Missing Taskbar Icons

Post by Lyle Gile » Sat, 03 May 2003 05:23:11

Intermittently some of my startup icons don't appear. The programs they are
associated with are ok it's just the icons associated with them do not
always show. It doesn't interfere with anything but is annoying. Is there a
refresh command that can be used to bring them back?
--

Missing Taskbar Icons

Post by Wesle » Sat, 03 May 2003 05:44:55

check to see if they are set to start up by using msconfig
start>run and type msconfig and click the tab startup
--But heck what do I know, I'm only 14--
Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Intermittently some of my startup icons don't appear.

The programs they are
Quote:>associated with are ok it's just the icons associated
with them do not
>always show. It doesn't interfere with anything but is

annoying. Is there a
>refresh command that can be used to bring them back?
>--

>.

Missing Taskbar Icons

Post by The Reverend X » Sat, 03 May 2003 06:58:21

You probably mean the system tray. That is the area
immediately to the left of your clock in the lower right
corner. To the left of that is the task bar and that is
where your open windows or files will display. Check to
see that you have not enabled the "hide inactive icons"
option. Right click on your task bar and then click
properties and on the first tab down the bottom you will
see this option. Uncheck it to have all icons show at all
times. Good luck.

Missing Taskbar Icons

Post by GSV Three Minds in a Ca » Sat, 03 May 2003 12:50:29

Quote:>Intermittently some of my startup icons don't appear. The programs they are
>associated with are ok it's just the icons associated with them do not
>always show. It doesn't interfere with anything but is annoying. Is there a
>refresh command that can be used to bring them back?

There are numerous problems with the WinXP systray ('notification
area'), and lots of 'works sometimes' fixes are around - try

Troubleshooting the Notification Area

Top 10 Frequently Asked Questions and Answers

but be aware that sometimes =nothing= seems to solve the problem(s).

--
GSV   Three Minds in a Can

Missing Taskbar Icons

Post by Lyle Gile » Tue, 06 May 2003 14:16:33

Thanks for that I am now working thru' suggestions on that web page.
--

> >Intermittently some of my startup icons don't appear. The programs they
are
> >associated with are ok it's just the icons associated with them do not
> >always show. It doesn't interfere with anything but is annoying. Is there
> >refresh command that can be used to bring them back?

> There are numerous problems with the WinXP systray ('notification
> area'), and lots of 'works sometimes' fixes are around - try

> Troubleshooting the Notification Area

> Top 10 Frequently Asked Questions and Answers
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/top10faqs.htm

> but be aware that sometimes =nothing= seems to solve the problem(s).

> --
> GSV   Three Minds in a Can
> Outgoing Msgs are Turing Tested,and indistinguishable from human typing.

Missing Taskbar Icons

Post by Ro » Wed, 28 May 2003 12:18:41

I have just started getting this problem as well. The strange thing is
that until this weekend it never happened at all .... then I converted
my drive from Fat32 to NTFS and now the PC takes longer to boot up and
when it does, sometimes I only get a couple of the notification icons
appear. I wonder if it is a timing problem.

> Thanks for that I am now working thru' suggestions on that web page.
> --

> > >Intermittently some of my startup icons don't appear. The programs they
>  are
> > >associated with are ok it's just the icons associated with them do not
> > >always show. It doesn't interfere with anything but is annoying. Is there
> > >refresh command that can be used to bring them back?

> > There are numerous problems with the WinXP systray ('notification
> > area'), and lots of 'works sometimes' fixes are around - try

> > Troubleshooting the Notification Area

> > Top 10 Frequently Asked Questions and Answers
> > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/top10faqs.htm

> > but be aware that sometimes =nothing= seems to solve the problem(s).

> > --
> > GSV   Three Minds in a Can
> > Outgoing Msgs are Turing Tested,and indistinguishable from human typing.

Missing Taskbar Icons

Post by GSV Three Minds in a Ca » Wed, 28 May 2003 13:10:18

Quote:>I have just started getting this problem as well. The strange thing is
>that until this weekend it never happened at all .... then I converted
>my drive from Fat32 to NTFS and now the PC takes longer to boot up and
>when it does, sometimes I only get a couple of the notification icons
>appear. I wonder if it is a timing problem.

It's random enough that it could be .. and some of the 'fixes' which
actually work are truly weird .. turning off the uPnP service (!?!) for
instance. One that often works for me is the 'run desktop as separate
explorer process'
(so you have two explorer processes) .. dunno why that should work
either, but it (sometimes) does. (www.google.com will find you the
instructions, if you want to try it).

  ('run all explorer instances as separate processes' doesn't do what it
says any more .. not since IE6 came out).

fwiw, killing explorer, and letting it restart, or even just logging
off, will often cause the 'missing' icons to reappear. (/sacrilege: So
will running Win2k. Ooops, just kidding. /egelircas ).

--
GSV   Three Minds in a Can

1. Missing taskbar icons when programs are minimized

Suddenly I'm unable to see the program icons on the
taskbar when the programs are minimized.
I can still access them from ALT-TAB or Task Manager.
I've tried playing around with all of the taskbar
properties, selecting and de-selecting different
toolbars, and even tried different recovery techniques
with out any results.
None of the FAQs or help nets have this exact problem and
all of the solutions for other "like" problems are not
helping.
I don't have a record of when they disappeared, so I
can't attribute it to any software load or update?
I am running an alternate language bar, but the icons
were there for months with that installed, however I've
even tried removing the language bar - without results.

2. MSN messenger and MSN Explorer

3. Missing Taskbar Icons? XP-Pro

4. HTML Paragraph breaks in wrong places

5. missing taskbar icons

6. Newsreader for WinCE 1.0

7. Missing Taskbar Icons WMI might be the cause

8. SCRIPT ERROR WHILE PRINTING

9. Missing taskbar icon

10. how to repair system files and missing taskbar + icons?

11. Missing taskbar icons

12. Missing taskbar icon

13. Show desktop icon missing on taskbar