does not shutdown

Post by <namoc... » Mon, 06 Jan 2003 01:04:33

  I have just switched to XP from ME, now my computer
will not shut down automatically from the "It is now safe
to shut down your computer" screen......? I have an
Asustek P2B-F motherboard with the latest bios, but there
are no recent drivers or bios...please help ,thanks

does not shutdown

Post by Doug Knox MS-MV » Mon, 06 Jan 2003 01:28:37

MS-MVP Jim Eshelman has a troubleshooting page for Windows XP shutdown problems. You can find it here:

http://www.aumha.org/a/shtdwnxp.htm

--
Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows XP/ Windows Smart Display
Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes

Post by Thorsten Matzne » Mon, 06 Jan 2003 01:31:36

>  I have just switched to XP from ME, now my computer
>will not shut down automatically from the "It is now safe
>to shut down your computer" screen......?

For this you need to have APM enabled in the Control Panel > Power
Options > APM.

--
(tm)

does not shutdown

Post by Bob Cerell » Mon, 06 Jan 2003 04:26:17

If your computer does not turn off the power when doing a shutdown,
you may need to edit the registry. I have all the correct BIOS and Power
settings and still needed to do this.

  1.. Start Regedit
  2.. Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop
  3.. Edit the key PowerOffActive and give it a value of 1
  4.. You can do the same in HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop
You can download a reg file here
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/reg/power_down.reg

Bob Cerelli
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/

Quote:>   I have just switched to XP from ME, now my computer
> will not shut down automatically from the "It is now safe
> to shut down your computer" screen......? I have an
> Asustek P2B-F motherboard with the latest bios, but there
> are no recent drivers or bios...please help ,thanks

1. can not shutdown or shuwdown to dos mode after installing Norton Anti Virus in Win95?

After installing Norton ANti Virus shipped with Netscape Navigator Power
Pack on Win95, I find that I can't shutdown the computer, it will
reboot automatically if I use start->shutdown to shutdown the
computer. Nor can I shutdown the computer in MSDOS mode, further I can
not run any DOS applications. It seems that this has something to do
with the SYMANTEC\symevnt.386 file. After moving the
file to a different location, win95 can't load it, and everything
seems to be OK. What's the use of this file? It seems that without loading
it, Norton Antivirus still runs well. But now win95 on startup will
complain that it can't load the file, and pause for users to hit
return key. The message suggest delete the entry from windows registry or
program.ini and win.ini file. I can't find the entry in program.ini
and win.ini file. How can I delete it from windows registry? Thanks a
lot.

--

Queen's University               Tel: (613) 545-2723 (o)
Kingston, Ontario K7L 3N6             (613) 547-1353 (h)

2. test

3. Help running a DOS program NOT in DOS window

4. Turning Screen Lock off

5. Crippled COleDateTime Format Command

6. Weird one here, dos batch not executing, no activity from dos prompt

7. Tuning to listen FM RAdio through Media Player

8. DOS Long File Name backup and restore in DOS (Not Windows)

9. Wierd problem where DOS program will run in a Window, but not in DOS MODE

10. Win 3.1 Dos Icon will not take me to Dos

11. Shutdown or Restart must be done twice..

12. DOS default shutdown