Using Remote Desktop to access Win2k box

Using Remote Desktop to access Win2k box

Post by Pete » Mon, 19 Nov 2001 05:53:40

Is this possible? I popped in the XP disk (into the Win2k box) and choose
other and put in the Remote Desktop client. I can see my XP box from the
Win2k box OK(home LAN), but that isn't what I want. I want to run my Win2k
box  from my XP box. The Win2k box is a file and print server that I don't
even have a monitor or keyboard on. It has a switchbox with my wife's PC. It
would be nice if for the few times I need to get on that box I could just do
it remotely. I suppose I could upgrade it to XP too, but it's only a 133MHz
PC with 128MB RAM. As I said, it's a kind of "server" for us, it has a big
HDD and 3 parallel ports for our printers. I sure don't access it enough to
justify buying PCAnywhere. I also heard that PCA messes up the login screen
even with the new 10.5 version. The stuff I found on the web and in the MS
Knowledge base keep referring to terminal services, which don't come with
Win2k Pro, only server. Is there a way to install terminal services on Win2k
Pro Workstation? I have MSDN so I have a Win2k server CD avaible to me.

Thanks,
--Pete

Using Remote Desktop to access Win2k box

Post by Rick Zema » Mon, 19 Nov 2001 10:44:21

It sounds to me that you just want to share the files and printers with the other machines.  You don't need to CONTROL the machine, just use file and printer sharing.  Setup a standard TCP/IP network, and configure the extra machine to share the files and printers.  No extra software is needed.

-Rick

> Is this possible? I popped in the XP disk (into the Win2k box) and choose
> other and put in the Remote Desktop client. I can see my XP box from the
> Win2k box OK(home LAN), but that isn't what I want. I want to run my Win2k
> box  from my XP box. The Win2k box is a file and print server that I don't
> even have a monitor or keyboard on. It has a switchbox with my wife's PC. It
> would be nice if for the few times I need to get on that box I could just do
> it remotely. I suppose I could upgrade it to XP too, but it's only a 133MHz
> PC with 128MB RAM. As I said, it's a kind of "server" for us, it has a big
> HDD and 3 parallel ports for our printers. I sure don't access it enough to
> justify buying PCAnywhere. I also heard that PCA messes up the login screen
> even with the new 10.5 version. The stuff I found on the web and in the MS
> Knowledge base keep referring to terminal services, which don't come with
> Win2k Pro, only server. Is there a way to install terminal services on Win2k
> Pro Workstation? I have MSDN so I have a Win2k server CD avaible to me.

> Thanks,
> --Pete

Using Remote Desktop to access Win2k box

Post by Pete » Mon, 19 Nov 2001 11:34:22

Well thanks, but I've been doing that for a couple of years/computers now.
Most of the time it just sits there sharing files and printing documents.
However, there are times I do need to sit down at it's UI. Checking event
log, installing software, seeing if there is a problem with one of the
printers (if someone isn't getting a printout, is their PC or the "server"),
etc. As I said, those times are rare (couple of times a week at most), but
there are times when I need to "get on" that PC. I've done IS type of work
in the past, and for the last 5 years have been a senior software developer
for a medical diagnostics company; I'm no stranger to NT or networking. My
question is weather I can remotely access that windows 2000 box from my XP
station. I was hoping there was some MCSE or equivalent that could give me,
if not an answer, at least the right direction to go looking for one.

--Pete

It sounds to me that you just want to share the files and printers with the
other machines.  You don't need to CONTROL the machine, just use file and
printer sharing.  Setup a standard TCP/IP network, and configure the extra
machine to share the files and printers.  No extra software is needed.

