Copying to external HD stops!

Post by deviliscious.. » Sun, 02 Oct 2005 01:14:20

Generic external USB2 HD casing with Seagate 28.5 Gb HD in it. Windows
automatically recognizes it no problem. i can view files. i created
partition and formatted.

Problem is when I start copying. I copied several folders amounting to
16GB. Everytime I do that, in the middle of copying (45 seconds or
something like that), copy fails and the external HD disappears in
windows.

Tried with another HD on same USB2 casing and same thing happens.

Is this a known issue? What's the problem and how do i solve it. please
help.

Copying to external HD stops!

Post by Bob » Sun, 02 Oct 2005 02:18:07

Drive pulling to much power and the USB port shutting it down?

> Generic external USB2 HD casing with Seagate 28.5 Gb HD in it. Windows
> automatically recognizes it no problem. i can view files. i created
> partition and formatted.

> Problem is when I start copying. I copied several folders amounting to
> 16GB. Everytime I do that, in the middle of copying (45 seconds or
> something like that), copy fails and the external HD disappears in
> windows.

> Tried with another HD on same USB2 casing and same thing happens.

> Is this a known issue? What's the problem and how do i solve it. please
> help.

Copying to external HD stops!

Post by deviliscious.. » Tue, 04 Oct 2005 16:45:39

the USB HD casing has it's own power supply

Copying to external HD stops!

any help here at all?

Post by Malk » Thu, 06 Oct 2005 21:13:22

> any help here at all?

What kind of drive enclosure? Does it have its own fan? If not, the
drive is probably overheating. Get an enclosure with a fan. I have a
Thermaltake one (I like the 5.25" one best for air flow) which I like a
lot.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

1. How do I save/copy local folders to external HD

Last time I lost my Desktop HD, I wished I would have copied my local
folders. I save a lot of NG posts and like to refer to them at a later time.
I tried to copy or send the files, but it didn't work. How do I do that, or
is it not possible? Many thanks in advance...........PM

2. Bluetooth/Activesync for pocket pc

3. copying audio from DAT (external) to HD > CD

4. Roxio Easy CD Creator

5. copy HD to USB HD for back up

6. windows xp and processor slowing down

7. Copying e-mail addresses & folders from former HD to new HD

8. Compromised!!??

9. XP Pro-How to copy hd C:\ to HD d:\ &make d:\ bootable ?

10. Copy Entire HD to new HD

11. Mismatch errors copying files HD -> HD

12. Deleted files are automatically copied--how do I stop copies?

13. External HD for SGI Indy