XP Upgrade

Post by Stephen O'Connel » Mon, 19 Nov 2001 06:37:11

I was in a shop earlier today, as I was going to buy the Windows XP
(Home) Upgrade version. But the shop assistant said this version would
not be okay for my system as I had Window ME pre-installed by Gateway on
my system, and I couldn't upgrade from a Gateway ME back-up disk. He
then tried to sell me the full version of XP (Home) which was twice the
price of the upgrade version. I refused. I said I'd stick with ME if
that was the case!

Please can somebody clarify this situation for me. -  My version of Windows
ME was pre-installed on my PC by Gateway when bought. The Disk that
comes with the system says "Operating System Backup CD - Version 'ME'. "
It also says the disk may only be used for "backup and recovery of your
Gateway computer system." (Copyright Gateway Inc etc...)

Does anyone know if I can upgrade my O/S from Windows ME to XP using the
Home upgrade version, - Yes/No? Windows XP looks good, but if I can't
use the upgrade version, I won't bother.

Thanks in advance for any help on this matter.

XP Upgrade

Post by Bruce Chamber » Mon, 19 Nov 2001 06:53:34

Greetings --

    If WinMe is currently installed, then, yes, you can use the WinXP Home
Upgrade.  What you most likely won't be able to do is perform a clean
installation (considered by many, including myself, to be the best course of
action) using the Upgrade version because it won't be able to recognize the
Gateway Recovery CD as a valid Windows installation medium.

HTH&GL,

Bruce Chambers
--------------------------
Of all the strange "crimes" that human beings have legislated out of
nothing, "blasphemy" is the most amazing -- with "obscenity" and "indecent
exposure" fighting it out for second and third place.   - RAH

:
: Please can somebody clarify this situation for me. -  My version of
Windows
: ME was pre-installed on my PC by Gateway when bought. The Disk that
: comes with the system says "Operating System Backup CD - Version 'ME'. "
: It also says the disk may only be used for "backup and recovery of your
: Gateway computer system." (Copyright Gateway Inc etc...)
:
: Does anyone know if I can upgrade my O/S from Windows ME to XP using the
: Home upgrade version, - Yes/No? Windows XP looks good, but if I can't
: use the upgrade version, I won't bother.
:
: Thanks in advance for any help on this matter.
:
:

XP Upgrade

Post by dos promp » Mon, 19 Nov 2001 06:50:36

yes you can upgrade
but check to see that all your harware and software is compatible
most ppl are haveing problems with cd writers
you cannont use ezcd 4.x they make you buy the newer version that costs as
much as the xp upgrade
but nero works great
 fyi

Quote:> I was in a shop earlier today, as I was going to buy the Windows XP
> (Home) Upgrade version. But the shop assistant said this version would
> not be okay for my system as I had Window ME pre-installed by Gateway on
> my system, and I couldn't upgrade from a Gateway ME back-up disk. He
> then tried to sell me the full version of XP (Home) which was twice the
> price of the upgrade version. I refused. I said I'd stick with ME if
> that was the case!

> Please can somebody clarify this situation for me. -  My version of
Windows
> ME was pre-installed on my PC by Gateway when bought. The Disk that
> comes with the system says "Operating System Backup CD - Version 'ME'. "
> It also says the disk may only be used for "backup and recovery of your
> Gateway computer system." (Copyright Gateway Inc etc...)

> Does anyone know if I can upgrade my O/S from Windows ME to XP using the
> Home upgrade version, - Yes/No? Windows XP looks good, but if I can't
> use the upgrade version, I won't bother.

> Thanks in advance for any help on this matter.

XP Upgrade

Post by Daniel Yate » Tue, 20 Nov 2001 08:06:39

Yes you can do a full install of home edition with the CD that you have. The
system will scan you ME disk for verification and say it could not find the
file and then ask youif you can point to it, all you have to do is browse he
CD and look for the necassary file and then you will be off. I did this with
a Tiny recovery CD and it worked fine.

regards

Daniel Yates

Quote:> I was in a shop earlier today, as I was going to buy the Windows XP
> (Home) Upgrade version. But the shop assistant said this version would
> not be okay for my system as I had Window ME pre-installed by Gateway on
> my system, and I couldn't upgrade from a Gateway ME back-up disk. He
> then tried to sell me the full version of XP (Home) which was twice the
> price of the upgrade version. I refused. I said I'd stick with ME if
> that was the case!

> Please can somebody clarify this situation for me. -  My version of
Windows
> ME was pre-installed on my PC by Gateway when bought. The Disk that
> comes with the system says "Operating System Backup CD - Version 'ME'. "
> It also says the disk may only be used for "backup and recovery of your
> Gateway computer system." (Copyright Gateway Inc etc...)

