctly that both slots were populated
> with 512MB modules. But it also reported that total memory was only 512MB.
> So
> I left the new Viking in slot 0 and removed the used one. At bootup,
> report
> indicated that slot 0 was populated and slot 1 empty. I then pulled the
> Viking and inserted the used one in slot 0. When I powered up I got 3
> beeps,
> and bootup process stopped.

> Leaving the used in slot 0, I put the new in slot 1. Got a beep at
> powerup,
> but bootup proceeded and XP started up. System says only 512MB total
> memory.
> Rebooted and went into BIOS setup. It shows 512MB for whichever slot the
> Viking is in, but Not Intitialized for the slot used module is located.
> (With
> just the Viking in slot 0, BIOS reports 512MB for slot 0 and Not Installed
> for slot 1).

> I also tried the Viking 512MB in slot 0 and one of the two 256MB modules
> which I know were working in slot 1. Bootup to XP went fine, but total
> memory
> still reports only 512MB.

> The AIDA32 report on the modules are identical (PC133,
> non-ecc,unregistered,
> etc) with one exception. The Viking module's width is 72-bit, but the used
> module is 64-bit.

> So, I guess my question is: Is the used stick bad, or is it incompatible
> with the 4100, or is the max memory for the 4100 only 512MB?

Problem Upgrading RAM on a Dell Dim 4100

Post by Math » Thu, 20 Jan 2005 09:42:34

The 4100 has a max of 512 ie. 2 slots of 256 each.
Anne

Post by Miss Perspicacia Tic » Thu, 20 Jan 2005 12:27:00

> I'm trying to upgrade my older Dell Dimension 4100 at home from 512MB
> ram to 1GB. The AIDA32 utility I use shows I have two DIMM slots each
> populated with a 256MB PC133 non-ECC module. I purchased two 512MB
> PC133 non-ECC modules. One, a Viking,  is brand new and the other, no
> name showing, is used. I put the new Viking in slot 0 and the used
> one in slot 1.

> When I booted up, AIDA32 reported correctly that both slots were
> populated with 512MB modules. But it also reported that total memory
> was only 512MB. So I left the new Viking in slot 0 and removed the
> used one. At bootup, report indicated that slot 0 was populated and
> slot 1 empty. I then pulled the Viking and inserted the used one in
> slot 0. When I powered up I got 3 beeps, and bootup process stopped.

> Leaving the used in slot 0, I put the new in slot 1. Got a beep at
> powerup, but bootup proceeded and XP started up. System says only
> 512MB total memory. Rebooted and went into BIOS setup. It shows 512MB
> for whichever slot the Viking is in, but Not Intitialized for the
> slot used module is located. (With just the Viking in slot 0, BIOS
> reports 512MB for slot 0 and Not Installed for slot 1).

> I also tried the Viking 512MB in slot 0 and one of the two 256MB
> modules which I know were working in slot 1. Bootup to XP went fine,
> but total memory still reports only 512MB.

> The AIDA32 report on the modules are identical (PC133,
> non-ecc,unregistered, etc) with one exception. The Viking module's
> width is 72-bit, but the used module is 64-bit.

> So, I guess my question is: Is the used stick bad, or is it
> incompatible with the 4100, or is the max memory for the 4100 only
> 512MB?

You need to learn a little about your system before upgrading. When I buy
RAM for older systems, I always use Crucial because they have a tool that
will tell you what RAM they *guarantee* to work in your system - bought some
recently for an Optiplex GX150 - it worked perfectly - unfortunately, the
PSU died just two hours later and Dell wanted 400 to replace it.
Unfortunately it's a non-standard system and cannot take a standard PSU.

Anyway, back to your 'issue'. Had you decided to go with Crucial - and not
generic and a brand I've never heard of - you would have seen what your
system could take immediately. It's the same vintage as my father's
Optiplex - and has 2 slots each with a maximum capacity of 256MB (same as
the GX150).

on salads.

Post by Bruce Chamber » Thu, 20 Jan 2005 12:27:41

> I'm trying to upgrade my older Dell Dimension 4100 at home from 512MB ram to
> 1GB. The AIDA32 utility I use shows I have two DIMM slots each populated with
> a 256MB PC133 non-ECC module. I purchased two 512MB PC133 non-ECC modules.
> One, a Viking,  is brand new and the other, no name showing, is used. I put
> the new Viking in slot 0 and the used one in slot 1.

> When I booted up, AIDA32 reported correctly that both slots were populated
> with 512MB modules. But it also reported that total memory was only 512MB. So
> I left the new Viking in slot 0 and removed the used one. At bootup, report
> indicated that slot 0 was populated and slot 1 empty. I then pulled the
> Viking and inserted the used one in slot 0. When I powered up I got 3 beeps,
> and bootup process stopped.

> Leaving the used in slot 0, I put the new in slot 1. Got a beep at powerup,
> but bootup proceeded and XP started up. System says only 512MB total memory.
> Rebooted and went into BIOS setup. It shows 512MB for whichever slot the
> Viking is in, but Not Intitialized for the slot used module is located. (With
> just the Viking in slot 0, BIOS reports 512MB for slot 0 and Not Installed
> for slot 1).

> I also tried the Viking 512MB in slot 0 and one of the two 256MB modules
> which I know were working in slot 1. Bootup to XP went fine, but total memory
> still reports only 512MB.

> The AIDA32 report on the modules are identical (PC133, non-ecc,unregistered,
> etc) with one exception. The Viking module's width is 72-bit, but the used
> module is 64-bit.

> So, I guess my question is: Is the used stick bad, or is it incompatible
> with the 4100, or is the max memory for the 4100 only 512MB?

     It is absolutely essential that any new RAM module(s) be fully
compatible with both the motherboard and/or any other RAM module(s)
already in the system.  Additionally, there are sometimes jumper
switches on older motherboards that need to be reset for new RAM
configurations.  Consult your motherboard's manual or the
manufacturer's web site for specific instructions and compatibility
requirements.

     If you cannot lay your hands upon the computer's manual and the
manufacturer doesn't provide a support web site, you can use these
utilities to help determine the correct type of RAM needed:

SiSoft's Sandra
http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/index.php?dir=&location=sware_dl&lang=en

Belarc Advisor

Unlimited Possibilities' AIDA32
http://forum.aumha.org/overflow/aida32.zip

Lavalys' Everest Home
http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en

     Also, Crucial Memory's web site (www.crucial.com) has a database
to help to find the right RAM for your specific make and model
computer and/or motherboard.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: