How to install ATI Radeon drivers over XP CD Drivers?

How to install ATI Radeon drivers over XP CD Drivers?

Post by Ted Fitc » Tue, 06 Nov 2001 06:40:37

I have a Radeon 32MB DDR video card.

I have the drivers supplied with the XP CD installed right now.

I see ATI has a new XP driver on their web site that is fully supported for
games, etc.

How do I install the ATI driver?

The instructions say to make sure to uninstall any previous ATI drivers
using add/remove.  However, since I am using the "basic" XP drivers for this
card, there is no choice to ADD/REMOVE the driver...

I know in Win98 when upgrading your ATI drivers, it was advised to switch to
a basic VGA driver, reboot, and then install the ATI drivers....is this
necessary in XP?

Thanks for any advice,

Ted

How to install ATI Radeon drivers over XP CD Drivers?

Post by Rave » Tue, 06 Nov 2001 07:02:56

Just install over the XP drivers, this usually works just fine. If possible
it's better to remove any old drivers first but it's really not necessary in
this case (or possible).

I have installed at least 3 sets over the original XP drivers and I haven't
had any trouble at all. I'm using the latest release right now, the 7197
drivers.

Quote:> I have a Radeon 32MB DDR video card.

> I have the drivers supplied with the XP CD installed right now.

> I see ATI has a new XP driver on their web site that is fully supported
for
> games, etc.

> How do I install the ATI driver?

> The instructions say to make sure to uninstall any previous ATI drivers
> using add/remove.  However, since I am using the "basic" XP drivers for
this
> card, there is no choice to ADD/REMOVE the driver...

> I know in Win98 when upgrading your ATI drivers, it was advised to switch
> a basic VGA driver, reboot, and then install the ATI drivers....is this
> necessary in XP?

> Thanks for any advice,

> Ted

How to install ATI Radeon drivers over XP CD Drivers?

Post by Ted Fitc » Tue, 06 Nov 2001 07:41:31

Thanks for your help, Raven!

Ted

> Just install over the XP drivers, this usually works just fine. If
possible
> it's better to remove any old drivers first but it's really not necessary
in
> this case (or possible).

> I have installed at least 3 sets over the original XP drivers and I
haven't
> had any trouble at all. I'm using the latest release right now, the 7197
> drivers.

> > I have a Radeon 32MB DDR video card.

> > I have the drivers supplied with the XP CD installed right now.

> > I see ATI has a new XP driver on their web site that is fully supported
> for
> > games, etc.

> > How do I install the ATI driver?

> > The instructions say to make sure to uninstall any previous ATI drivers
> > using add/remove.  However, since I am using the "basic" XP drivers for
> this
> > card, there is no choice to ADD/REMOVE the driver...

> > I know in Win98 when upgrading your ATI drivers, it was advised to
switch
> > a basic VGA driver, reboot, and then install the ATI drivers....is this
> > necessary in XP?

> > Thanks for any advice,

> > Ted

How to install ATI Radeon drivers over XP CD Drivers?

Post by Rave » Tue, 06 Nov 2001 08:04:31

You're welcome

> Thanks for your help, Raven!

> Ted

> > Just install over the XP drivers, this usually works just fine. If
> possible
> > it's better to remove any old drivers first but it's really not
necessary
> in
> > this case (or possible).

> > I have installed at least 3 sets over the original XP drivers and I
> haven't
> > had any trouble at all. I'm using the latest release right now, the 7197
> > drivers.

> > > I have a Radeon 32MB DDR video card.

> > > I have the drivers supplied with the XP CD installed right now.

> > > I see ATI has a new XP driver on their web site that is fully
supported
> > for
> > > games, etc.

> > > How do I install the ATI driver?

> > > The instructions say to make sure to uninstall any previous ATI
drivers
> > > using add/remove.  However, since I am using the "basic" XP drivers
for
> > this
> > > card, there is no choice to ADD/REMOVE the driver...

> > > I know in Win98 when upgrading your ATI drivers, it was advised to
> switch
> > > a basic VGA driver, reboot, and then install the ATI drivers....is
this
> > > necessary in XP?

> > > Thanks for any advice,

> > > Ted

How to install ATI Radeon drivers over XP CD Drivers?

Post by Isha » Tue, 06 Nov 2001 12:09:39

Raven
You wrote "I'm using the latest release right now, the 7197 drivers."

Where i can find 7197 drivers for radeon ?

br

> Just install over the XP drivers, this usually works just fine. If
possible
> it's better to remove any old drivers first but it's really not necessary
in
> this case (or possible).

> I have installed at least 3 sets over the original XP drivers and I
haven't
> had any trouble at all. I'm using the latest release right now, the 7197
> drivers.

> > I have a Radeon 32MB DDR video card.

> > I have the drivers supplied with the XP CD installed right now.

> > I see ATI has a new XP driver on their web site that is fully supported
> for
> > games, etc.

> > How do I install the ATI driver?

> > The instructions say to make sure to uninstall any previous ATI drivers
> > using add/remove.  However, since I am using the "basic" XP drivers for
> this
> > card, there is no choice to ADD/REMOVE the driver...

> > I know in Win98 when upgrading your ATI drivers, it was advised to
switch
> > a basic VGA driver, reboot, and then install the ATI drivers....is this
> > necessary in XP?

> > Thanks for any advice,

> > Ted

How to install ATI Radeon drivers over XP CD Drivers?

Post by Rave » Tue, 06 Nov 2001 12:42:18

I made a mistake back there; the 7197 drivers are for Windows 98/ME. The
latest XP drivers are version 3281. These are unofficial releases, but they
work very well on my system. You can download them here:

http://www.maxreboot.com/download.php?op=viewsdownload&sid=23