-Rick

Quote:> Is this possible? I popped in the XP disk (into the Win2k box) and choose
> other and put in the Remote Desktop client. I can see my XP box from the
> Win2k box OK(home LAN), but that isn't what I want. I want to run my Win2k
> box  from my XP box. The Win2k box is a file and print server that I don't
> even have a monitor or keyboard on. It has a switchbox with my wife's PC.
It
> would be nice if for the few times I need to get on that box I could just
do
> it remotely. I suppose I could upgrade it to XP too, but it's only a
133MHz
> PC with 128MB RAM. As I said, it's a kind of "server" for us, it has a big
> HDD and 3 parallel ports for our printers. I sure don't access it enough
> justify buying PCAnywhere. I also heard that PCA messes up the login
screen
> even with the new 10.5 version. The stuff I found on the web and in the MS
> Knowledge base keep referring to terminal services, which don't come with
> Win2k Pro, only server. Is there a way to install terminal services on
Win2k
> Pro Workstation? I have MSDN so I have a Win2k server CD avaible to me.

> Thanks,
> --Pete

Using Remote Desktop to access Win2k box

Post by Pete » Mon, 19 Nov 2001 13:06:41

Well, in case anybody is interested I found a way to do EXACTLY what I
wanted to and it's GNU freeware!! There is software avaible at
http://www.rawsoup.com/ called RTVNC. it is based on WinVNC From AT&T labs
(I haven't looked at WinVNC yet as RTVNC does what I want! -- VNC stands for
Virtual Network Computing). No file transfer (I don't care, it's on my LAN,
I can transfer files with Explorer!) and no fancy call back stuff (well it's
just on the other side of the room!) so for me it's just what I wanted.
Access to my "server" from my XP station! Hope this may help someone else
out too.

--Pete

Quote:> Is this possible? I popped in the XP disk (into the Win2k box) and choose
> other and put in the Remote Desktop client. I can see my XP box from the
> Win2k box OK(home LAN), but that isn't what I want. I want to run my Win2k
> box  from my XP box. The Win2k box is a file and print server that I don't
> even have a monitor or keyboard on. It has a switchbox with my wife's PC.
It
> would be nice if for the few times I need to get on that box I could just
do
> it remotely. I suppose I could upgrade it to XP too, but it's only a
133MHz
> PC with 128MB RAM. As I said, it's a kind of "server" for us, it has a big
> HDD and 3 parallel ports for our printers. I sure don't access it enough
> justify buying PCAnywhere. I also heard that PCA messes up the login
screen
> even with the new 10.5 version. The stuff I found on the web and in the MS
> Knowledge base keep referring to terminal services, which don't come with
> Win2k Pro, only server. Is there a way to install terminal services on
Win2k
> Pro Workstation? I have MSDN so I have a Win2k server CD avaible to me.

> Thanks,
> --Pete

Using Remote Desktop to access Win2k box

Post by David Denmar » Mon, 19 Nov 2001 14:02:04

Congrats Pete. I often use VNC for some remote administration tools on OS's that don't have a remote
control feature.

--
David Denmark, MCSE+I, MCDBA
Associate Expert

| Well, in case anybody is interested I found a way to do EXACTLY what I
| wanted to and it's GNU freeware!! There is software avaible at
| http://www.rawsoup.com/ called RTVNC. it is based on WinVNC From AT&T labs
| (I haven't looked at WinVNC yet as RTVNC does what I want! -- VNC stands for
| Virtual Network Computing). No file transfer (I don't care, it's on my LAN,
| I can transfer files with Explorer!) and no fancy call back stuff (well it's
| just on the other side of the room!) so for me it's just what I wanted.
| Access to my "server" from my XP station! Hope this may help someone else
| out too.
|
| --Pete
|

| > Is this possible? I popped in the XP disk (into the Win2k box) and choose
| > other and put in the Remote Desktop client. I can see my XP box from the
| > Win2k box OK(home LAN), but that isn't what I want. I want to run my Win2k
| > box  from my XP box. The Win2k box is a file and print server that I don't
| > even have a monitor or keyboard on. It has a switchbox with my wife's PC.
| It
| > would be nice if for the few times I need to get on that box I could just
| do
| > it remotely. I suppose I could upgrade it to XP too, but it's only a
| 133MHz
| > PC with 128MB RAM. As I said, it's a kind of "server" for us, it has a big
| > HDD and 3 parallel ports for our printers. I sure don't access it enough
| > justify buying PCAnywhere. I also heard that PCA messes up the login
| screen
| > even with the new 10.5 version. The stuff I found on the web and in the MS
| > Knowledge base keep referring to terminal services, which don't come with
| > Win2k Pro, only server. Is there a way to install terminal services on
| Win2k
| > Pro Workstation? I have MSDN so I have a Win2k server CD avaible to me.
| >
| > Thanks,
| > --Pete

Using Remote Desktop to access Win2k box

Post by Crispi » Wed, 21 Nov 2001 02:43:35

No, you would have to install XP Pro or Win2k Server in order to get
Terminal Services on the machine.

