Want to get rid of XP

Post by JimInN » Sat, 03 May 2003 05:00:06

I have Win98se and would like to remove XP all together.
The start up disc for WIN98se said that I cannot install
this program with this version of windows running. I know
how to get to the command prompt, but how do I change my
drive letter to my cd (drive:e) and run the program? I am
at my wits end with this version of Windows for now. I
just want to go back to what I had. Any thoughts?

JimInNH

Want to get rid of XP

Post by purplehaz0 » Sat, 03 May 2003 05:07:07

Boot to a win9x floppy boot disk. (get one at www.bootdisk.com) At the a:\
prompt type fdisk, hit enter, delete all partitions, create new partitions,
exit, re-boot to the floppy again, At a:\ prompt type format c:\, hit enter.
When format is done, switch to cd drive (cd d:\ or e:\), have win98 cd in,
type setup, hit enter, win98 installs.
What probs do you have with XP, why do you want to go back to win98?

Quote:> I have Win98se and would like to remove XP all together.
> The start up disc for WIN98se said that I cannot install
> this program with this version of windows running. I know
> how to get to the command prompt, but how do I change my
> drive letter to my cd (drive:e) and run the program? I am
> at my wits end with this version of Windows for now. I
> just want to go back to what I had. Any thoughts?

> JimInNH

Want to get rid of XP

Post by Wesle » Sat, 03 May 2003 05:21:38

You might just want to type the exact thing you want to
go to.  in example e:\setup.exe and that will execute the
program
Hope this helps
--but heck what do i know im just 14--
Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>I have Win98se and would like to remove XP all together.
>The start up disc for WIN98se said that I cannot install
>this program with this version of windows running. I
know
>how to get to the command prompt, but how do I change my
>drive letter to my cd (drive:e) and run the program? I
am
>at my wits end with this version of Windows for now. I
>just want to go back to what I had. Any thoughts?

>JimInNH
>.

Want to get rid of XP

Post by JimInN » Sat, 03 May 2003 05:24:55

I appreciate you help! Thank You!

I am not having any problems with XP Pro, its just that I
assured my girlfriend that it would be basicaly the same
as WIN98 and needless to say, its not. She hates it. So, I
am going to build me a mega * machine and I'll use
the XP pro. Throw in some mega RAM on a P4 3.06 machine
and then she'll be crying that she wants my computer. :)

Thanks again for your prompt response.

Jim

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Boot to a win9x floppy boot disk. (get one at

www.bootdisk.com) At the a:\
Quote:>prompt type fdisk, hit enter, delete all partitions,

create new partitions,
Quote:>exit, re-boot to the floppy again, At a:\ prompt type

format c:\, hit enter.
>When format is done, switch to cd drive (cd d:\ or e:\),
have win98 cd in,
>type setup, hit enter, win98 installs.
>What probs do you have with XP, why do you want to go
back to win98?

>> I have Win98se and would like to remove XP all together.
>> The start up disc for WIN98se said that I cannot install
>> this program with this version of windows running. I
know
>> how to get to the command prompt, but how do I change my
>> drive letter to my cd (drive:e) and run the program? I
am
>> at my wits end with this version of Windows for now. I
>> just want to go back to what I had. Any thoughts?

>> JimInNH

>.

Want to get rid of XP

Post by Michael Steven » Sat, 03 May 2003 08:01:42

> I have Win98se and would like to remove XP all together.
> The start up disc for WIN98se said that I cannot install
> this program with this version of windows running. I know
> how to get to the command prompt, but how do I change my
> drive letter to my cd (drive:e) and run the program? I am
> at my wits end with this version of Windows for now. I
> just want to go back to what I had. Any thoughts?

> JimInNH

Follow the steps in the link below.
Copy and pste the link into your web browser.
http://michaelstevenstech.com/xpfaq.html#how5

--

Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP

http://michaelstevenstech.com

1. getting winNT and getting rid of win95 or keep them both

What is the software support level of  NT. Is there a lot of software
(games, apps exc.) that are only geared towards Windows 95/98 or is NT
right up there with them.. I have thought about  getting NT and
discarding win95. I'm not too happy with my littleWindows95 right now.

2. Rundll32 Error

3. Getting Rid of OE in XP?

4. remove corrupted windows from hard drive

5. getting rid of an administrator account on xp

6. Failed DNS lookups running Mosaic

7. Getting rid of XP

8. acpi

9. Getting rid of the Folder Customizations from 98 in XP

10. Getting rid of banner/separator pages in XP client

11. Getting rid of XP

12. getting rid of an old XP version

13. Getting rid of xp