XP Upgrade

Post by Michael W. Chancellor M » Tue, 15 Jan 2002 09:39:27

Ahh, I see.  I wonder why Microsoft didn't include this in its firewall.
So, get 3rd part firewall, and turn off xp's firewall to avoid duplication
and unncessary system slowing overhead.

Mike

Michael

No. You need the outgoing security since some legitimate software can be
fairly insidious with components that automatically call home for product
update checks or other reasons. There is also a proliferation of legitimate
software that has the ability to track your online habits. Only a firewall
with outgoing protection will catch these.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP MPS-D

Associate expert

> Thanks Ronnie.  Now, my next question is, from a security and speed
> standpoint am I better off with ZA + Antivirus with integrated firewall
off
> Versus  NO Zone Alarm, using integrated firewall and antivirus to
intercept
> the nasties, thus alleviating the need to block redirects or outgoings?

> Mike

> Mike

> My point was that if ZA is installed, you do not need the integrated
> firewall which would simply create more overhead for the system. The
> anti-virus is for detecting nasties coming onto the system through a path
> that you have intentionally opened. :)

> --

> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP MPS-D

> Associate expert

> > Except that doesn't the XP firewall only block INCOMING and ZA blocks
> > outgoing, redirects as well as incoming, or can I assume my antivirus
> > alleviates the need for the other worries?

> > Mike

> > Michael

> > The XP Firewall just duplicates what ZA is already doing. I would leave
it
> > set to off.

> > --

> > Ronnie Vernon
> > Microsoft MVP MPS-D

> > Associate expert
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

> > > Excellent post and good reference in you link.  If you use ZoneAlarm
> > > firewall, should you turn on or off the Firewall setting in you new XP
> > > install?

> > > Mike

> install
> > > of