Windows 98 SE reinstall as 2nd OS on XP NTFS system..?

Windows 98 SE reinstall as 2nd OS on XP NTFS system..?

Post by James » Mon, 07 Oct 2002 18:20:14

Within the last week I have upgraded from Windows 98SE to XP using a clean
install of XP.
After a few days of searching the net I managed to find XP drivers for all
my hardware except for my TV card (Gallant (Minton) IV-560).

hardware (on microsoft.public.windowsxp.general and
microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support) it has now been suggested that
i use a program called BtSpy (http://btwincap.sourceforge.net/custom.html)
whilst my TV card is installed and running properly under a Win98SE system,
in order to create a profile for my hardware that i can then use to set the
custom drivers up under XP.

Since I don't know anyone who is still running a Win98 OS on their desktop,
I'm posting this message to ask whether it is possible for me to temporarily
reinstall Windows 98SE as the second OS (in order to dual-boot) on my XP
based system, which is formatted to NTFS?

Once I have created this driver profile, using the software above, I will
want to completely remove the Windows98 OS - is this possible? What are the
chances of an operation such as this screwing up my otherwise stable and
reliable XP system?

Any help greatly appreciated. Many thanks,

James

Windows 98 SE reinstall as 2nd OS on XP NTFS system..?

Post by QuarkBom » Mon, 07 Oct 2002 18:33:13

No it is not.  Windows 98 does not recognise NTFS and will therefore not
load.

You could however, resize the NTFS partition, create a FAT or FAT32
partition, and install Windows 98 there.
I don't know if you can install 98 AFTER XP however.

The latest version of PartitionMagic can handle NTFS 5.1 partitions tables,
as well as a whole load of stuff I've never heard of!

:
[...]

Post by Nutcas » Mon, 07 Oct 2002 20:38:00

Hi James,

As noted before, you would need to resize the existing NTFS partition (using third-party tools), then create a FAT/FAT32 partition for Win98.

However, unless you are using a third-party boot manager, you will also need to rearrange the boot loader for the system. The boot loader would also have to be installed to the FAT32 partition as well. Win98 cannot boot from a NTFS partition. This means doing a major amount of work to your existing WinXP system.

If you find it absolutely necessary to do this, then go third-party and save yourself a lot of work. BootIT NG can handle everything you want to do, and is only about $30 US to register.

www.terabyteunlimited.com

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers aka "Nutcase" MS-MVP - Win9x
Associate Expert - Windows XP
Please reply only to newsgroup...

> Within the last week I have upgraded from Windows 98SE to XP using a clean
> install of XP.
> After a few days of searching the net I managed to find XP drivers for all
> my hardware except for my TV card (Gallant (Minton) IV-560).

> hardware (on microsoft.public.windowsxp.general and
> microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support) it has now been suggested that
> i use a program called BtSpy (http://btwincap.sourceforge.net/custom.html)
> whilst my TV card is installed and running properly under a Win98SE system,
> in order to create a profile for my hardware that i can then use to set the
> custom drivers up under XP.

> Since I don't know anyone who is still running a Win98 OS on their desktop,
> I'm posting this message to ask whether it is possible for me to temporarily
> reinstall Windows 98SE as the second OS (in order to dual-boot) on my XP
> based system, which is formatted to NTFS?

> Once I have created this driver profile, using the software above, I will
> want to completely remove the Windows98 OS - is this possible? What are the
> chances of an operation such as this screwing up my otherwise stable and
> reliable XP system?

> Any help greatly appreciated. Many thanks,

> James

Windows 98 SE reinstall as 2nd OS on XP NTFS system..?

Post by George Hamilto » Mon, 07 Oct 2002 23:35:18

An easier option would be to:

1. Re-Partition your HD, using FDISK in DOS (Boot from floppy/CD, not HD).
Have one big partiton, and one small one.
2. Format the smaller partition as FAT
3. Install Win98
4. Install WinXP -  It will allow you to format the 2nd partition as NTFS
during setup.

You should now have a boot loader, with the option of booting to 98 or XP.
The only trouble with this setup is that you are stuck with Win98, but you
can kill the boot loader, and you have to install XP again. I had a similar
problem with a scanner, and this is exactly what I did.

Good luck

George

Quote:> Within the last week I have upgraded from Windows 98SE to XP using a clean
> install of XP.
> After a few days of searching the net I managed to find XP drivers for all
> my hardware except for my TV card (Gallant (Minton) IV-560).

> hardware (on microsoft.public.windowsxp.general and
> microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support) it has now been suggested
that
> i use a program called BtSpy (http://btwincap.sourceforge.net/custom.html)
> whilst my TV card is installed and running properly under a Win98SE
system,
> in order to create a profile for my hardware that i can then use to set
the
> custom drivers up under XP.

> Since I don't know anyone who is still running a Win98 OS on their
desktop,
> I'm posting this message to ask whether it is possible for me to
temporarily
> reinstall Windows 98SE as the second OS (in order to dual-boot) on my XP
> based system, which is formatted to NTFS?

> Once I have created this driver profile, using the software above, I will
> want to completely remove the Windows98 OS - is this possible? What are
the
> chances of an operation such as this screwing up my otherwise stable and
> reliable XP system?

> Any help greatly appreciated. Many thanks,

> James

1. Windows XP, Windows 98 SE, Windows 98 Network Oddball Behavior

I've got the following config: 3 computers with xp, 98se, 98 as OS.  All
connected to hardward router for dsl sharing.  That works fine.  98SE and 98
machine show all 3 computers in network neighborhood, file and print sharing
work fine.
XP machine shows only 98SE machine in network places.
Trying to add 98 machine gives error message; not accessible, contact
adminstrator, network connection not found etc.

I had to install netbui on the xp machine for it to show up on the 98
machine.  The xp and 98SE machines networked fine with just tcp/ip.  I have
internet connection firewall on the xp machine disabled.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. support for VC++, VB 4.0 & Win95 UI

3. Windows Media Player 7 won't 'reinstall' over Windows 98 SE reinstallation

4. jflash on SA1110 platform?!!

5. installing 2nd OS (win 98 2nd ed)

6. WHAT does this mean??

7. Multiple boot system using Windows XP and 98 SE

8. Help Page

9. if I upgrade windows 98 SE to XP will it free up system resources?

10. 2nd CFV: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.security

11. install 2nd os win 98/xp

12. Intalling Windows XP, how do I get rid of Windows 98 SE?

13. Dual Operating System , Win 98 SE and XP Pro