loss of drive letters for DVD and CD ROM Drives

loss of drive letters for DVD and CD ROM Drives

Post by Nurm » Tue, 11 Mar 2003 09:32:58

My OS is Win XP Home Ed.
Recently Norton System Works 3 ran into trouble.
While following Norton's guide to restore AntiVirus Progr
I lost my Hitachi
DVD ROM GD 7500 and Mitsumi CR - 48x5TE Drive Letters.

Windows cannot find the drive. Windows is unable to
restore to an earlier
date.
When I insert the Set-up CD which came with the computer.
The ROM drive
acknowledges its present but Windows does not because I
up-dated from
Windows ME to XP and changed to NTFS.

Is there anyone who can make sense  out of this and
help?  Thanks for any
suggestions no mater how far out.

Nurmi

loss of drive letters for DVD and CD ROM Drives

Post by Doug Knox MS-MV » Tue, 11 Mar 2003 10:03:34

See www.dougknox.com, Win XP Fixes, Restore CD/DVD Drives to Explorer.  This
fix is designed to correct problems caused by CD burning software, but may
address your issue as well.

--
Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows XP/ Windows Smart Display
Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes

Quote:> My OS is Win XP Home Ed.
> Recently Norton System Works 3 ran into trouble.
> While following Norton's guide to restore AntiVirus Progr
> I lost my Hitachi
> DVD ROM GD 7500 and Mitsumi CR - 48x5TE Drive Letters.

> Windows cannot find the drive. Windows is unable to
> restore to an earlier
> date.
> When I insert the Set-up CD which came with the computer.
> The ROM drive
> acknowledges its present but Windows does not because I
> up-dated from
> Windows ME to XP and changed to NTFS.

> Is there anyone who can make sense  out of this and
> help?  Thanks for any
> suggestions no mater how far out.

> Nurmi

1. CD-ROM and DVD-ROM drives do not recognize CD-ROMs and DVD-Roms

Since approx. 1 week I have an extremely irritating
problem with my 2 CD-ROM drives and my DVD-ROM drive
(under Windows XP Professional), although I did not
(myself) change anything on my PC HW or SW installation.

My drives suddenly recognize (official as well as own-
written) data CD-ROMs and (official) DVD-ROMs only once
and only after they have first read an official audio-CD.

When I unload and load the drives with the same data CD-
ROM or DVD-ROM (that were perfectly accessible before the
unload), they either do not detect the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM
at all, or they recognize them as empty.

When I load an official audio-CD (which is always
correctly recognized and accessible without any problem),
unload it again and replace it with the earlier data CD-
ROM or DVD-ROM, the data CD-ROM is again recognized and
accessible (until the next unload). A DVD-ROM on the
other hand causes my PC to reboot, after which it is also
recognized and accessible (until the next unload).

Can this be due to a recent Windows XP Security update (I
have Windows Update set on automatic) or one or other
security setting in Windows XP that I may accidentally
have set?
Can I undo this?

Michel

2. Problem after converting file system to NTFS

3. cd drive f (DVD/CD-ROM) and cd drive e (CD-RW)

4. good terminal program for telnet wanted

5. Assigned Drive Letters for CD-ROM and CD-R/RW Drives Won't Stick

6. Custom size paper size for printers

7. DVD-ROM Drive appears as CD-ROM Drive in My Computer

8. Sound ok but CD music isn't.

9. DVD-ROM Drive Forgets Its Drive Letter Allocation

10. CD ROM CD-ROM DRIVE LETTER

11. DVD-ROM stopped working on Vaio CD-RW/DVD ROM Drive

12. "mounted" dvd and cd-rom drives on wrong letters

13. CD-ROM drive..changing drive letter