> Does anyone know if I can upgrade my O/S from Windows ME to XP using the
> Home upgrade version, - Yes/No? Windows XP looks good, but if I can't
> use the upgrade version, I won't bother.

> Thanks in advance for any help on this matter.

XP Upgrade

Post by Newta » Mon, 19 Nov 2001 16:45:54

My UPGRADE XP PRO had no option to browse.
I tried an experiment with 3 different OEM CDs I had available.  The first
is Gateway OEM Windows 2000 PRO, the second is Dell OEM Windows 98SE, the
3rd is Gateway OEM Windows 98SE.
The first 2 worked as qualifying media to a Dell L1000R and upgraded OK, The
3rd would not work at all.

> Yes you can do a full install of home edition with the CD that you have.
The
> system will scan you ME disk for verification and say it could not find
the
> file and then ask youif you can point to it, all you have to do is browse
he
> CD and look for the necassary file and then you will be off. I did this
with
> a Tiny recovery CD and it worked fine.

> regards

> Daniel Yates

> > I was in a shop earlier today, as I was going to buy the Windows XP
> > (Home) Upgrade version. But the shop assistant said this version would
> > not be okay for my system as I had Window ME pre-installed by Gateway on
> > my system, and I couldn't upgrade from a Gateway ME back-up disk. He
> > then tried to sell me the full version of XP (Home) which was twice the
> > price of the upgrade version. I refused. I said I'd stick with ME if
> > that was the case!

> > Please can somebody clarify this situation for me. -  My version of
> Windows
> > ME was pre-installed on my PC by Gateway when bought. The Disk that
> > comes with the system says "Operating System Backup CD - Version 'ME'. "
> > It also says the disk may only be used for "backup and recovery of your
> > Gateway computer system." (Copyright Gateway Inc etc...)

> > Does anyone know if I can upgrade my O/S from Windows ME to XP using the
> > Home upgrade version, - Yes/No? Windows XP looks good, but if I can't
> > use the upgrade version, I won't bother.

> > Thanks in advance for any help on this matter.

XP Upgrade

Post by Gary Woodruf » Tue, 20 Nov 2001 08:24:12

He was dead wrong.  Yes you can Upgrade your present Gateway OEM install of
Millennium to XP assuming your hardware etc. match up.

What he may have been confusing is that you may, or may not, be able to do a
traditional clean install using your OEM Restore CD as qualifying media.  In other
words if you format your disk to do a clean install instead of an Upgrade and boot
from the XP CD and put in your Millennium Restore disk when asked to do so.  If the
CABS are not visible to XP it will not accept the Restore CD as qualifying media.
Some Gateway Restore CD's will work, and some are image restoration types that will
not work.  Worst case here is you can buy your XP Upgrade directly from Gateway and
you are sure it will work.

You may also be able to take advantage of a new feature of XP.  There is a method
that has been widely reported and verified by others that may work for you.   If you
start an Upgrade or Reinstall from within your present install at one point you will
be asked if you want to clean install.  Answer yes and XP will remember that you
started from a qualified install and will not ask for qualifying media.  If this does
not work you can just wipe and do a Millennium install from the Recovery disk and
then immediately Upgrade.  Since XP replaces nearly all the code this will provide
essentially the same install as any normal clean install.  So in several ways the
shop assistant needs to study up on Upgrading to XP.  I have put together information
on Upgrade issues as well as house keeping tips to get your old install ready to
Upgrade to XP and you can take a look at it here.

"Suggestions for Preparing to Install Windows XP as an Upgrade"
www.aumha.org/a/xpupgrad.htm
--
Gary Woodruff
MS MVP-DTS (Win XP)

"That'll be the day" - John Wayne in The Searchers

Quote:> I was in a shop earlier today, as I was going to buy the Windows XP
> (Home) Upgrade version. But the shop assistant said this version would
> not be okay for my system as I had Window ME pre-installed by Gateway on
> my system, and I couldn't upgrade from a Gateway ME back-up disk. He
> then tried to sell me the full version of XP (Home) which was twice the
> price of the upgrade version. I refused. I said I'd stick with ME if
> that was the case!

> Please can somebody clarify this situation for me. -  My version of Windows
> ME was pre-installed on my PC by Gateway when bought. The Disk that
> comes with the system says "Operating System Backup CD - Version 'ME'. "
> It also says the disk may only be used for "backup and recovery of your
> Gateway computer system." (Copyright Gateway Inc etc...)

> Does anyone know if I can upgrade my O/S from Windows ME to XP using the
> Home upgrade version, - Yes/No? Windows XP looks good, but if I can't
> use the upgrade version, I won't bother.

> Thanks in advance for any help on this matter.

XP Upgrade

Post by Dion & Belinda Scot » Tue, 20 Nov 2001 18:44:23

Stephen - go the windows XP web site.  It will do a test on your PC and tell
you straight out what you need to do (if anything) to upgrade.