My advice is to get WinVNC.  It's free and a great little program for
remote destop sharing over a network.

http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/

>Well thanks, but I've been doing that for a couple of years/computers now.
>Most of the time it just sits there sharing files and printing documents.
>However, there are times I do need to sit down at it's UI. Checking event
>log, installing software, seeing if there is a problem with one of the
>printers (if someone isn't getting a printout, is their PC or the "server"),
>etc. As I said, those times are rare (couple of times a week at most), but
>there are times when I need to "get on" that PC. I've done IS type of work
>in the past, and for the last 5 years have been a senior software developer
>for a medical diagnostics company; I'm no stranger to NT or networking. My
>question is weather I can remotely access that windows 2000 box from my XP
>station. I was hoping there was some MCSE or equivalent that could give me,
>if not an answer, at least the right direction to go looking for one.

>--Pete

>It sounds to me that you just want to share the files and printers with the
>other machines.  You don't need to CONTROL the machine, just use file and
>printer sharing.  Setup a standard TCP/IP network, and configure the extra
>machine to share the files and printers.  No extra software is needed.

>-Rick

>> Is this possible? I popped in the XP disk (into the Win2k box) and choose
>> other and put in the Remote Desktop client. I can see my XP box from the
>> Win2k box OK(home LAN), but that isn't what I want. I want to run my Win2k
>> box  from my XP box. The Win2k box is a file and print server that I don't
>> even have a monitor or keyboard on. It has a switchbox with my wife's PC.
>It
>> would be nice if for the few times I need to get on that box I could just
>do
>> it remotely. I suppose I could upgrade it to XP too, but it's only a
>133MHz
>> PC with 128MB RAM. As I said, it's a kind of "server" for us, it has a big
>> HDD and 3 parallel ports for our printers. I sure don't access it enough
>> justify buying PCAnywhere. I also heard that PCA messes up the login
>screen
>> even with the new 10.5 version. The stuff I found on the web and in the MS
>> Knowledge base keep referring to terminal services, which don't come with
>> Win2k Pro, only server. Is there a way to install terminal services on
>Win2k
>> Pro Workstation? I have MSDN so I have a Win2k server CD avaible to me.

>> Thanks,
>> --Pete

1. Using Remote Desktop to Run Winamp on my remote Box

I have Windows XP on Both my Laptop and My Desktop Box,

I have my desktop box connected to my Home theatre Amp.

what i want to do is control winamp on my Desktop box from my laptop, so
that i can play music to my Amp. simple enough i figured.

however the problem is that when I remotely use winamp on my laptop, it
plays on my laptop, when i actually want it to play on my desktop box out to
my Amp.

I'm pretty sure I'm in the desktop box remote window running it, but it
plays it on the laptop and not the desktop. because I

Is there some setting for this? any help is appreciated
thanks in advance,
slip.

2. IBM Thinkpad keyboard not responding

3. Can you access local drives connecting to Remote Desktop from Win2K?

4. stubborn battery part2

5. Possible to connect to Win2K server using Remote Desktop in XP?

6. Is it supposed to do this??.....

7. Can you access local drives connecting to Remote Desktop from Win2K?

8. Can't Rotate Pictures

9. Connecting to Windows 2K box using remote desktop

10. Can't get XP Remote Desktop to See a Win2K desktop

11. How to remotely access files without using Remote Desktop?

12. Remote Desktop access using SprintPCS Vision Network

13. using remote desktop to access broadband internet ?