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't upgrade without a problem but, with
MS and Gateway, you just never know.  Best to check before spending the
money.

Belinda

Quote:> I was in a shop earlier today, as I was going to buy the Windows XP
> (Home) Upgrade version. But the shop assistant said this version would
> not be okay for my system as I had Window ME pre-installed by Gateway on
> my system, and I couldn't upgrade from a Gateway ME back-up disk. He
> then tried to sell me the full version of XP (Home) which was twice the
> price of the upgrade version. I refused. I said I'd stick with ME if
> that was the case!

> Please can somebody clarify this situation for me. -  My version of
Windows
> ME was pre-installed on my PC by Gateway when bought. The Disk that
> comes with the system says "Operating System Backup CD - Version 'ME'. "
> It also says the disk may only be used for "backup and recovery of your
> Gateway computer system." (Copyright Gateway Inc etc...)

> Does anyone know if I can upgrade my O/S from Windows ME to XP using the
> Home upgrade version, - Yes/No? Windows XP looks good, but if I can't
> use the upgrade version, I won't bother.

> Thanks in advance for any help on this matter.

XP Upgrade

Post by Bruce Deroue » Wed, 21 Nov 2001 11:58:35

Gary is 100% right here.  I strongly suggest you follow his instructions
here on how to do a clean install from within ME.  i'm also told it works
very nicely.

--
Bruce Derouen

> [...]

> > my system, and I couldn't upgrade from a Gateway ME back-up disk. He
> > then tried to sell me the full version of XP (Home) which was twice the
> > price of the upgrade version. I refused. I said I'd stick with ME if
> > that was the case!

> > Please can somebody clarify this situation for me. -  My version of
Windows
> > ME was pre-installed on my PC by Gateway when bought. The Disk that
> > comes with the system says "Operating System Backup CD - Version 'ME'. "
> > It also says the disk may only be used for "backup and recovery of your
> > Gateway computer system." (Copyright Gateway Inc etc...)

> > Does anyone know if I can upgrade my O/S from Windows ME to XP using the
> > Home upgrade version, - Yes/No? Windows XP looks good, but if I can't
> > use the upgrade version, I won't bother.

> > Thanks in advance for any help on this matter.

Post by Stephen O'Connel » Wed, 21 Nov 2001 23:27:49

Thanks to all the people who replied to my original post. It seems the
general consensus is that the shop assistant is wrong.

Incidentally, I've just done an upgrade test using a free Windows XP
demo disc given away with a PC mag. Only one software item is actually
incompatible with XP and must be removed: Norton's Anti-Virus 2001.
While another three would have to be reinstalled: Direct CD 3 and Easy
CD creator 4, plus Age of Empires 2. It went on to say I had a "DVD
movie player or decoder that may be incompatible". (No confirmation
one way or another.) But everything else seemed to be fine.

So providing my CD creating software and DVD player will work after
upgrading. I will go for it. No doubt any further problems will be
posted here, once I upgrade. (I hope it goes okay!)

> Stephen - go the windows XP web site.  It will do a test on your PC
and tell
> you straight out what you need to do (if anything) to upgrade.

> I don't see any reason why it wouldn't upgrade without a problem
but, with
> MS and Gateway, you just never know.  Best to check before spending
the
> money.

> Belinda

message

> > I was in a shop earlier today, as I was going to buy the Windows
XP
> > (Home) Upgrade version. But the shop assistant said this version
would
> > not be okay for my system as I had Window ME pre-installed by
Gateway on
> > my system, and I couldn't upgrade from a Gateway ME back-up disk.
He
> > then tried to sell me the full version of XP (Home) which was
twice the
> > price of the upgrade version. I refused. I said I'd stick with ME
if
> > that was the case!

> > Please can somebody clarify this situation for me. -  My version
of
> Windows
> > ME was pre-installed on my PC by Gateway when bought. The Disk
that
> > comes with the system says "Operating System Backup CD - Version
'ME'. "
> > It also says the disk may only be used for "backup and recovery of
your
> > Gateway computer system." (Copyright Gateway Inc etc...)

> > Does anyone know if I can upgrade my O/S from Windows ME to XP
using the
> > Home upgrade version, - Yes/No? Windows XP looks good, but if I
can't
> > use the upgrade version, I won't bother.

> > Thanks in advance for any help on this matter.

XP Upgrade

Post by Michael W. Chancellor M » Mon, 14 Jan 2002 01:07:52

Excellent post and good reference in you link.  If you use ZoneAlarm
firewall, should you turn on or off the Firewall setting in you new XP
install?

Mike

> [...]

> > my system, and I couldn't upgrade from a Gateway ME back-up disk. He
> > then tried to sell me the full version of XP (Home) which was twice the
> > price of the upgrade version. I refused. I said I'd stick with ME if
> > that was the case!

> > Please can somebody clarify this situation for me. -  My version of
Windows
> > ME was pre-installed on my PC by Gateway when bought. The Disk that
> > comes with the system says "Operating System Backup CD - Version 'ME'. "
> > It also says the disk may only be used for "backup and recovery of your
> > Gateway computer system." (Copyright Gateway Inc etc...)

> > Does anyone know if I can upgrade my O/S from Windows ME to XP using the
> > Home upgrade version, - Yes/No? Windows XP looks good, but if I can't
> > use the upgrade version, I won't bother.

> > Thanks in advance for any help on this matter.

Post by Ronnie Vernon MV » Mon, 14 Jan 2002 14:08:48

Michael

The XP Firewall just duplicates what ZA is already doing. I would leave it set to off.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP MPS-D

Associate expert

> [...]

> > > my system, and I couldn't upgrade from a Gateway ME back-up disk. He
> > > then tried to sell me the full version of XP (Home) which was twice the
> > > price of the upgrade version. I refused. I said I'd stick with ME if
> > > that was the case!

> > > Please can somebody clarify this situation for me. -  My version of
> Windows
> > > ME was pre-installed on my PC by Gateway when bought. The Disk that
> > > comes with the system says "Operating System Backup CD - Version 'ME'. "
> > > It also says the disk may only be used for "backup and recovery of your
> > > Gateway computer system." (Copyright Gateway Inc etc...)

> > > Does anyone know if I can upgrade my O/S from Windows ME to XP using the
> > > Home upgrade version, - Yes/No? Windows XP looks good, but if I can't
> > > use the upgrade version, I won't bother.

> > > Thanks in advance for any help on this matter.

Post by Michael W. Chancellor M » Mon, 14 Jan 2002 23:49:06

Except that doesn't the XP firewall only block INCOMING and ZA blocks
outgoing, redirects as well as incoming, or can I assume my antivirus
alleviates the need for the other worries?

Mike

"
> > > It also says the disk may only be used for "backup and recovery of
your
> > > Gateway computer system." (Copyright Gateway Inc etc...)

> > > Does anyone know if I can upgrade my O/S from Windows ME to XP using
the
> > > Home upgrade version, - Yes/No? Windows XP looks good, but if I can't
> > > use the upgrade version, I won't bother.

> > > Thanks in advance for any help on this matter.

XP Upgrade

Post by Ronnie Vernon MV » Tue, 15 Jan 2002 00:46:52

Mike

My point was that if ZA is installed, you do not need the integrated firewall which would simply create more overhead for the system. The anti-virus is for detecting nasties coming onto the system through a path that you have intentionally opened. :)

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP MPS-D

Associate expert

> [...]

> will
> > provide
> > > essentially the same install as any normal clean install.  So in several
> > ways the
> > > shop assistant needs to study up on Upgrading to XP.  I have put
> together
> > information
> > > on Upgrade issues as well as house keeping tips to get your old install
> > ready to
> > > Upgrade to XP and you can take a look at it here.

> > > "Suggestions for Preparing to Install Windows XP as an Upgrade"
> > > www.aumha.org/a/xpupgrad.htm
> > > --
> > > Gary Woodruff
> > > MS MVP-DTS (Win XP)
> > > Associate Expert
> > > Check out the Expert Zone - www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

> > > "That'll be the day" - John Wayne in The Searchers

Post by Michael W. Chancellor M » Tue, 15 Jan 2002 05:44:22

Thanks Ronnie.  Now, my next question is, from a security and speed
standpoint am I better off with ZA + Antivirus with integrated firewall off
Versus  NO Zone Alarm, using integrated firewall and antivirus to intercept
the nasties, thus alleviating the need to block redirects or outgoings?

Mike

> [...]

> > provide
> > > essentially the same install as any normal clean install.  So in
several
> > ways the
> > > shop assistant needs to study up on Upgrading to XP.  I have put
> together
> > information
> > > on Upgrade issues as well as house keeping tips to get your old
install
> > ready to
> > > Upgrade to XP and you can take a look at it here.

> > > "Suggestions for Preparing to Install Windows XP as an Upgrade"
> > > www.aumha.org/a/xpupgrad.htm
> > > --
> > > Gary Woodruff
> > > MS MVP-DTS (Win XP)
> > > Associate Expert
> > > Check out the Expert Zone - www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

> > > "That'll be the day" - John Wayne in The Searchers

Post by Ronnie Vernon MV » Tue, 15 Jan 2002 07:06:03

Michael

No. You need the outgoing security since some legitimate software can be fairly insidious with components that automatically call home for product update checks or other reasons. There is also a proliferation of legitimate software that has the ability to track your online habits. Only a firewall with outgoing protection will catch these.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP MPS-D

Associate expert